: '07 oil change - wait for computer warning or not???

ecs177
05-12-07, 11:18 AM
we bought our truck over 1 year ago... last april....we were told emphatically by our salesperson that we do not need to change the oil until the warning tells us to..

well i was talking with the service manager yesterday and he said that the oil should be changed either when the computer tells you to, or after 11 months - whichever comes first..

that was news to me - its been over 12 months - we don't drive her too much.. just has 7,200 miles now and the oil life says like 22% or something like that..

so now i am wondering if we have hurt our baby girl's engine by waiting this long??? we are getting the oil changed next week and will not be driving until then... stupid salesperson should have told us about this as i am all over oil changes on all of our vehicles and was skeptical about waiting for the computer to warn us to begin with....

any thoughts on this????? is our truck ok?????? anyone else been told about this 11 month rule?????

thanks

Dif
05-12-07, 12:32 PM
Just my opinion.
Really hard to say if anything was/is damaged but I learned not to listen to the sales people and sometimes even the service people.
With any new vehicle I get I have always changed the oil after 1500 miles for the first oil change.
Then every 3-4000 after that,.. even with synthetic which I use after about 5-6000 miles.
I would say though if your oil level has stayed full all this time and the oil life has not warned to change it sooner, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
I have never heard about the 11 month thing though.
Used to be with any pretroleum oil besides synthetic, it was 3000 miles or 3 months.
But these are just my thoughts and opinions from my experience and I'm sure someone will post with more helpful info.

Playdrv4me
05-12-07, 03:35 PM
The Oil Life Monitor has a 100 percent "safety" rate built into it. Its ashame the guys from the Northstar forums never come in here because we have some very knowledgeable people in there.

Anyhow, I split my oil changes right in half between the 3000 mile oil change marketing hype, and the OLM which typically goes as much as 12500 miles between intervals. I do mine at right about 8000 miles apart. If the OLM were to go off SOONER than that, then Id use its suggestion. I find this is a reasonable medium between both.

Now, you should NEVER let your oil sit around for more than a year no matter how little youve driven the car. Would you drink a can of soda that sat on the shelf for a year? Probably not... Same goes for the oil, it breaks down over time from sitting around. Im sure you havent hurt anything, but get the oil changed immediately, and from now on dont go over 9 months without changing it, regardless the suggestion of the OLM.

BTW... Many people are unaware that the OLM is an extremely sophisticated piece of technology, it monitors more than just miles driven, but actually engine temp, engine revolutions, and even the amount of fillups in some cases. It is not just some fly by night recommendation that it gives you.

ecs177
05-12-07, 03:39 PM
The Oil Life Monitor has a 100 percent "safety" rate built into it. Its ashame the guys from the Northstar forums never come in here because we have some very knowledgeable people in there.

Anyhow, I split my oil changes right in half between the 3000 mile oil change marketing hype, and the OLM which typically goes as much as 12500 miles between intervals. I do mine at right about 8000 miles apart. If the OLM were to go off SOONER than that, then Id use its suggestion. I find this is a reasonable medium between both.

Now, you should NEVER let your oil sit around for more than a year no matter how little youve driven the car. Would you drink a can of soda that sat on the shelf for a year? Probably not... Same goes for the oil, it breaks down over time from sitting around. Im sure you havent hurt anything, but get the oil changed immediately, and from now on dont go over 9 months without changing it, regardless the suggestion of the OLM.

BTW... Many people are unaware that the OLM is an extremely sophisticated piece of technology, it monitors more than just miles driven, but actually engine temp, engine revolutions, and even the amount of fillups in some cases. It is not just some fly by night recommendation that it gives you.

thats really interesting.. thanks... just wondering - why do you need to change the oil at least once a year if the OLM is so accurate???? if it is so perfect, than why can't it figure out the the oil is old and needs to be changed?????

dkozloski
05-12-07, 05:11 PM
The service manual says that you run the OLM to zero and then you have two more gas tank fillups to get the oil changed or yearly.

Cadillacboy
05-12-07, 06:54 PM
I was using 5W30 in my 'lade and changing it every 7500 miles .I would never let the oil "sit" in my ride more than 6 months .
You can also trust in OLM that's why it is there ;)

ecs177
05-12-07, 07:17 PM
The service manual says that you run the OLM to zero and then you have two more gas tank fillups to get the oil changed or yearly.

thank you

hcvone
05-13-07, 06:46 AM
If your using top of the line synthetic oils like Amsoil, Red Line or Royal Purple a year is no problem, in fact some of these oils can go 25k miles between changes when match with their synthetic oil filter. Having said that I use these synthetic oils and still change my oil every 5k miles, I do it myself so it only costs me the oil and filter. If I was using "regular" oil I would change it evey 3k miles. :)

ecs177
05-13-07, 10:14 AM
If your using top of the line synthetic oils like Amsoil, Red Line or Royal Purple a year is no problem, in fact some of these oils can go 25k miles between changes when match with their synthetic oil filter. Having said that I use these synthetic oils and still change my oil every 5k miles, I do it myself so it only costs me the oil and filter. If I was using "regular" oil I would change it evey 3k miles. :)

do you know if one of these high end oils is the brand that is in the truck when we first pick it up from cadillac???

hcvone
05-14-07, 07:10 AM
No it's cheap oil and non synthetic in the Escalade's. :(

GM-4-LIFE
05-14-07, 01:03 PM
I did the first oil change in my wife's 2007 Escalade at 4,000 miles and then I waited a little too long to do the second oil change. I went 7500 miles on Chevron 5w30 conventional and the factory oil filter.

At 11,325 miles, I switched to Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter. It should now be good for at least 6,000-10,000 miles of service IF we don't have time to change it out. Since Mobil 1 is a synthetic oil, it won't breakdown just sitting in a car for a long period of time. My wife uses the Escalade so much for work that she can't be without it so with that in mind I decided to put the Mobil 1 in it and forget about it. She put 7500 miles on it in 4 months so she drives a lot!

I talked to the technician at my Cadillac dealer that did my oil change for me, and he said that it is a good thing that I switched to the Mobil 1 oil filter. He said it should last a lot longer than the factory AC Delco PF48 oil filter that we have in our 2007 Escalades. He said that he did his own test to see how long the factory oil filter will last and he said at 5,000 miles, the internals of the oil filter no longer filter the oil and the paper inside the oil filter breaks down at a very fast pace. He said on every single 2007 Escalade he has seen, the internals of the oil filter look terrible if the owner has waited more than 5,000 miles between oil changes. He opened up the oil filters to do a true inspection of the filtering media during his tests.

My advice to you would be to switch over to Mobil 1 5w30 oil and the Mobil 1 extended performance filter at your next oil change (part number M1-113) and you won't have to worry about the engine getting damaged. Conventional oil breaks down easily and in some cases quickly. I take my own oil and filter to the dealer and give it to them to change since the dealers don't sell the Mobil 1 filters. After you switch over to Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 filter, you can go by the oil life monitoring system.

SG

Viking88
05-14-07, 01:47 PM
I'm old school, I just change it myself every 3K. The oil life reads about 50-60% at the 3K mark. I have a Z-28 that I bought new in 1989, 305 TPI car that has a true 334K on it, and still runs strong. All I ever did was change the oil every 3K and normal maintence.

ecs177
05-14-07, 04:29 PM
you know reading these posts is p*ssing me off.. i knew i should have never trusted the stupid salesWOMAN or the oil life monitor.. have not driven our truck since i was told about changing the oil after '11 months'.. bringing it tomorrow morning for the oil change.. i pray to god i have not injured the engine.. its been 7200 miles and just over 1 year.....

hcvone
05-14-07, 04:44 PM
You are probably fine, it's important to get the first oil change done sooner than they say, get any metal out as soon as possible, it can only help. :)

ecs177
05-15-07, 09:34 PM
well the oil is finally changed in our truck.. the service manager emphasized to me that going by the oil life monitor is the best thing to do... he said that it is extremely accurate and i should not worry about the fact that it is slightly over a year and my first oil change.. he said to wait until it tells me to change it next time or 1 year.. whatever comes first..

as for the synthetic oil - they advised me not to use it... they said the escalade, unlike the cts and xlr, was made to respond best to regular oil and that synthetic oil might cause leaks or other problems...

fyi everyone...

GM-4-LIFE
05-16-07, 12:34 AM
well the oil is finally changed in our truck.. the service manager emphasized to me that going by the oil life monitor is the best thing to do... he said that it is extremely accurate and i should not worry about the fact that it is slightly over a year and my first oil change.. he said to wait until it tells me to change it next time or 1 year.. whatever comes first..

as for the synthetic oil - they advised me not to use it... they said the escalade, unlike the cts and xlr, was made to respond best to regular oil and that synthetic oil might cause leaks or other problems...

fyi everyone...

