: Oil Cooler

chazglenn3
05-07-07, 05:54 PM
Is there any truth to a rumour I heard that the '98-'99 Northstars do not have oil cooler lines? I have developed a very minor drip and suspected the oil cooler lines but was told the car doesn't have any. My next place to look if that is true is the oil filter adapter.

Submariner409
05-07-07, 06:06 PM
No good advice on this one....but drop the plastic air dam under the radiator/engine "front" when you do your search......an oil cooler setup will have lines running to the right (?) radiator tank.

chazglenn3
05-07-07, 08:22 PM
That is where they were on my '96 STS. The shop manual says the oil cooler is on the right side of the radiator, but the manual makes no mention of any oil cooler lines. Now I make no claim of engine genius, but it seems to me the only way for oil to get into the oil cooler would be through some lines.

Ranger
05-07-07, 10:50 PM
Trans cooler lines are on the left side and oil cooler lines on the right if I remember correctly. Should be visible from the engine bay.

chazglenn3
05-07-07, 10:56 PM
Exactly, but I am not seeing them. I find it hard to believe that Cadillac removed the oil cooler from the 98-99 cars. I'll have to get underneath and look harder. I still suspect that the oil filter adapter may be the culprit.

BIG ERN
05-07-07, 10:59 PM
I recently put a new radiatir in my 98 STS , no oil cooler

chazglenn3
05-07-07, 11:07 PM
That clears that up. Can't believe they got rid of it. I'll look at the oil filter adapter. Thanks Ern!

Mountie
05-08-07, 03:35 AM
That is where they were on my '96 STS. The shop manual says the oil cooler is on the right side of the radiator, but the manual makes no mention of any oil cooler lines. Now I make no claim of engine genius, but it seems to me the only way for oil to get into the oil cooler would be through some lines.

My ride is a bit older ( '93 STS)... My oil cooler lines went from the oil adaptor, & straight out toward the right wheel, along the frame , then around to the front of the radiator. The lines were chaffing against the frame, so I wrapped heater hose around it at the edges. ( BTW) I enlarged my cooler to a CORRECT size, about 2/3rds larger. The stock size is about the size of a small tranny cooler for a Civic.

jadcock
05-08-07, 08:05 AM
My '97 didn't have an oil cooler either; nor does my '01 I don't think. Leaking oil lines is likely the reason they dropped it. No real need, and it's just another leak point.

rbrandon
05-08-07, 05:22 PM
my 99 does have oil cooler lines, i had them replaced a few months ago

chazglenn3
05-08-07, 05:33 PM
Oh for crying out loud...now the water is muddied again. Do you know where they are located on the '99 STS?

UPDATE: I called a couple of Caddy dealers near me and both said there are no oil cooler lines on the '99 STS.

UPDATE #2: I decided to call another dealer and , yes you guessed it, he said "sure it has oil cooler lines".

I am going to get under the car this weekend and take off the air deflector and whatever else I need to move until I determine once and for all if the lines are there or not.

Submariner409
05-09-07, 07:35 PM
:alchi: OK....did some flashlight and FSM work......my '02 STS has 2 lines which run out forward from the oil filter adapter up and to the right front, and wrap AROUND the radiator tank and screw in from the front. The engine coolant outlet also enters the right tank at the top, so the oil is "cooled" to nothing below thermostat/engine run temperature, as is proper in order to maintain oil temp above 200 + or -. (The adapter has a spring-loaded oil bypass for cold start...most of the cold, viscous oil bypasses the cooler and goes straight from the filter to the engine.)........Look in some of the archived parts diagrams.....

chazglenn3
05-09-07, 07:38 PM
Hmmm...wrap around to the front of the radiator, eh? Thanks for the detective work! Hopefully the setup is similar on the '99.

Ranger
05-09-07, 10:24 PM
Remember that with the trans fluid heat exchanger in the side tank, it also warms the trans fluid more rapidly during the winter.

C170B
05-10-07, 12:57 AM
Chazglen

Oil Filter adapter has been mentioned sev times in this thread.

I wanted to share a cautionary situation with you and others on early N* oil filter adapters.

Mechanic was replacing crank position sensors and broke the oil filer adapter.

Learned that replacement part was an Upgraded improved replacement KIT.

During the replacement an "O" ring was nicked and allowed oil to be lost at steady stream during driving. Oil would NOT leak at idle only while engine was over 1500 RPMs. Very serious loss of oil occured. He just about lost his engine.

Mechanic was reprimanded and he now uses 1/4" drive tools in tight places and check for leaks at higher eng speeds before returning vehicle to service.

"O" rings are cheap and service problems can be so destructive.

Be careful out there.

regards

chazglenn3
05-10-07, 10:07 AM
Thanks! That is my plan...to check the torque on the mounting bolts first, then if correct replace the o-ring(s). Since my car is a '99, I don't think I have an "early" N* oil filter adapter.

Mountie
05-10-07, 11:41 AM
I can get to much of my oil cooler lines by removing the R/F wheel, then the inner plastic wheel well.

rbrandon
05-10-07, 02:36 PM
:alchi: OK....did some flashlight and FSM work......my '02 STS has 2 lines which run out forward from the oil filter adapter up and to the right front, and wrap AROUND the radiator tank and screw in from the front. The engine coolant outlet also enters the right tank at the top, so the oil is "cooled" to nothing below thermostat/engine run temperature, as is proper in order to maintain oil temp above 200 + or -. (The adapter has a spring-loaded oil bypass for cold start...most of the cold, viscous oil bypasses the cooler and goes straight from the filter to the engine.)........Look in some of the archived parts diagrams.....

thats where they are on my 99