: aggrevated with "new" '05 Escalade (or, what does "certified preowned" really mean?)

rob_s
05-07-07, 02:12 PM
I've had the thing for a couple of months, and generally speaking I like it. It's a hell of alot slower than the GTO I traded in, but it's also got a hell of alot more room and doesn't hurt my back.

However, the little things are getting me annoyed good and quick. A couple of days after I bought it, the brakes started squealing. Took it to the neighborhood dealership (different from the one I bought it from) to have that checked and the oil changed, and come to find out that all the fluids in the truck are shot, and the rotors need to be turned to the tune of several hundred dollars. Turns out that didn't help as here we are two weeks later and they're squealing again.

Then today to top it off, I discovered that the sunroof leaks. Came out this morning to find water dripping from the passenger side B-pillar AC vents. Joy.

So what does "certified preowned" really mean? Is it just a way for them to milk a couple extra grand out of the buyer and for them to do nothing to actually check over the vehicle?

I haven't contacted the original dealership yet. I haven't been home in about a month and want to get it all written down and faxed/mailed in to them. I guess it's a good thing I waited since the sunroof issue just came up and wouldn't have made it into the letter.

dkozloski
05-07-07, 02:40 PM
Certified preowned means that they certify that it really is preowned or second hand. Years ago a friend bought some new Caterpillar earthmoving machinery for his mining operation. Someone asked him why he didn't buy second hand equipment. His answer was, "It gets secondhand quick enough as it is".

hcvone
05-07-07, 03:06 PM
You should have taken it back to the dealer you purchased it from to start with, I hope it's slower than a GTO, it weights a few thousand lbs more. ;) All the fluids should be changed every 25k miles, don't know how many miles your truck has. Rotors and pads need to be bedded to prevent squeeling, some dealerships do this, most do not. Did they put AC Delco pads on?

rob_s
05-07-07, 03:09 PM
I haven't taken it back the original dealership yet. I had the second dealership go ahead and do the oil change and brake rotors because I was leaving town and didn't want to be on the highway without doing it. They also replace the two front tires. I'm back in town for this week so I'm going to try to get in touch with the original dealership.

Playdrv4me
05-07-07, 03:50 PM
They would like you to believe Certified Preowned means alot... In truth it doesnt. A certified preowned car is one that LOOKS clean and well kempt for its year and miles, does not have a significant accident history or branded title (or no accident history in the case of BMWs and other high end cars), and does not need any significant repairs to make it saleable. It usually has to be the same brand as what that dealer sells new, and fall within a specific mileage requirement.

Then once it meets those criteria, it qualifies for an extended warranty period over and above the manufacturers original warranty.

This is usually the closest you can get to buying new without paying the absurd depreciation and cost of a new car, but it certainly doesnt mean its any better than the one down the street at Joe's Auto Sales. It just has a factory warranty where "Joe's" does not.

rob_s
05-07-07, 04:47 PM
Anyone have any idea if the sunroof would be covered under the extended warranty? I'd really like to be able to get it fixed at the dealership closer to my house rather than have to drive back to the dealership I bought it from.

Playdrv4me
05-07-07, 05:47 PM
Anyone have any idea if the sunroof would be covered under the extended warranty? I'd really like to be able to get it fixed at the dealership closer to my house rather than have to drive back to the dealership I bought it from.

Yes. It will.

vutony8
05-07-07, 09:01 PM
aren't most CPO'd vehicles warrantied to 100k miles?

Playdrv4me
05-07-07, 09:29 PM
aren't most CPO'd vehicles warrantied to 100k miles?

What is quickly becoming the standard for manufacturer backed CPO's is *usually* 6 Years or 100k from the in-service date.

vutony8
05-08-07, 12:24 AM
thats what i figured...i got mine used and purchased the 100k warranty through my bank...i figured CPO'd vehicles came with them automatically

hilldo
05-08-07, 02:13 PM
It is 6 years from original delivery to the dealer. Keep in mind the service department will not seek out and find problems that need to be replaced.

I bought a certified pre-owned 99 and have had a chit load of work done on it most was covered under the Cadillac warranty which covers damn near every possible scenario bumper to bumper.

However, you should have an independent mechanic give the whole rig an inspection then get your dealer to fix any needed work right now.

You should also do the same thing five or ten thousand miles before your certified warranty expires.

I had to do the catalytic converters, the rear end (dealer covered the rear end just out of warranty but only did the minimum to remedy the problem), and just rebuilt the entire front end suspension because I used the truck heavily on the coast without having the front end lubed regularly. I later had to replace the whole rear end when it broke apart 30k miles later.

I am learning a lesson about maintenance and knowing about cars and how they wear out over the years. Do your due dilligence when dealing with a dealership. Their service department's job is to make money not to look out for your best interest.

I am starting to think leasing is not such a bad idea...

rob_s
05-08-07, 02:26 PM
That brings up a good point.

If the previous owner did not do any maintenance to the vehicle, and the trans goes to crap, does the extended warranty still cover it or am I SOL?

Playdrv4me
05-09-07, 12:48 AM
That brings up a good point.

If the previous owner did not do any maintenance to the vehicle, and the trans goes to crap, does the extended warranty still cover it or am I SOL?

Again, this is the difference between a car with merely an extended warranty and a car that is CERTIFIED. Certified, whether they actually checked it or not, means that all of those types of problems would have been checked for in the "certification" process. They would not really have a leg to stand on there.

hilldo
05-10-07, 03:35 PM
Again, this is the difference between a car with merely an extended warranty and a car that is CERTIFIED. Certified, whether they actually checked it or not, means that all of those types of problems would have been checked for in the "certification" process. They would not really have a leg to stand on there.

Agreed... I don't fall for that "regular interval maintenace" bs.

I asked the dealership what all they do for a 60k maintenance and aside from fuilds and rotating the tires it's all a bunch of stuff you can do with a can of seafoam and an oil and lube.

The main thing is regular fuild changes and lubing the suspension and chassis.

Certified means if it breaks they fix it.

It is one of the main reasons I buy Cadillacs and never look back. The Chevy Z-71 we own has an extended warranty but it only covers certain things while the Caddy warranty is bumper to bumper to where they will even seek out a rattle inside the car and eliminate the noise.:alchi:

RedExt05
05-14-07, 09:01 PM
I purchased my '05 Ext through a dealer in NJ and so far I guess I have been lucky. You didn't say how many miles were on yours but I was able to get it with 25 1/2K. July will be a year and so far so good. I didn't want to spend the money on a new '07 as I wanted to "test run" the vehicle but felt more comfortable getting the "extended warranty" through the Certified Program". Outside of the basic wear and tear items, the 6yr/ 100K. Personally, I think the dealer you purchased the vehicle from failed to really follow the protocol for a certified vehicle. Taking it back to the original dealer and raising a little hell they should work with you...

Yes, the order for some 22's/24's will be done in the next 4-6 weeks and already tinted the windows....

rob_s
05-29-07, 04:01 PM
Minor update in progress.

The truck is at the dealership now, after I wrote a letter to their GM and faxed it over. They gave me a loaner (a nice Silverado actually) and promised to fix the brakes, sunroof, and take a look at the tranny (it's shifting awefully hard).

The guy that I talked to last week to set up the appointment said that we could "talk" about my request to be reimbursed for my out of pocket to date, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll update as to the outcome in the next day or so.

In the meantime, the new Silverado is pretty dang sweet. It's no Caddy in terms of amenities, but it's got a good bit of getup and go. I'm enjoying driving it so far.