: How To Check If Air-Ride Shocks Ard BAD, Please Help

EXT2003
05-10-07, 08:22 PM
Hello,

I hope I dont upset any rules here or anything, I know this kind of is a double post. But I tried asking for help and no one was willing to suggest anything.

If anyone can please take the few sec and help explain how I miht be able to check myself to see if the two air ride shocks are bad.

And

How can I check to see if the shocks in the front are bad?

Thanks so much,

J

Playdrv4me
05-10-07, 10:28 PM
First of all, you havent listed how many miles that truck has.

If its anything less than 50k, Id say your shocks are probably alright. The rears are pretty simple. If your leaking hydraulic fluid it will show up on the lower side of the cylinder. This would cause the shock to lose its compressing ability. This does *not* have anything to do with the AIR RIDE part of the shock which is above the gas charged portion. Its a rubberized area. If that part is leaking, which is the only thing that can go wrong with it... then you will hear the compressor (its a real quiet humming sound that runs for about 10 seconds when you first turn on the truck) running more frequently during normal driving to keep that side full of air.

The front shocks are the same as the rear but with no air ride. Check them for leaks which should be readily visible on the cylinder.

Caddydude420
05-11-07, 08:20 PM
I knew when I got the truck from my uncle that the rear shocks were bad and that I'd have to replace them sooner than later. I put my quad in the back of my truck the other weekend and the compressor didn't kick in at all. Come to think of it, I've never heard the compressor come on ever. Am I wrong to assume that I'm going to have to replace the compressor as well?

On a off topic note...can I splice air horns into the compressor line?

Playdrv4me
05-11-07, 11:03 PM
That compressor is really quiet. If it wasnt coming on at all youd be getting SERVICE RIDE CONTROL on the DIC.

Caddydude420
05-11-07, 11:52 PM
Quieter than a Denali? My parents had an 02 or 03 Denali and every time we started the car you'd hear the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. It didn't matter if you had 7 passengers or just a driver, it would always go when you start the car. Am I wrong to assume that their different

Playdrv4me
05-12-07, 12:46 AM
Quieter than a Denali? My parents had an 02 or 03 Denali and every time we started the car you'd hear the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. It didn't matter if you had 7 passengers or just a driver, it would always go when you start the car. Am I wrong to assume that their different

Its exactly the same... but on mine I can barely hear it when its running, it is super quiet.

Easiest way to test it is with key turned to ON position with MOTOR OFF. Youll hear it for sure this way, if you dont its shot. Just because it doesnt run when you put weight back there only means the truck is leveled sufficiently already. The way to know for sure is to listen for it when the truck is first turned on.

drrm123
05-13-07, 04:58 PM
Where is compressor located so I can check also?

Playdrv4me
05-13-07, 07:13 PM
Where is compressor located so I can check also?

Left rear quarter panel just behind the left rear shock (driver side).