: Factory Navigation Audio Outputs

Atreides
05-07-07, 05:18 PM
Silly question...

So i've got this issue with reduced volume output on the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 interfaced to LUX-Bose through the Peripherals GMAH24B. So I call Peripherals about this - they suggest going through the GMAH24...

Oh, back to the silly question...

Are the factory nav units audio outputs "PRE-AMP" or are they amplified? My assumption is they are pre-amp, but with this wacky Bose system who knows. If indeed they are Amp'd then that would explain why I am getting reduced output from the Pioneer unit - as I am using Pre-AMP outputs from that unit.

Told you it was silly..

Cheers,
Atreides

Playdrv4me
05-07-07, 05:49 PM
Silly question...

So i've got this issue with reduced volume output on the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 interfaced to LUX-Bose through the Peripherals GMAH24B. So I call Peripherals about this - they suggest going through the GMAH24...

Oh, back to the silly question...

Are the factory nav units audio outputs "PRE-AMP" or are they amplified? My assumption is they are pre-amp, but with this wacky Bose system who knows. If indeed they are Amp'd then that would explain why I am getting reduced output from the Pioneer unit - as I am using Pre-AMP outputs from that unit.

Told you it was silly..

Cheers,
Atreides

Factory HU output is AMPLIFIED Speaker level. Though what youre saying doesnt make much sense. Your saying your using an AVIC-Z2, which is a Navigation headunit IIRC, but youre also using the factory Nav unit's audio outputs?? :hmm: Not sure I get it.

Playdrv4me
05-07-07, 05:54 PM
Ok I get it now... You are asking whether the factory Nav unit *WHEN IT WAS INSTALLED* outputted Line level or speaker level audio. The factory HU output should be speaker level.

Atreides
05-07-07, 05:55 PM
Grr... so I stumble upon an AD for the GMAH24B... says for aftermarket radio speaker level inputs.... grrr... Their own support didn't even catch on to this. The manual doesnt specifically mention speaker (hi) level inputs... So I "ass"umed to take lo level outputs since I am going into an AMP... oh well. Gonna test theory tonight and see if i go from 50% max volume to 100%... Better late than never.

Cheers,
Atreides

Atreides
05-07-07, 05:58 PM
Thanks for feedback :worship:- so now that nails it for sure, have to pull the speaker level outputs from AVIC-Z2... Oh well, all those stupid RCA plugs I soldered on for naught :thepan:.... fun fun... At least this means I prolly won't have to ditch the Bose so soon since sound quality was ok, just too low..

Cheers,
Atreides

Playdrv4me
05-07-07, 06:02 PM
Yea I dont mind the factory Bose AT ALL... Its one of the best sounding stock systems Ive heard. Unless you want wake up the neighbors bass (and even then there are converters), the stock system is VERY capable.

Atreides
05-07-07, 06:08 PM
Now, if I could only find a hack to either A) take rear speaker inputs or B) send serial line data for fade and spacial effects (i.e. normal, spacial, rear) which I assume are generated at amp and not head unit)

yourgmsolutions
05-07-07, 07:23 PM
Silly question...

So i've got this issue with reduced volume output on the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 interfaced to LUX-Bose through the Peripherals GMAH24B.

few things.
Escalade lux amp system is a little different then any other GM vehicles. factory head unit outputs are data/digital, so you can't realy use RCA outputs out of your AVIC.
you have a couple options.
go to audio set up on you avic and you should find loudness option. and change it to medium or high. it should take care of your problem. there is also ASL option (or something like that). that can increase output level on your Avic as well
I never used peripheral interface, so can't say good or bad.
I used OS2-Bose from Pac for Escalades and denalis and never had any problems
hope this info will help you

Playdrv4me
05-07-07, 07:41 PM
Ya GM Geek is right. I just remembered this is also why you cant just buy any old plain jane Navi unit off Ebay... If you have Bose Y91 then you have to use a Navi unit that is Y91 compatible etc. My 2004 Avalanche was a little bit different.

Atreides
05-10-07, 02:27 PM
Sharing my final findings...

