: Big brake kit yes no?

PhiNally
05-14-07, 08:23 PM
Iíve been doing some reading and it seems to that it would be a good idea to upgrade to a big brake kit for larger wheels. How do you feel, do you think it is necessary to upgrade to a big brake kit if you have larger wheels, i.e. 22 inches plus.

Caddydude420
05-14-07, 09:18 PM
Some say their good to have but not necessary. Others will write death threats telling you danger to everyone on the road.

I put 24s on practically before I even owned the truck so I can't tell you the difference is night and day. I have the stock brakes and it's not bad. It's a huge ass truck, I wouldn't expect it to stop on a dime.

I would like to upgrade my brakes but I'm a baller on a budget. I can't really pull 2g's out of my back pocket for the brakes and then another 2g's in the winter time to buy 20's because the stockers won't fit.

bsmooth65
05-14-07, 09:20 PM
It is definatly worth spending the money now. I went with Baer Brakes on my ride and it made a huge difference in perfomance and looks.:thumbsup:

gforceext
05-14-07, 10:24 PM
I just ordered the baer Alumasport front package. my 07 with 26's does not stop. The wheels made a huge diff.

Sloppy D
05-14-07, 10:37 PM
Ive got an 03 with 20's about to go to 24's. I have to say even if you have 20's if you have the money to spend it is one of the best investments you can make, I dont have death stories but it makes a HUGE diffierence in the stopping power, Lowered with hotchkis sway bars and a big break kit this big ass truck handles like its on rails and honestly stops on a dime. I know its not made for that but damn its sweet when it does

hcvone
05-15-07, 07:19 AM
With 22's depending on how and where you drive your stock brakes maybe fine, if going to 24's and 26's you will probably want larger brakes due to the added weight of the wheels and tires. You could try different brake pads first, the stock pads are ceramic, which is great for long life and very little dust, but you do give up some stopping distance. Something like Hawk HPS pads will stop much better than the stock pads, you will be cleaning your wheels more often, but that is the price for being able to stop. ;)

medlines
05-15-07, 09:40 AM
It is definatly worth spending the money now. I went with Baer Brakes on my ride and it made a huge difference in perfomance and looks.:thumbsup:
After you installed the bigger rotors , did you try the OEM 18" wheels to see if they fit ?

SteveSkal
05-15-07, 01:08 PM
I'm planning on 22's in the very near future and I'm sticking with stock brakes but plan on putting crossed drilled and slotted rotors, I'm hoping this will help somewhat.

bsmooth65
05-15-07, 05:09 PM
I didnt put the OEM wheels back on but they were 22's so I'm sure they would fit. as for 18's I doubt it.

srt
05-15-07, 08:17 PM
I've got 22's and my stock stops damn good! I think I'll go Baer, or somthing, when it's time to change the pads. Shit I only drive her like twice a month so the stock will last me a long time.

EXT_Vegas
05-15-07, 08:26 PM
It will make a difference but isn't necessary. I had a lifted 97 Tahoe running 35/12.50/15's running 15x10 Welds using stock brakes. I pulled a 21' Commander with full gear and full of gas. It would definately help but you don't have to change.
I also had a Toyota 4x4 running 15/35/15 Super swampers on 15x10's, a good set of brakes would have surely helped but it stopped well. Just food for thought.

PhiNally
05-15-07, 10:30 PM
I appreciate all the help guys, thanks.

Caddydude420
05-31-07, 11:48 PM
I had my first real run in yesterday. I was driving home from work and a retard completely blew through a stop sign. I was going between 30-40 mph and able to stop in time.

I've been driving around on 24s for 4-5 months now and haven't had a problem breaking. You can get Escalades with stock 22's and to my knowledge, they don't come with any bigger brakes. Then again, I haven't driven in a truck with upgraded brakes so...