: Engine Power Circuit?

rdmsyr
05-07-07, 07:54 AM
I would appreciate some guidance on what I should be looking for, this is a great forum and used the tips from the experts and have the site book marked for quick reference. I have a 97 STS 110k miles, no codes, all maintenance done, EGR, Throttle body, tune up etc. The car is very dependable and runs fine except I've noticed that the on throttle power seems weak. The reason I notice this is when my friends are with me (extra weight) the car has increased on throttle power and a noticable difference in the engine's power output. What sensor or sensors should I look at? I would like the car to run like that all the time.
Thanks In advanced!!!

jholland
05-07-07, 08:49 AM
Have you changed the fuel filter?

Mountie
05-07-07, 09:30 AM
Have you changed the fuel filter?

Where is the fuel filter? I replaced nearly everything under my hood when I replaced my North*, but I can't remember replacing that.

'93 STS. Silly me.:bigroll:

rdmsyr
05-07-07, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the reply JHolland,
but I don't think its the fuel filter, she pulls good all the way to redline during WOT.

Ranger
05-07-07, 11:00 AM
All sensors are monitored and would (should) set a DTC if one failed. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the car seems to have MORE power with added weight and LESS power without it? That seems to defy logic. I wonder if maybe it is just your perception?

rdmsyr
05-07-07, 12:16 PM
Thanks Ranger -
Yes you are correct in your statement. The car has more power when weight is added when compared to just me in the car. I know it sounds strange, but I've been noticing this for some time. I'm thinking maybe the MAP sensor is on the fringe or dirty.

MonzaRacer
05-08-07, 11:18 PM
We generally you going to be into the throttle more and longer and working the engien differently loaded over unloaded. Does it seem anemic if you manually shift it ( ie winder up in first, then second ,thne 3rd)?
Your also going to get higher shift points under heavier loads which may give you a seat of the pants false sense of more power.
Also if you had engine problems or it has a lot of miles get a good diag tech to double check your cats as you may have them getting clogged up.