All installed well - what a @%$ of a job wiring everything (rear plate camera, dash overstuffed with wires, etc etc)... Anyway - the problem of reduced audio was solved as suspected by using speaker level outputs into the GMAH24B. Having done that, I have perfect volume out. Surprised actually at the overall quality of the sound using only front speaker outputs from radio. The AVIC-Z2 spacial effect options really give a robust sound from factory lux bose.

The ONLY gripe I now have is that its neigh impossible to get audio out of the rear seat entertrainment (overhead DVD)! That is a real dissapointment to me since its a perfectly fine unit that is now as good as a doorjam. Geek got it right, the audio from RSE is DIGITAL and therefore not usable :-( Not that I can tell - went as far as opening overhead to see if there was anything in there to get an analog audio signal off of.

That said, has anyone seen / used something to convert the factory audio signal to analog? It seems to me (guessing) that units like the Peripherals GMAH24B can interpret it for the OnStar usage - maybe it can also interpret the RSE audio? Open to comments...

Thanks,
Atreides

Atreides
05-10-07, 03:18 PM
Update..

So I am talking to a tech over at Peripherals and he swears (not from first hand experience I add) that the audio signals out of Panasonic DVD are not digital. This is really frustrating. Can anyone tell me FOR SURE if the audio out of RSE is analog line, analog speaker, or digital signal. My wife wants to hang me because after all this I can't get rear dvd to work and spending another couple $k will put me in dog house...

Cheers,
Atreides

Atreides
05-10-07, 05:34 PM
Second guessing myself now, since the connector at RSE DVD player has 2 blk/wht wires with pin 12 being the common audio and pin 7 being ground. I suppose it's possible I grabbed ground instead of common (which I will kick myself hard in rear if that's case). Still, before I start taking things apart again to check that - any experience on this audio signal would be much appreciated.

Ideally, I would like to grab the RSE audio closer to the dash instead of opening top deck - be it under center console at amp or somewhere in dash. I read something about splice kit 250 but I couldnt find that with confidence and really don't want to take whole dash apart looking for it, easier stuffing wire in door jam. Thanks in advance!

Atreides

Atreides
05-10-07, 08:04 PM
Opened it all up again... I was using the right common audio. NO GO. I get approximate .02 volts DC off right audio + common and left audio + common. Turned head unit way up to make sure it wasn't just a really low signal. Low humm... Is it possible the serial data line controls if the DVD player actually sends an audio signal out? At a total loss and in all service guides I can't seem to find much information about the content of the signal (volt levels expected etc). Back to drawing board...

yourgmsolutions
05-10-07, 10:57 PM
if your Lade is 03 - 06 here is the link for you

http://www.me-mag.com/upload/ME1105p75-83_LR.pdf

Atreides
05-10-07, 11:08 PM
Woot - thanks gm_geek!

Keeping my fingers crossed that this approach circumvents the serial data triggers. From what i've determined scouring the web and reading schematics - all the audio components are on same audio channel (splice pack sp250). So that must mean the head unit sends a command to a target unit to transmit its audio, otherwise all units would be transmitting at same time - no go. So woop , I probably re-invented a lopsided wheel here.

Will have er open again tomorrow and advise on outcome... Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Atreides

Atreides
05-10-07, 11:32 PM
DUH! It just struck me why this would work - the wireless headphones work just fine since the audio is coming across from player to lcd panel. Just recalled that the infrared is on the LCD panel! Your the best man - thanks for the help on this! Earlier today I figured why bother hacking more wires if the first set don't work blah blah... Your golden!

:bows:
Atreides

Atreides
05-11-07, 11:08 PM
Just finished wiring the rear DVD into the AVIC-Z2 up front - worked like a charm! From L/R Audio and Video up there now - pretty neat. Audio is crystal clear. The video I need to either a) improve shielding or b) get a video signal booster since I am getting major artifacts on front display and minor artifacts on rear lcd now... Also, if my imagination not playing tricks on me, there seems to be a slight 1 second hum following changes in head unit audio. For example, changing XM radio stations, between sources, pressing buttons and hearing tone, etc.. Guessing again the hum is introduced by pulling unshielded wires from rear (~8ft in length with a common ground for all).. Again, thanks gmgeek!