: put on magnaflow mufflers still quiet?

smooththg6969
05-14-07, 05:22 PM
well I finally put down the cash for for some magnaflow mufflers and had them put on . Leave the shop and im like WTF Its still quiet I do notice a very low purr but i expected it to be louder. maybe its the clogged cat that they told me I have. My question is when I get the cat changed Should I remove the resonator or will just getting the cat fixed make it louder?

Submariner409
05-14-07, 08:18 PM
:confused: What Cadillac ? That question drives the whole answer....The second "front" single thing is the muffler. The back 2 things are resonators. You have just upgraded to 3 mufflers. Do you have a FSM ? Look up the exhaust system specs and find out what's what. An aftermarket cat should run $200 - $300, installed, for a legal "high performance" model. What makes you think the OEM is clogged? Any cat codes ? Lousy gas mileage ? You could eliminate the primary muffler, but may find things a bit noisy and resonant afterwards. Just thoughts from past experiences.......

fubar569
05-14-07, 10:30 PM
gut them all...no cat, resonator, and no mufflers...

think LS1 with an exhaust that has a viscious bark...

dont ask how i know this is a good thing :thumbsup:

jadcock
05-16-07, 06:42 AM
:confused: What Cadillac ? That question drives the whole answer....The second "front" single thing is the muffler. The back 2 things are resonators. You have just upgraded to 3 mufflers.

It's usually referred to the other way. The first chamber, right behind the cat, is very small, and is a resonator. The two mufflers are mounted aft of the "rear axle", and are what the original poster changed out.

A clogged converter could silence the exhaust, sure. But I would get a second opinion on whether or not the cat is really clogged.

Cadillacboy
05-16-07, 11:09 AM
When I asked the same complaint ,they told me to get rid of the cat,mufflers and changing the exhaust tips to a louder ones .
I don't think by cancelling the resonator itself would work

Shaggy
05-16-07, 11:53 AM
Louder Tips?

Cadillacboy
05-16-07, 01:53 PM
Aftermarket exhaust tips resound louder to OEM ones .My '03 lade was also like that .Having installed the chrome tips ,it would growl much harder to my ears

jadcock
05-16-07, 03:36 PM
I don't think you'd see that much volume change from the tips alone. Removing the resonator will certainly have more of an effect than changing the tips will.

smooththg6969
05-16-07, 09:02 PM
sorry for taking so long to get back on this the car is a 99 seville sls. Well I went and had the resonator removed and that made a big difference Im loving it. Yes there is a drone in the system but I can live with it sounds like a modded 350z but with a deeper rumble . yeah baby I can set off car alarms :lildevil: lol i like it but i got the resonator in the trunk just in case. I got a chance to drive my old car today (93 cprice cop car tru duals no cat 2 chamber flowmasters) and its still louder. got back in the caddy listened to the drone and its liveable compaired to the caprice which makes me sick sometimes.

Shaggy
05-16-07, 10:44 PM
I personally dislike a drone in an exhaust system. When I am on the highway for 4 hours at a time, this gets extremely tiresome. I do however like a deep loud exhaust note on hard acceleration. The problem is how to have both.

I have done exhausts on many many many vehicles over the years, and the exhaust note is only changed by tips if they have a baffle in them. 99% of the time they are strictly cosmetic.

My 2 cents.

jadcock
05-17-07, 06:34 AM
I personally dislike a drone in an exhaust system. When I am on the highway for 4 hours at a time, this gets extremely tiresome. I do however like a deep loud exhaust note on hard acceleration. The problem is how to have both.

No problem, you just have to have a thoroughly designed and engineered system (Corsa) that usually costs much more than just a set of mufflers. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong at all with putting on a set of mufflers, if you can life with the tradeoffs, even if they may be slight.