: quick performance question

dohcfiend1
05-10-07, 11:52 PM
i am really new o the N* field so this may have been covered be4

i read somewhere that some of the newer n*'s make 320hp and that it came from the intake manifold and the vvt. any truth to that? will a newer intake bolt onto an older N*? has any1 tried it? any gains/losses?

jadcock
05-11-07, 07:01 AM
i read somewhere that some of the newer n*'s make 320hp and that it came from the intake manifold and the vvt. any truth to that?

Yes. The VVT Northstars make a peak 320 hp. Mostly due to the Variable Valve Timing technology. I'm sure the intake manifold is different because all the VVT engines are in a RWD configuration. No FWD Northstar has VVT, yet.

will a newer intake bolt onto an older N*? has any1 tried it? any gains/losses?

It won't bolt on, and if it did, it likely wouldn't make any difference. Again, the intake manifold changes would have been due to the different drive configuration. A FWD Northstar's intake manifold actually draws air from the REAR side of the engine (right over the transmission bellhousing area) as it sits in the car. This obviously won't work when the engine is sitting north-south in the engine bay...thus, much of the engine (not just the intake manifold) was reconfigured for the RWD version of the Northstar.