The factory filter falls apart inside at 5,000 miles and this was stated by an actual test done by a Cadillac dealership technician. He didn't just state inaccurate facts as he conducted the inspections of the oil filters himself and found that under 5,000 miles the oil filter is fine, but at about 5,000 miles, the factory oil filter just doesn't do it's job and may cause a problem in the long tun.

At your next oil change, whether you use conventional oil or synthetic, (your choice) make the small investment into a Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter (Part # M1-113) and you won't have to worry about sub-par filtering like with the factory oil filter.

It is funny that they told you not to use synthetic motor oil in your Escalade when Cadillac just announced that every single Cadillac starting the 2008 model year (including the Escalade) will be factory filled with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. Of course, Cadillac dealerships don't know what their own parent company (GM) is doing. 2007 Escalades were NOT factory filled with Mobil 1.

You can read the bulletin by clicking or copying and pasting this link: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/exxonmobil/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=20070207006229&ndmHsc=v2*A1104584400000*B1170977883000*C410249159 9000*DgroupByDate*J2*N1001106&newsLang=en&beanID=2030803304&viewID=news_view

If you use Mobil 1 in a new Escalade or any new car for that matter, you won't develop any leaks. That is just plain wrong! If you switch to Mobil 1 in a high mileage vehicle that was running conventional oil during it's high mileage life, you may get leaks through worn seals as synthetic oils work their way through any weak spots due to their high slippery characteristics.

Hope this helps show you that some dealership personnel don't know what they are talking about.

SG

hcvone
05-16-07, 07:08 AM

fyi everyone...

You better find a new dealership if they told you that, just out that all 08' Escalade's will come from the factory with synthetic oil (Mobil 1) engines are not made any different to run synthetic oil, it's just a better choice for performance and longer protection.

GM-4-LIFE
05-16-07, 12:47 PM
You better find a new dealership if they told you that, just out that all 08' Escalade's will come from the factory with synthetic oil (Mobil 1) engines are not made any different to run synthetic oil, it's just a better choice for performance and longer protection.

I agree! I switched our 2007 Escalade over to Mobil 1 oil and the Mobil 1 oil filter so it will protect better and go longer intervals between oil changes.

SG

hcvone
05-16-07, 02:01 PM
I agree! I switched our 2007 Escalade over to Mobil 1 oil and the Mobil 1 oil filter so it will protect better and go longer intervals between oil changes.

SG

It can only help. :)

GM-4-LIFE
05-16-07, 03:49 PM
It can only help. :)

Yes sir! It can't hurt!

SG

ecs177
05-16-07, 04:20 PM
yea i found that hard to believe also.. about synthetic oil not being so good for the truck.. but how on earth can i debate that with them?? its not like i am an expert or anything.. i will look into this further.. it seems like a good idea to me to use a better quality oil / oil filter.... just like using better quality gasoline.. right?? i always fill up with 93 octane regardless of what is 'recommended'....

as for getting a new dealer - they have been good to us.. in fact, during this oil change / tire rotation, etc., they actually removed the dent in the hood caused by me not shutting it correctly.. no charge... maybe those guys are not as knowledgable as you both are, but they mean well i think...

i just need to stay on top of this stuff thru my own independent channels and not depend on their advice all the time.. i think next time i will bring my own synthetic oil and the filter that you are recommending aero1... and ask them to use that instead...

thank you

sj1400
05-16-07, 04:34 PM
For peace of mind I try to always change the oil btw 3-5k miles. I'm not concerned about the oil. The filter is the item that concerns me.

hcvone
05-16-07, 04:46 PM
yea i found that hard to believe also.. about synthetic oil not being so good for the truck.. but how on earth can i debate that with them?? its not like i am an expert or anything.. i will look into this further.. it seems like a good idea to me to use a better quality oil / oil filter.... just like using better quality gasoline.. right?? i always fill up with 93 octane regardless of what is 'recommended'....

as for getting a new dealer - they have been good to us.. in fact, during this oil change / tire rotation, etc., they actually removed the dent in the hood caused by me not shutting it correctly.. no charge... maybe those guys are not as knowledgable as you both are, but they mean well i think...

i just need to stay on top of this stuff thru my own independent channels and not depend on their advice all the time.. i think next time i will bring my own synthetic oil and the filter that you are recommending aero1... and ask them to use that instead...

thank you

Well that is good they take care of you, and as you said listen to what they say, do your research, and then you will have a better idea if they are helping or hurting you with what they say. :)

GM-4-LIFE
05-16-07, 10:49 PM

thank you

Don't listen to anyone at any dealership as they don't always know what's going on. You won't go wrong if you do what I do.

Actually, I took my Cadillac dealer Mobil 1 5W30 Truck & SUV formula instead of Mobil 1 classic as it is a heavier duty version of Mobil 1 and works harder in your engine to protect it under load and abusive conditions. I took my Cadillac dealer this version of Mobil 1 along with the Mobil 1 oil filter. You can't go wrong with this combo. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or email me.

As Carl stated, it is great that they help you out, but as the customer, it is your choice what to do with your car.

Hope this helps.

SG

ecs177
05-17-07, 09:39 AM
For peace of mind I try to always change the oil btw 3-5k miles. I'm not concerned about the oil. The filter is the item that concerns me.

hcvone, aero1, sj1400 - thanks for the advice..

one more thing - about the filter... the service guy told me that the filters that they use are very strong.. he said that the have a metal cage built in and that none of the paper can make its way into the engine because of this design..

i asked him how the filter was when i picked up the truck and he said it was fine and not worn that badly... i guess since like half of our 7200 miles were highway miles on 3 long trips, maybe that would explain why there was not as much wear and tear as the filter that the mechanic told you about with 5000 miles on it aero1...

on a separate note - hcvone - i would like to buy some zaino from you.. how can i go about doing this?? should i get the wipes or the liquid??? can you please give me more info about the product and ordering from you???

thank you

-ecs

hcvone
05-17-07, 10:13 AM
AC Delco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters, are good ones, the standard AC Delco are not very good, but they are what GM puts on. Mobil 1 or the new Amsoil Ea filters are very good. :) E-Mail us at carl@hcvind.com and I can send you the Zaino info, include the color of the car/truck, thanks

GM-4-LIFE
05-17-07, 12:44 PM
You would be better off getting the Mobil 1 oil filter. The GM standard blue PF48 oil filters may be ok if you are going to change your oil out every 3,000 miles, but they are nowhere near the quality of the Mobil 1 oil filters. The Mobil 1 oil filters are designed to go longer intervals, especially with the use of Mobil 1 synthetic oil. You can read up on www.mobil1.com on the oil filters and you will be glad when you get one in your Escalade. Just plan on placing a special order for them because most Kragens and Autozones I checked had every Mobil 1 oil filter part number except the one that fits our Escalades which is the M1-113. Unless the ones in your area have them on the shelf. If they do, pick one up and put it in your garage until your next oil change.

The guy at the dealer that I spoke with cut open a bunch of the used oil filters and really inspected inside of them, he didn't just glance at it and give his opinion. I actually saw him cut open mine and show me how bad the paper had broken down after 7500 miles of driving in 4 months. It was in terrible shape and I was glad I gave him the Mobil 1 oil filter to use.

Carl, too bad AC Delco doesn't make the Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters for the new Escalade. They still only make the UPF44 oil filters which fit the GMT-800 trucks, the old F-bodies, the C5s and 05-06 C6s. Those are great oil filters and they were all I used until I got these newer cars that take the new GM oil filters.

SG

hcvone
05-17-07, 01:20 PM
You would be better off getting the Mobil 1 oil filter. The GM standard blue PF48 oil filters may be ok if you are going to change your oil out every 3,000 miles, but they are nowhere near the quality of the Mobil 1 oil filters. The Mobil 1 oil filters are designed to go longer intervals, especially with the use of Mobil 1 synthetic oil. You can read up on www.mobil1.com on the oil filters and you will be glad when you get one in your Escalade. Just plan on placing a special order for them because most Kragens and Autozones I checked had every Mobil 1 oil filter part number except the one that fits our Escalades which is the M1-113. Unless the ones in your area have them on the shelf. If they do, pick one up and put it in your garage until your next oil change.

The guy at the dealer that I spoke with cut open a bunch of the used oil filters and really inspected inside of them, he didn't just glance at it and give his opinion. I actually saw him cut open mine and show me how bad the paper had broken down after 7500 miles of driving in 4 months. It was in terrible shape and I was glad I gave him the Mobil 1 oil filter to use.

