: XM Quit Working

Rich Schon
05-12-07, 01:00 PM
I have a 2005 STS with navigation. I have lost my XM signal. Rather useless XM tech support (multi calls with them asking their script of questions repeatedly) says the problem is in my vehicle. Everything else in the radio / nav. works. There is no XM signal indicator.
I am out of warranty and refuse to pay the dealer to repair something that should not happen. I will have for less than one more year.
Any simple "check" ideas, or I destined to go the next 11 months without XM?
:confused:

Benjamin Simon
05-12-07, 08:08 PM
Everything you wanted to know about fixing the radio.

c5 rv
05-13-07, 07:08 AM
While on the subject of XM, I dumped the service on my SRX. Is there any way to avoid having the 2 previews appear when I step through the different bands (AM / FM1 / FM2 / XM1 / XM2)?

ewill3rd
05-13-07, 08:09 AM
Rich,
There is a bulletin for '05 STS, they had problems with the original production receivers. If you want to reset the module for free, it should work fine for a long time after that.
Under the back seat on the right side of the car, pull the carpet forward and there is a fuse box. Find the fuse that is labeled "s-band" and pull it out.
Wait a couple minutes and then put it back in.
See if that does the trick.

C5,
You can unplug the module and the radio won't show it as a band selection, however on SRX that is no small task because you have to pull a lot of trim in the back.

Rich Schon
05-15-07, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the help. Will give it it a try!
:) :)

Rich Schon
05-15-07, 09:05 PM
A BIG THANKS to ewill3rd!
My XM is working!
:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

ewill3rd
05-16-07, 05:44 AM
Rich, if it does that again, take it to the dealer.
The bulletin I mentioned above provides for installation of a new design module that doesn't have that problem.
The dealer will need it to act up to be able to order a new one, they are still on parts restriction and we have to call GM to convince them to give us a new one.

cguthrie
05-19-07, 08:18 AM
Slight jump on this thread.

I have a new to me 2005 SG1 and have tried the XM for almost a month, love the content, but the quality seems more tinnish and AM.

The FM quality is terrific, as is the CD and IPOD through the AV, even with super cheap cables. But XM dissapointing.

Is this normal? I've heard XM in other cars and swear the quality was significantly better. Perhaps it's just this version of the tuner?

Thanks,

CG
2005 SG1 27K

AllWheelEric
05-19-07, 05:40 PM
CG:

I dropped the XM for just that reason. I don't think it's a defect in your car but I don't know whether other car models are better. You can get a ton of stuff on 6 MP3 CDs, so the XM won't be missed.

Eric

Onalaska
05-20-07, 07:13 AM
I too do not like the sound from XM. I have it in several vehicles, including the STS, but will most likely drop it once comes up for renewal. It's great on long trips where you have nothing else worth listening to, but the quality of the audio is subpar. CD's and even FM are much better.

Jesda
05-22-07, 02:20 AM
The decoding hardware used by GM (at least in the STS) is outdated. If you listen to an XM tuner from 2002 and compare it to a new unit, the difference is night and day. In addition, overall sound quality has declined for some channels to make bandwidth available for more content.

Watercolors is said to be the best-sounding music channel. Compare it to Mix, which sounds muddy.

Also, XM is currently having a satellite signal outage but waited 12 hours before notifying customers. ETA for repair is 1-2 days.

The FM quality is terrific, as is the CD and IPOD through the AV, even with super cheap cables. But XM dissapointing.

rayainsw
05-22-07, 06:20 AM
http://www.xmradio.com/notices/signaldeg.xmc

Still degraded this AM ( in my Corvette ) ...
- Ray

Caroutisine
05-22-07, 08:02 AM
My 2005 STS has had no problems with XM until just the last couple of days. rayainsw, thanks for posting the link to XM's website. Saved me from contacting them about it. Hope they get it fixed soon. Tuesday AM and mine is still not normal either.

bigdog9586
05-22-07, 03:14 PM
I too thought I was having problems with a dropped signal around trees until I took my motorcycle for a ride and had the same problem.