: Better mpg in the city with the traction control OFF?

weister42
05-11-07, 03:03 PM
Okay let me know if my logic is wrong...more gas are used when the engine is at a higher rpm correct? Since the car defaults into 2nd gear with the TC off it should keep the engine rpm lower through initial acceleration right? Does that translate to better mpg around town?

Ranger
05-11-07, 03:48 PM
No, load also figures in. It take less gas to get your car going than it does if it was pulling a 2000 lb trailer. You are putting more of a load on the engine to start out in 2nd gear than you are in 1st. Might be a wash.

Submariner409
05-11-07, 05:14 PM
:stirpot: If you can shift the DIC to "instantaneous gas mileage" instead of "average", try that for a day or so with TC off, then a day or so with TC on. Instant mileage is a calculated combination of fuel flow/return, vacuum, vehicle speed and rpm. The higher the manifold vacuum for a given throttle opening vs. speed, the higher the gas mileage. Vacuum drops with wider throttle plate openings, and so does gas mileage.

jadcock
05-12-07, 06:18 AM
I think defaulting to 2nd gear would increase your fuel economy only if you really babied it around. Trying to keep up with a brisk flow of traffic off a light, with a lot of throttle input, I don't think you'd gain anything.

dkozloski
05-12-07, 04:19 PM
You might try cutting out the floorboards so you can pedal along with your feet like Fred Flintstone.