: Considering a purchase of a used Escalade

psalmist
05-20-07, 10:01 AM
I am a long time Toyota owner (1990 4Runner then a 1995 Landcruiser). Just before the purchase of a new Crewmax Tundra, my became pregnant with our fourth. Third row of seats are no longer an option, but a requirement. Not impressed with the Sequoia, I began to look into the Yukon XL. Lo and behold, the dealer had a 2004 ESV in that white pearl paint and fully loaded, gorgeous... and within my budget as well. However as a Toyota owner, I have concerns with the reliability of GM products.

Does Cadillac have higher standards for reliability?

What are the trouble spots?

Thank you in advance for helping a Caddy noob.

david

slk230mb
05-20-07, 10:34 AM
With a 2004 you should have the balance of the factory warranty left, I'd look into getting an extended warranty. The things to look out for are transmission and front diff failures. I'd have the fluid changed ASAP.

Levand16
05-20-07, 11:20 AM
I bought my 2002 used and now it has 101K miles, it still runs like new. I hear a few rattles sometimes but I'm sure if I did some looking I could fix that.

psalmist
05-20-07, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the advice. I am used to getting at least 200K before any problems. Hopefully, the Caddy will treat me well.

Cadillacboy
05-20-07, 06:50 PM
Escalade had been the most reliable Cadillac to me .I am looking forward to buying a 'lade back .Hopefully late this year :)
Vortec engine is amazing and if I did , I could drop it in my STS

Playdrv4me
05-20-07, 07:55 PM
Well... I wont venture to say that the Escalade is going to be more reliable than a Land Cruiser, but its certainly reliable enough for a truck.

The key trouble spots are mainly just driveline things, especially the front differential. As noted above, make sure to change the fluids immediately once you have it.

Also Id suggest you get out of the "Toyota mindset" or youre just not going to be satisfied... every little rattle and squeak will get to you and domestic cars are just inherently different than Japanese ones.

If you maintain it properly and understand these few points, then you should enjoy your vehicle well into the 200k mile range. Remember, other than the rear air suspension and some fancy add-ons, its just a truck underneath, and GM trucks are (say it with me now class) the longest lasting, most dependable trucks on the road... as the ol' ad likes to tell us...

Good luck.

caddycruiser
05-20-07, 09:43 PM
Yes, very nice vehicles, but make SURE it has a warranty and get an extended one on top of that, because it's an expensive truck and there are definitely things that can happen with the driveline and suspension that aren't cheap.

That also said, the "quality" level between a Chevy/GMC and a Cadillac is essentially identical, just differentiated by a few different materials and the unique styling.

Should be a very enjoyable ride, but just as was said, don't worry, but also don't 100% expect it to be a Land Cruiser (or even Seqouia) in terms of overall polish and assembly quality. GM's trucks are very much fantastic vehicles, but also not Lexus's or MB's, etc., in a lot of regards--just a bit cruder.

Most of all, take a drive and SEE what you think!:thumbsup:

psalmist
05-21-07, 12:06 AM
Thank you all again for your replies. Your assistance is very much appreciated.

I have owned vehicles other than Toyotas in the past. Volkswagen, Renault, Ford, Mazda and Mitsubishi would be a in the list of brands I have had. The two Toyotas have been the best of the bunch.... the 4runner more so than the Landcruiser. Please understand, I am not married to any brand.

As a child, I well remember the soft sprung Buick 225 and Pontiac Catalina my grandmother owned. The Escalade reminded me of those cars, in a very pleasant manner. It is really neat to change lanes and feel the active suspension adapt. Indeed, the fit and finish are not the same as a the Toyota. The inside door handles and flimsy cup holder lid are a testament to the lackadaisical approach GM has to those qualities, but the overall is far better than they had been in the past. That is not as critical as drivetrain. Corvette or Jaguar, owners expect their vehicle to be temperamental and live with said qualities for the joy of having one of those cars. I simply cannot afford to have a vehicle that I cannot depend on.

hcvone
05-21-07, 08:36 AM
Welcome to the Forum. The 2004 Escalade is a good truck, but with any car/truck it's how your dealership treats you and how good is their service department. I am in the car care business, I have several Tundra owners who hate their trucks, and the fit and finish is poor compared to other of the same trucks, but I have seen that on Cadillac's and Porsche's too. Cadillac has been very good to me, but I have owned many too, and that helps. Good luck with whatever you purchase. :)

psalmist
05-21-07, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the Forum. The 2004 Escalade is a good truck, but with any car/truck it's how your dealership treats you and how good is their service department. I am in the car care business, I have several Tundra owners who hate their trucks, and the fit and finish is poor compared to other of the same trucks, but I have seen that on Cadillac's and Porsche's too. Cadillac has been very good to me, but I have owned many too, and that helps. Good luck with whatever you purchase. :)

Well, the best service department is the one you do not need. Of course, premium service when you need it is a plus, but no one is married to the place where the vehicle was purchased.

Fit and finish can vary from car to car, no doubt. However, reputations are built on what the typical person can expect. I have NO desire to defend Toyotas on a Cadillac board, especially trolling an argument. I really would love to buy the Escalade since it seem to meet many of my criteria, but I would love some level of reassurance that the Caddy will run reliably. It would seem that this site has given me some insight, to which I am very grateful.

Thank you again,
david

hcvone
05-22-07, 07:14 AM
Well, the best service department is the one you do not need. Of course, premium service when you need it is a plus, but no one is married to the place where the vehicle was purchased.

Thank you again,
david

You will need service at some point, maybe warranty service, and a good dealership can make a world of difference. I have owned and still do own BMW's, Porsche's, Benz's, Jag's and even a 550 Ferrari, along with a Range Rover, 11 Corvettes and 26 Grand Cherokee's to name some of the cars/SUV's, and Cadillac has given me the best service and treatment of any car manufacturer so far. My 03' Escalade was the best car/SUV I ever owned. :)

Krug Ford
05-22-07, 03:12 PM
I can get some nice ones. I have a few nice ones now.. black Escalade and a ESV in red and white.

I only sell them Certified Cadillac so you have a bumper to bumper warranty with no money out of pocket when you take it to any dealer this is for 6 years and 100,000 from the inservice date. It is a great deal. If you flew here I can have you picked up at the airport and you can drive your new Cadillac home.. Well used .. I buy GM exec cars..

psalmist
05-23-07, 09:53 PM
You will need service at some point, maybe warranty service, and a good dealership can make a world of difference. I have owned and still do own BMW's, Porsche's, Benz's, Jag's and even a 550 Ferrari, along with a Range Rover, 11 Corvettes and 26 Grand Cherokee's to name some of the cars/SUV's, and Cadillac has given me the best service and treatment of any car manufacturer so far. My 03' Escalade was the best car/SUV I ever owned. :)

Wow, that is assuredly one heck of a stable!:thumbsup: