: 93 4.6 dies at random then restarts

chuck628
04-02-04, 06:30 AM
Hi, first time here. 93 Seville 4.6 dies while driving. (even at 70 mph) Pull over safely (so far) restarts fine. Replaced fuel filter and crank sensor. Still no good. Talking about coil pack (expensive) or fuel pressure regulator. Anyone out there with other ideas. Mechanic said no codes thrown. Thanks very much guys, appreciate it. CR.

mhansen644
07-16-04, 11:43 PM
HI, I am having the same problem with my 92 deville 4.9 . Let me know if you find the fix? thanks

bbozsik
07-17-04, 12:13 AM
I'm pretty sure there are two crank sensors? Not positive, though. Do you have a service engine soon light on when this happens? Check to see if anything is in history. Something causes that to happen and the car's ECU should know.

caddyshack24
07-17-04, 12:43 AM
I have a question.. wait nevermind. My 1993 4.6 dies when i have the A/C running and let off the gas (sometimes) .. the cause is a faulty ISC motor.

Can you pin point it to say.. a certain thing you do? that would really help.
Also, does it buck and jump like fuel starvation, any symptoms would be helpful also.

If it happens when you let off the gas, i'd say you have the same problem as me. It sets no codes in this situation

eldorado1
07-17-04, 11:51 AM
Does it start chugging before it dies? Or just it just act like the power was cut? If the latter, I would lean towards replacing the other crank sensor, and the cam sensor. The ignition system needs all 3 sensors to operate correctly. I don't think they're too terribly expensive, and they're easy to replace yourself.

Something else it could be (again, depending on symptoms), would be a clogged cat, although I think the post-cat o2 sensor might detect that and set a code......

Quadrasteer
07-17-04, 09:03 PM
I had the same problem on my '99 Deville. They changed the crank sensors and it did not help. When I changed the plug wires & the plugs it cured it. The plug wires leak and somehow kill the ignition. Make sure you use the original Platinum plugs & gap them properly. Delco wires are fine.