: "Service vehicle soon"

da_thrilla
05-16-07, 10:51 AM
Hey guys,

I think i made a thread on this before, searched but couldnt find it. Anyhow, I keep on getting the "service vehicle soon" msg everytime i turn the car on, went to dealer on several occasions, he couldnt find a code, and even reset the diagnostic system or whatever...what could be the reason behind this msg, owners manual isnt very helpful in this regard...

any input greatly appreciated...

TSS
05-16-07, 11:38 AM
You could also call Onstar from the car when it happens (if you have onstar active - they can read the code remotely).

john d
05-16-07, 02:07 PM
You could also call Onstar from the car when it happens (if you have onstar active - they can read the code remotely).
I'm really anxious to hear how that works.
I tried that and was told that the SRX didn't have remote diagnostic like all the other GM Onstar cars.
Do you really get what you pay for?
Just one more thing ......

TSS
05-16-07, 03:34 PM
I tried that and was told that the SRX didn't have remote diagnostic like all the other GM Onstar cars.

Really? Wow. I honestly have not tried it in this vehicle. It has worked for all my other Caddys - even with the analog systems. That is strange. Maybe EWILL knows why.....

Dinger77
05-16-07, 06:13 PM
If it is an early V8 model, the Onstar diagnostic will vary. It has something to do with the oil life system. If your car tells you how much oil life you have left, it should have the diagnostics. Not positive though. On the part about your dealership not being able to find the problem. If the computer trips a code, it will log it, and they should be able to find it with a tech2. Keep taking it back, but take it to them right when it trips the check engine light. Remember what you were doing when it trips, if it was raining, if you had the a/c on, etc. Then you can tell the service writer exactly what it is doing when it trips the code. It sounds like a miss. When the engine misses more than once in a short period of time, it will trip the light, but then it won't miss for another 80 miles. If you were to keep driving the car, after 40 ignition cranks, the car will reset the check engine light (turning it off.) It definitely does not sound like a big problem.

ewill3rd
05-17-07, 06:43 AM
Any vehicle that is equipped with OnStar has the capability to communicate with other modules on the data bus.
I don't know the specifics of the remote diagnostic service regarding body electrical problems but I can't see how they wouldn't be able to check for various body codes.

One problem you may have is a "service VEHICLE soon" is very different from a "service ENGINE soon" light.
Look at your copies of the repair order. Make sure the advisor wrote it up properly. If the tech was checking the powertrain control system then he may find no codes even though some may be stored in the body modules.
This can be a common problem as some advisors don't really know there can be a difference. They hear (and sometimes customers say) "service soon" and they figure it is the engine light and fill in the blanks with their own opinion.

What year is your vehicle?

da_thrilla
05-17-07, 08:32 AM
Ok guys just to clarify some stuff, my srx is an 2005 v6...around 34,000 miles, just had a intermediate service (oil change), i DO NOT get a engine light, just a message on the sat nav with the eact message of "service vehicle soon". the service isnt due for a couple of thousand and ive been getting this before too. Finally, i am in switzerland and there is no onstar here...

thanks for the feedbacks!

dkozloski
05-19-07, 05:07 PM
Ok guys just to clarify some stuff, my srx is an 2005 v6...around 34,000 miles, just had a intermediate service (oil change), i DO NOT get a engine light, just a message on the sat nav with the eact message of "service vehicle soon". the service isnt due for a couple of thousand and ive been getting this before too. Finally, i am in switzerland and there is no onstar here...

thanks for the feedbacks!
It sounds to me like they neglected to reset the Oil Life Monitor System when they changed the oil. The car still thinks the oil needs to be changed. Check your owners manual for how to reset it yourself.

da_thrilla
05-20-07, 10:13 AM
Thanks, but the oil life monitor was reset by the dealer, checked when they gave the car back to me!

ewill3rd
05-20-07, 01:17 PM
As I mentioned "Service Vehicle Soon" has to do with a body electrical problem.

If the advisor told the tech "service soon" they probably checked engine codes only. (of which there were none)

If you saw that message some body control codes are set, someone needs to check them.

da_thrilla
05-20-07, 06:50 PM
intresting, in order for me to explain that in french to the guy, could you possibly elaborate on what you mean by "body control parts"?

thanks again.

ewill3rd
05-21-07, 08:52 AM
As an example on some Devilles the "service vehicle soon" light will come on if the car detects a fault in the brake light circuit.
There are many things that can cause that light to come on, but they are related to the body electrical system and not necessarily the engine or transmission.

If I could think of a better example I would give it to you.

I know about 20 words in French, and 10 of those are numbers!
I'd have to look up some specific information to be able to tell you better than that.

dkozloski
05-21-07, 10:59 AM
As an example on some Devilles the "service vehicle soon" light will come on if the car detects a fault in the brake light circuit.
There are many things that can cause that light to come on, but they are related to the body electrical system and not necessarily the engine or transmission.

If I could think of a better example I would give it to you.

I know about 20 words in French, and 10 of those are numbers!
I'd have to look up some specific information to be able to tell you better than that.
The other ten words would get his face slapped.:)

ewill3rd
05-21-07, 12:38 PM
True that :D