: Removing antenna from side window

CaddyinKC
05-19-07, 10:17 PM
My understanding is the side rear window antenna is for on-star and I NEVER ever plan on activating on-star. So my question is, what would happen if I removed the antenna? Is that antenna also used for FM/AM? Is there a small hole in the glass that will need to be 'repaired' or is it flush with the glass once the antenna is removed?

sgilbert
05-19-07, 10:40 PM
If you are referring to the vertical exterior antenna on the RR window, from early '04's, yes, only OnStar. The AM/FM antennas are on the inside of the glass (similar to rear de-icer wires). There is NO HOLE in the glass, as the signal passes thru the glass.

Later '04's and beyond have a small "rubber ducky" antenna on the rear roof above the tailgate.

Remove it if you choose, but for re-sale purposes, you ought to just unscrew it and leave the base intact.

CaddyinKC
05-20-07, 08:51 AM
sgilbert,

I have both an antenna on the right rear window and a 'rubber ducky' on my roof. I thought the 'rubber ducky' was for the GPS system and the antenna on the side window was for on-star?

I am THRILLED to know I can remove the side antenna and the glass will be smooth. I'm assuming I should remove it like removing badges off of the back of a car?

sgilbert
05-20-07, 10:41 AM
BOTH? I'm confused! :hmm:

The GPS antenna is on the windshield behind the rear view mirror.

CaddyinKC
05-20-07, 11:55 AM
Yep, I HAD both. The ugly one on the rear side window has been REMOVED! Man, I hated the look of that thing...now I'm wishing I would of asked about removing it months ago. Just a little fishing line between the antenna base and glass and 'presto' it's gone!

When I sale it and the buyer plans on using on-star, I'll just get some double-sticky tape and put it back on. Of course if I trade it in, I'm sure the dealer would never notice! :D

ewill3rd
05-20-07, 01:15 PM
If you sell it after Jan 1 2008 it won't work anyway, they'll have to get a digital upgrade before they can re-activate the system and that will come with a new antenna so the old one won't be needed anyway.

The roof antenna is for XM, you must have U2K.
Some combination antennas have the OnStar GPS and Satellite antennas together, some have the GPS antenna for the OnStar system next to the rear view mirror on the windshield.
I guess this is an '04?

CaddyinKC
05-20-07, 06:47 PM
Yep, it's an 2004. I will definitely keep it until January 1, 2008 so I guess I'll just toss the antenna.

SRT ACE
03-20-09, 11:26 PM
Bringing this thread back from the depths...

Can anyone comment on what's the best substance for removing the remnants of the double sided tape? I tried some mineral spirits and it is still very tough to work off. Other ideas?

CaddyinKC, if still around, did you remove the antenna block on the inside of the window as well? I was thinking of removing it and tucking the wire up and under the head liner.

George Ware
03-21-09, 03:13 AM
When we bought our 04 SRX I removed the side ant..........bad move!
My wife uses Onstar, most of her calls where crappy!
I went to a Alltel store and bought a glass mount ant system and only installed the outside ant, now everything works fine.

George Ware

srx05v8
03-21-09, 09:06 AM

Can anyone comment on what's the best substance for removing the remnants of the double sided tape? I tried some mineral spirits and it is still very tough to work off. Other ideas?

try WD-40, and maybe a blower drier to warm the thing up...

CaddyinKC
03-21-09, 09:26 AM

CaddyinKC, if still around, did you remove the antenna block on the inside of the window as well? I was thinking of removing it and tucking the wire up and under the head liner.

No, I did not remove the interior block. That one doesn't bother me and I wanted to keep intact in case the next owner wants to use it.

Yep, WD40 would work or I used some GOO GONE.

conedoctor
03-21-09, 12:36 PM
I don't have any of these problems removing mine, is wants to remove itself and after reading this I will ease its passing later today.