: dont like the tires!!

1fstkde
05-09-07, 02:41 PM
well i took the stsv on the usual sunset run, and on the hard turns the tires screech!! kind of embarassising when running against another car..is it just me?? my tires are at 35psi, maybe they are low?? another thing is that on a 80k car you would think they would put zr rated tires instead of only r rated tires..sorry guys but this car does not handle as good as my ctsv..but all other aspects its far better!!

GM-4-LIFE
05-09-07, 03:13 PM
well i took the stsv on the usual sunset run, and on the hard turns the tires screech!! kind of embarassising when running against another car..is it just me?? my tires are at 35psi, maybe they are low?? another thing is that on a 80k car you would think they would put zr rated tires instead of only r rated tires..sorry guys but this car does not handle as good as my ctsv..but all other aspects its far better!!

My STS-V handles better than my CTS-V did, but I think that's because I had the crappy Goodyear RS-A run-flats instead of the F1 Supercar run-flat tires on my CTS-V. 35 psi all around may too much tire pressure. You may have to reset it close to factory specs to get better handling out of the car. Too much air may cause the tires to squeal and actual hurt the handling of the car because with too much air, you have less tire patch contact to the road's surface.

Are you going by a traditional tire pressure guage or are you going by the tire pressure monitoring system on the DIC? My DIC shows two pounds lower than the actual tire pressure and I tested it between the DIC and a traditional tire pressure guage. I set the front tires at 31 psi cold and the rears at 33 psi cold. Factory label on the door jam calls for 30 psi front cold and 32 psi rear cold. When you set the tire pressure, do it when the car has sat overnight in your garage and set it with a traditional tire pressure guage, and don't go by the DIC.

Hope this helps.

SG

Davidstan
05-09-07, 03:28 PM
I thought the stock tires were W rated to conform with the 155 limit.

1fstkde
05-09-07, 03:36 PM
I thought the stock tires were W rated to conform with the 155 limit.
you wont find a high performance tire w rated..no way..we have y ratings on the 07. how about the 06??

1fstkde
05-09-07, 03:37 PM
My STS-V handles better than my CTS-V did, but I think that's because I had the crappy Goodyear RS-A run-flats instead of the F1 Supercar run-flat tires on my CTS-V. 35 psi all around may too much tire pressure. You may have to reset it close to factory specs to get better handling out of the car. Too much air may cause the tires to squeal and actual hurt the handling of the car because with too much air, you have less tire patch contact to the road's surface.

Are you going by a traditional tire pressure guage or are you going by the tire pressure monitoring system on the DIC? My DIC shows two pounds lower than the actual tire pressure and I tested it between the DIC and a traditional tire pressure guage. I set the front tires at 31 psi cold and the rears at 33 psi cold. Factory label on the door jam calls for 30 psi front cold and 32 psi rear cold. When you set the tire pressure, do it when the car has sat overnight in your garage and set it with a traditional tire pressure guage, and don't go by the DIC.

Hope this helps.

SG thxs shawn, ill try it out..

GM-4-LIFE
05-09-07, 05:59 PM
thxs shawn, ill try it out..

You are very welcome. Optimal tire pressure is the only way to get the best handling out of the car. I drive the crap out my STS-V and it handles great when I push it hard.

SG

WillySTS
05-09-07, 11:13 PM

I've made that run, in my V, my Hawk and other cars, and I must say it may feel that way because a stick shift seems to always FEEL faster or even better in a performance situation because you feel like you have more control. And, depending on how you drive, can feel more violent. I know that our cars are kinda herky-jerky if you don't have a good handle on the upshift/downshift action in some situations.

All in all, I agree with you...our tires aren't even AA rated in traction, but they are YR speed rated.

1fstkde
05-09-07, 11:24 PM
I've made that run, in my V, my Hawk and other cars, and I must say it may feel that way because a stick shift seems to always FEEL faster or even better in a performance situation because you feel like you have more control. And, depending on how you drive, can feel more violent. I know that our cars are kinda herky-jerky if you don't have a good handle on the upshift/downshift action in some situations.

All in all, I agree with you...our tires aren't even AA rated in traction, but they are YR speed rated.
willy, is this the willy over at martin?? if so...thxs for all your help with the exhaust install!! i love it.!! did you here the peel out leaving martin??:eek: ..lol

Kadonny
05-10-07, 08:37 AM
Pressure is 29/31 I think. 35 is too much.

GM-4-LIFE
05-10-07, 11:05 AM
Pressure is 29/31 I think. 35 is too much.

Kadonny,

Factory tire pressure label in the door jam states to set tire pressure at 30 cold on the front tires and 32 cold on the rear tires. I set mine 1 lb. higher front and rear so when the temps dip down, the tire pressure doesn't get too low and I will still be on the safe side. I do agree that 35 cold is way too much.

SG

Davidstan
05-10-07, 02:02 PM
you wont find a high performance tire w rated..no way..we have y ratings on the 07. how about the 06??

:alchi: Not sure why i said W....maybe i was thinking of W the president. I dont have my car the last couple of days and when i looked months ago when taking delivery they were Y.

WillySTS
05-10-07, 09:28 PM
:alchi: Not sure why i said W....maybe i was thinking of W the president. I dont have my car the last couple of days and when i looked months ago when taking delivery they were Y.

Me, too...I guess on one tire it looks like a w but they are indeed Y rated.

WillySTS
05-10-07, 09:30 PM
willy, is this the willy over at martin?? if so...thxs for all your help with the exhaust install!! i love it.!! did you here the peel out leaving martin??:eek: ..lol

Yep, we all did!!! And that exhaust was sounding good too!

Kadonny
05-11-07, 12:28 PM
Thanks Aero, I was off a pound but I knew they were right there in that range.

Exhaust install...........DETAILS!