: Still pulling to the right after alignment??

Playdrv4me
05-09-07, 09:48 PM
Well I am baffulated... As I posted recently I was told to get my pitman and idler arms replaced because they were not able to properly align my truck. Well I finally did so, and I took the truck back to get aligned...

It aligned perfectly within spec, but ITS STILL PULLING TO THE RIGHT, even at low speeds. The report from the alignment shop came back GREEN for all suspension and steering components. Im really not sure what it could be at this point... Any suggestions?

I was told it could be the tires, which frankly the right front is pretty worn from as long as its been pulling, and the left front is only a bit better. I just dont see that tires can cause pulling even at low speeds. I have to keep the wheel at about 10 oclock to keep it straight.

Not sure what to try next.

slk230mb
05-10-07, 01:02 AM
Rotate and balance the tires. It's worth a shot.

EXT_Vegas
05-10-07, 03:15 AM
You are experiencing what is called "Radial pull". Your tires are worn to the point that they are pulling the truck. Rotate them and if they pull to the other side, either live with it until replacement or replace in worn badly. When you (or the shop that rotates the tires) remove them from the vehicle, inspect them for wear. Look for the "wear" bars and "wear slots". The wear bars ate the bumps between the tread, if the tread is nearly touching, replace the tires. The wear slots are on the outside tread, they are the holes on the tread and if worn down to either nearly gone or are not visible, replace.
Just some information for you. Hope it helps.

hcvone
05-10-07, 06:15 AM
Check your tire pressures, and as said what condition are your tires in? Does the shop know what they are going? Got to ask that anymore.

Playdrv4me
05-10-07, 09:54 AM
Carl, the front right is definitely worn from pulling as long as it has/had been before I got it, the front left is better, but not as good as the two rears which have at least 40-45% tread left. Tire pressures are good, but I even tried an old trick of letting air out of the front left to see if that would straighten it out a bit and it didnt do anything.

Last night I jacked the vehicle up and checked for side to side play in the hub and it was minimal.

I guess ill try to the rotation next. I just thought tires would have an impact only at cruising speeds. If I coast along in a parking lot, it still starts going right the way it is now.

hcvone
05-10-07, 11:46 AM
Put the two best tires on the front and see what that does. :)

Guyz1996deville
05-10-07, 12:07 PM
Could be a long shot but if you have a sticking caliper on the right front that would cause a slight pull too..

Max-Q
05-10-07, 01:29 PM
Could be a long shot but if you have a sticking caliper on the right front that would cause a slight pull too..

Exactly what I was thinking. Are you sure you don't have a caliper that is sticking just enough to cause the pulling?

erf2u
05-10-07, 02:18 PM
I know this is just a longshot, and there is no experience from my part...but, wouldn't a slightly twisted rear axle (not bent, just not perpendicular to the axis of vehicle) cause the vehicle to veer or turn to one side, when your front tires are "straight" or perpendicular to the axis?

I am assuming the only alignment you got was for the front end. (I am also assuming that when they do front end alignments, the specs are based on just the front end, or both front tires are "true" to each other.)

I really do not recall if alignments reference all 4 wheels together or not. Again, this is just a thought and may even be considered a brain fart if I am totally wrong.

Playdrv4me
05-10-07, 02:29 PM
I know this is just a longshot, and there is no experience from my part...but, wouldn't a slightly twisted rear axle (not bent, just not perpendicular to the axis of vehicle) cause the vehicle to veer or turn to one side, when your front tires are "straight" or perpendicular to the axis?

I am assuming the only alignment you got was for the front end. (I am also assuming that when they do front end alignments, the specs are based on just the front end, or both front tires are "true" to each other.)

I really do not recall if alignments reference all 4 wheels together or not. Again, this is just a thought and may even be considered a brain fart if I am totally wrong.

No what youre saying is making sense, but in this day and age most places do a 4 wheel alignment. I know thats what I had done for sure.

Ill check the caliper thing too, though my moms Acura TL has a stuck caliper and I can actually hear the delay in its release compared to the others. The tire thing will be my first try.

Playdrv4me
05-10-07, 09:21 PM
Well I had the rotation done. I had the front right rotated to the rear left, the front left rotated to the rear right and vice versa.

Its STILL pulling to the right, though not as much, and that could be my imagination but it doesnt feel like as much anyway.

Sigh... I guess the caliper thing is next.

Im thinking maybe bad wheel hub.

Playdrv4me
05-12-07, 10:45 PM
Any ideas?

hcvone
05-13-07, 05:38 AM
Check the calipers, the shop that did your alignment, are they good? I have got bad alignnments before from shops that I thought knew what they were doing. :(

Playdrv4me
05-13-07, 05:59 PM
Check the calipers, the shop that did your alignment, are they good? I have got bad alignnments before from shops that I thought knew what they were doing. :(

Thanks for replying Carl...

To update this continually strange and evolving story... Today I got bored and took the truck BACK to the same store where I had it aligned last time and took advantage of the warranty that comes with the alignment.

Wouldnt you know it... this time the camber was out by 1/10th... they brought the camber in or out, im not sure which, and now it drives straight, at least for now... We will see how long it stays that way...

On a side note... Im still 0 for 1 in a way because Ive got that Service Stability message I wouldnt have had if I had never had the pitman arm and idler arm replaced. Im going to try to use that to my advantage though. Next time I have a free weekday before 50k miles, Im gonna take the truck in and offer to pay to fix that sensor problem, but at the same time bring up my A/C groan issue that was due to a poor warranty repair back when it had 19k miles. Hopefully theyll see that I am willing to spend money there if they take care of me.

Well see how it all turns out.

hcvone
05-14-07, 06:06 AM
You have to watch alignments, some shops are better than others. :)

Playdrv4me
05-14-07, 10:12 AM
You have to watch alignments, some shops are better than others. :)

Oh yea, this was just Sears. Im sure they arent known for their reputation of precision, BUT at least for me the convenience factor kicked in. Both times I had to go were late afternoon, and yesterday was Sunday.

hcvone
05-14-07, 10:33 AM
You have to go to someone who knows what they are doing with front ends, if you would have said Sears first that would have made finding the problem easier. ;)