: Tell me about dyno's please

codewize
05-08-07, 11:39 AM
I've had enough of looking. No one around here has a dyno so there's only one solution. To buy one, maybe.

What's good. What's bad. What do they cost?

I looked around a little bit but not many people talk about pricing. You know what I need to do with it. Something small, cheap, etc. I think I can make some money with this in the area since no one else has one and we have a race track near by.

Anyone with any ideas / experience.

EcSTSatic
05-08-07, 12:19 PM
What are you thinking of? Definitely not an automotive dynomometer. They are huge and expensive.

http://www.dynojet.com/automotive_dyno/index.aspx

codewize
05-08-07, 12:46 PM
Yeah yeah. That's what I want. I know their huge but what's expensive? Again there's no pricing. Leasing, financing?

I did find some smaller units.
http://www.superflow.com/dynamometers/index_831.cfm

Maybe something used? I don't know I'm just getting frustrated.

jadcock
05-08-07, 01:29 PM
I think we're talking tens of thousands of dollars here. That's why there's no "pricetag" on them. They're all going to pretty much be custom-build, field-erected machines. Probably not an "out of the box" product.

eldorado1
05-08-07, 01:48 PM
$14,000 + shipping:

http://www.land-and-sea.com/chassis-dyno/chassis-dyno-price.htm

Where do you live?

codewize
05-08-07, 02:28 PM
12414 Hmm 14k is a lot of cash. I wonder if there are any used ones out there. Or maybe it's worth driving 200 miles to use one. I had no idea they were that much. I did see some on one of the site averaging 50k. Man that's a lot of cash. No wonder why nobody has one.

$14,000 + shipping:

http://www.land-and-sea.com/chassis-dyno/chassis-dyno-price.htm

Where do you live?

EcSTSatic
05-08-07, 03:25 PM
Try Googling "handheld dyno" and "portable dyno". There are some cheaper products out there.
Something like the G-Tech may work for you.

eldorado1
05-08-07, 04:15 PM
Try Googling "handheld dyno" and "portable dyno". There are some cheaper products out there.
Something like the G-Tech may work for you.

If you don't mind +/- 10% in your readings.... They are usually consistant though, so if you want to see how a modification changes your readings, that's a good way to do it.

eldorado1
05-08-07, 04:19 PM
12414 Hmm 14k is a lot of cash. I wonder if there are any used ones out there. Or maybe it's worth driving 200 miles to use one. I had no idea they were that much. I did see some on one of the site averaging 50k. Man that's a lot of cash. No wonder why nobody has one.

Romar Enterprises, Inc.
P.O. Box 707
630 Rte 52
Walden 12586
Tel. 845-778-2737

Visions of Speed
11 Olympic Way
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
(845) 486-1003

Both of those are within an hour of you

danbuc
05-08-07, 06:50 PM
Where are you located?

Submariner409
05-08-07, 06:58 PM
:confused: Somewhere in this country there are chassis dynamometers mounted on a tractor-trailer rig. CarCraft mag seems to have one at their drive-ins. Do a Google or Yahoo! search for "dynamometer chassis mobile" and see what comes up. A handheld or front seat laptop program is only as good as your best ScientificWildAssGuesss...SWAG, because the initial data entry has to be very accurate for the machine to figure it all out....A real, permanent chassis dyno takes a lot of space and dedication, plus $$$$.

codewize
05-08-07, 11:30 PM
WOW thanks a mil. How did you find them? Danbuc, I'm in Catskill NY.