Carl, too bad AC Delco doesn't make the Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters for the new Escalade. They still only make the UPF44 oil filters which fit the GMT-800 trucks, the old F-bodies, the C5s and 05-06 C6s. Those are great oil filters and they were all I used until I got these newer cars that take the new GM oil filters.

SG

The gold were very good, I had several cases of them from my Z06's. Amsoil just came out with the Ea (superfilter) for the 07' Escalade (took long enough) I got a case of them, went back today and they are on backorder. They are good for 25k miles, they are some super synthetic filter. I still change them at 5k with the oil, I keep saying I will let it go for 10k, but I need something to do.

GM-4-LIFE
05-17-07, 02:30 PM
The gold were very good, I had several cases of them from my Z06's. Amsoil just came out with the Ea (superfilter) for the 07' Escalade (took long enough) I got a case of them, went back today and they are on backorder. They are good for 25k miles, they are some super synthetic filter. I still change them at 5k with the oil, I keep saying I will let it go for 10k, but I need something to do.

Carl,

You are too much my friend. By the way, you were always a super nice guy in the past and you still are a class act. Too bad we don't live in the same city or we would be great friends.

Those Amsoil filters are not readily available around here or I may have installed that along with the Mobil 1. I am sure they aren't cheap either. The Mobil 1 filter I bought at Kragen was $10.99 I believe.

SG

hcvone
05-17-07, 05:24 PM
Carl,

You are too much my friend. By the way, you were always a super nice guy in the past and you still are a class act. Too bad we don't live in the same city or we would be great friends.

Those Amsoil filters are not readily available around here or I may have installed that along with the Mobil 1. I am sure they aren't cheap either. The Mobil 1 filter I bought at Kragen was $10.99 I believe.

SG

You will get a kick out of this, I lived in La for about 2 years while my GF at the time was at UCLA doing some of her medical work just before she became a doctor. Lived in Glendale and then Santa Monica, pretty nice for sure. I used to go to Tahoe every April for a few weeks, have not done that the last few years, but when I get out your way I will look you up, I have jet hours that I have to use. :) Good deal on those filters from Mobil, I think my cost was $17.00 on the Amsoil ones. :(

GM-4-LIFE
05-17-07, 05:36 PM
You will get a kick out of this, I lived in La for about 2 years while my GF at the time was at UCLA doing some of her medical work just before she became a doctor. Lived in Glendale and then Santa Monica, pretty nice for sure. I used to go to Tahoe every April for a few weeks, have not done that the last few years, but when I get out your way I will look you up, I have jet hours that I have to use. :) Good deal on those filters from Mobil, I think my cost was $17.00 on the Amsoil ones. :(

Santa Monica is really nice. I am about 20 miles northwest of Santa Monica in Northridge. I was born and raised in West L.A. my whole life, and now live in Porter Ranch which is the north portion of Northridge. Right next to Chatsworth, CA which is the you know what capital of the world. So Cal is great except for the traffic.

Have fun "editing." I guess that's what they call it these days.

If the Amsoil filters go 25K miles with Mobil 1, it is worth the added cost because then you wouldn't have to change your oil for a really long time. I would just hope that the engine is fully protected for 25K miles. That sounds like a really long service interval.

SG

hcvone
05-17-07, 05:45 PM
Is Northridge near Encino? Been there.

GM-4-LIFE
05-17-07, 05:50 PM
Is Northridge near Encino? Been there.

About a 15 minute drive south of where I live is Encino. Northridge is in the northwest part of the San Fernando Valley between North Hills and Chatsworth. Northridge is right off the 118 freeway and Encino is right off the 101 freeway. When you come into town, we have to meet up. Your line of work is awesome. Can you email or ship me some samples on DVD? I can critique the work for you. I am being serious by the way.

SG

hcvone
05-17-07, 07:42 PM
Without going into detail here, I have a distribution contract that will expire shortly, this a private label thing, it does not allow me to show the stars, for lack of better words, that changes soon, and then yes. :)

GM-4-LIFE
05-17-07, 11:11 PM
Without going into detail here, I have a distribution contract that will expire shortly, this a private label thing, it does not allow me to show the stars, for lack of better words, that changes soon, and then yes. :)

Carl,

You are now officially my favorite person on the net! I can't wait until that private label stuff expires!

Thanks!

SG

hcvone
05-18-07, 07:53 AM
Some real talent out there. ;)