Romar Enterprises, Inc.
P.O. Box 707
630 Rte 52
Walden 12586
Tel. 845-778-2737

Visions of Speed
11 Olympic Way
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
(845) 486-1003

Both of those are within an hour of you

MonzaRacer
05-09-07, 12:05 AM
If I had my druthers I would look into a chassis dyno.
It only takes up about a 4 ft by a car width and you can contract to local performance people to do dyno runs, run dyno drags for tuners and racers.
Local performance place has one and does 3 runs for $75 bucks and if you want you can get advanced software and "contract for a days use to anyone who wants to run on it.
While it honestly wont be a cheap investment but you can make money and help pay for it.
Also look around for neighboring states and in yours and call around and ask questions about the brands. 2 local performance sshops , one being Jones Engineering who did all of Steve Kinsers dirt track engines for years bought one and it wont work so let the buyer beware.
Stuska and Superflow are tried and true names, call companies and ask for references to call.
ALSO ask them if they have older units traded in (will have less gizmos but some stuff is just convienent)
One place I know has engine dyno that charges $400 a day if its free and you get whole day and they will lend opinions too. Great place to work with we used to do a lot with K-Motion but it seemed like they was watching the clock and a long way away.
Good luck
Lee

codewize
05-09-07, 08:33 AM
Number not in service. Man I have a feeling that Dynos don't make money and all these guys go out of business because of them LOL

Visions of Speed
11 Olympic Way
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
(845) 486-1003

Good to go here. I just talked to this guy, seems real nice. $100 for 3 runs and he said if it's not busy we can do a few more. Thanks a lot.

Romar Enterprises, Inc.
P.O. Box 707
630 Rte 52
Walden 12586
Tel. 845-778-2737

Exactly what I'm talking about. That's why I, for a minute or two, considered buying one. It just seems like in my area there should be someone with a dyno. BUT I don't quite have a garage to put one yet. Maybe in a couple years. I don't know but I don't understand it at all. If I were a garage and worked on decent cars I would definitely have one without a doubt.

If I had my druthers I would look into a chassis dyno.

It only takes up about a 4 ft by a car width and you can contract to local performance people to do dyno runs, run dyno drags for tuners and racers.

Local performance place has one and does 3 runs for $75 bucks and if you want you can get advanced software and "contract for a days use to anyone who wants to run on it.

While it honestly wont be a cheap investment but you can make money and help pay for it.

Also look around for neighboring states and in yours and call around and ask questions about the brands. 2 local performance sshops , one being Jones Engineering who did all of Steve Kinsers dirt track engines for years bought one and it wont work so let the buyer beware.

Stuska and Superflow are tried and true names, call companies and ask for references to call.

ALSO ask them if they have older units traded in (will have less gizmos but some stuff is just convienent)

One place I know has engine dyno that charges $400 a day if its free and you get whole day and they will lend opinions too. Great place to work with we used to do a lot with K-Motion but it seemed like they was watching the clock and a long way away.

Good luck

Lee

codewize
05-09-07, 08:50 AM
I do plan on building a nice 2 bay working garage within the next 2 - 3 years. At that time, if finances are right, I may buy a small dyno and charge people to use it.

This isn't going to be a business it's going to be MY garage.

stbtt
05-09-07, 09:13 AM
i have had a dynojet dyno for about 4 years and it is nice to have. if there is enough people in the area it can pay for its self over time but not enough to live on unless you can tune carbs and PCM but you better get use to the people that think they have 4-500 HP and only put down like 250-300 HP or less they think there ass is more accurate than the dyno and say your dyno is wrong it is alittle annoying at first

eldorado1
05-09-07, 10:39 AM
people that think they have 4-500 HP and only put down like 250-300 HP or less they think there ass is more accurate than the dyno and say your dyno is wrong it is alittle annoying at first

Boy I heard that! Or the people buying cars with "500++hp" built engines, taking the sellers word as gospel.....

:alchi:

stbtt
05-09-07, 11:05 AM
i have been through that to many time i have had people try to get me to back them up with a dyno graph and my word so they can take a new car back to the dealer to see if they can get free stuff because the car dont hit the # they said it had not understanding drivetrain loss

eldorado1
05-09-07, 12:42 PM
weren't you the one who was going to do a "negative hp" run to find the drivetrain losses in the 4t80e?

stbtt
05-09-07, 02:18 PM
yes, i have not put it back on yet i will let you know when i do