: SRX vs. Mazda CX-9

FiveG
05-07-07, 06:24 AM
I'm looking to replace a ten year old, large SUV. My search has come down between the Mazda CX-9 and a Caddy SRX V6. Having driven them both, I'm now on the fence.

Given that this is a SRX owners (lovers?) forum, I would welcome thoughts anyone has about why that would be the better choice. I know the cost difference is substantial, but taking that out of the equation, why go with the Caddy? If anyone went through a similar analysis, I would really welcome it.

Application is: family of four with large-style teenage girls; with fifth person often in seat. Have moderately large dog, and don't want to necessarily use a third row for long trips (because of hit on luggage space), so that feature on the CX-9 is less critical.

(By the way, I'm posting a similar thread on an equivalent Mazda forum).

Thanks for input.

FiveG

TSS
05-07-07, 07:38 AM
Check out the May issue of Car and Driver. They compare eight luxury SUVs. The SRX placed #2 (Behind Acura - but AHEAD of Lexus, Mercedes, Land Rover, BMW X5, Volvo, VW Tourag) It will give you lots of details, not only on the SRX, but others out there in the same segment. The Mazda was not in the comparison. I personally would not buy a Mazda (because I buy GM). However, if I was inclined to buy Japanease, I would look at the Acura first as a better comparison to the SRX than the Mazda.

The problem, IMO, in comparing the Mazda and the SRX is that they are not really in the same league or class. They are each are designed for a different purchaser. Maybe we (this forum) could help you more with comments if we understood how you narrowed your choices down to those two.

With respect to the third row, it has MORE usable room than my 2001 tahoe did in the third row. I am relatively comfortable back there and I am 6'0", 210 pounds. I find it useful for around town with 5 riders. 2 in first row, 2 insecond row, and 1 (smallest rider) in the third. True though, don't plan on putting much behind the third row.

FiveG
05-07-07, 07:56 AM
Thanks. Read the article, which is one reason the Caddy is high in the running.

We did look at the Acura, and the middle seat in the second row was, at best, vestigial. Hence, a no go.

How did I narrow it? Well, some (like the Infinitis) were bad on cargo space. Some (like BMW X5) were bad on price, cargo space, and iDrive; Mercedes were too pricey, plus they really don't have the space width wise (or at least, haven't). Acura was a no go just with the middle seat issue, as noted above -- frankly that was enough to have us leave the dealer. Land Rover is a no go because of dealer location and repair and reliability costs (I've got personal experience).

So what's critical: passenger comfort, decent (but not Daytona) performance, sound, cargo space, and a good good good middle seat in the second row. (Did I mention the middle seat in the second row?). I've got tall kids, so leg room, as well as hip room, will be important.

Thanks all.

FiveG

TSS
05-07-07, 08:48 AM
Ok, that helps.

With respect to the middle row (don't know if you care about the second row or not :) ), the SRX is the best I have seen. Also, all SRX second rows (regardless of option choices) move fore and aft with a manual adjustment located on the floor. In the all the way "back" position, it is downright spacious. I have not been in the Mazda.

Personally, having also come out of a large SUV like you, I am very pleased overall with my SRX and would make the same purchase decison again. When comparing, be sure to include the superior Caddy warrantee in your analysis. (ie. 4 year 50K BUMPER to BUMPER and loaner car service - versus being shuttled to work).

Lastly, the SRX (at least where I live) still turns some heads. Not sure that would be the same (or if that mattters to you) with the Mazda. I am a self described "car-guy". Therefore having something a little unique has value to me.

By the way, what State are you from?

FiveG
05-07-07, 08:52 AM
Thanks. Warranty is definately a part of the analysis, on the pro Caddy side. Ditto appearance.

I'm from CT, so the AWD is important.

Contra the SRX -- and this is silly that it's important, but it is -- is that Caddy hasn't embraced Blue Tooth, but instead seems to insist that if you want a handsfree phone, you have to have YET ANOTHER cell number and another cell service, which I just won't do. So, I end up with vestigial On Star (at least for the purpose of cellphone) and a work around on the cellphone, whereas the Mazda does have integrated blue tooth/speaker phone. Frankly, if Cadillac had BlueTooth integrated and I could use my existing cell line, it might tip things. Again, silly, but true.

73Thumper
05-07-07, 09:31 AM
I understand the bluetooth issue, I personally am not a fan of the SRX phone so far - but I have not been thru the menus to set it fully up yet. So far I would say the voice recognition is not that great - at least at highway speeds. I can say the SRX is very smooth and very low wind noise - maybe a phone headset for your cell? I did not concider the CX-9 - but I would have had I wanted a V6 - I wanted the V8. For me I love the look and style of the SRX. I can say I researched rear leg room on many crossovers (all manufactures not just GM) and full size SUV's. The SRX has large rear doors and the best leg room by the numbers of any I researched. Even more rear leg room than a Escalade. Part of this extra leg room comes from rear seats slightly elevatated from the front seats. The rear leg room was near the top of my priority list as I also have tall teenagers. I also liked the GMC Acadia, but so far they only have a V6. Also the AWD system is rated very high in the SRX... Good luck on your decision....

TSS
05-07-07, 09:55 AM
If you have Verizon, there are some decent phone options which integrate with the OnStar phone and enable you to call forward when in the vehicle so people don't need to remember two cell numbers. And you don't pay Onstar the ridiculous per minute fees. Still, I agree, it is not the best. It works well enough for me though.

How do the two compare on SAFETY features? Traction control and stability control are standard on SRX - as are ABS and many many airbags of course.

Final recommendation: you owe it to yourself to drive a SRX with MRC to see if the increased cost is worth it to you (it was to me). Ditto with the V-8 option - especially since you are getting AWD.

donjumpsuit
05-07-07, 10:02 AM
wait,
You, Your wife, four "large-styled" teenage girls, luggage, and a moderately large dog?

Sounds like your in the Ford Expedition or 8 passenger van territory

FiveG
05-07-07, 10:32 AM
wait,
You, Your wife, four "large-styled" teenage girls, luggage, and a moderately large dog?

Sounds like your in the Ford Expedition or 8 passenger van territory

Nope -- two tall teenage girls. Please, four teenage girls -- if that were the case, I'm looking for a vehicle to start doing sales trips -- five year sales trips.

FiveG
05-07-07, 12:46 PM
Final recommendation: you owe it to yourself to drive a SRX with MRC to see if the increased cost is worth it to you (it was to me). Ditto with the V-8 option - especially since you are getting AWD.

Just did so re the V8: there actually is a real difference from the 6. Didn't think I'd say so, but there is. Ride without MRC was pretty good on crappy urban streets with the 8.

Decisions, decisions.

TSS
05-07-07, 02:08 PM
Just did so re the V8: there actually is a real difference from the 6. Didn't think I'd say so, but there is.

Yeah, that is a tough decision there. The V-6 is certainly more than adequate and gets better gas mileage. The V-8 is a bit smoother, quieter, and just plain fun to hammer down. Either way, great choices to be making. If I was buying it for my wife, I would very seriously consider the V-6 since she would not particularly care. For me, the V-8 all the way. I just thought you at least owed it to yourself to try it out (V-8) before plunking down your hard earned money.

FiveG
05-07-07, 03:07 PM
Good thought. Actually, the 6s that I looked at had stuff I didn't want (theater, 3rd row) whereas the 8 just has just the stuff I do want, with the result that the price differential isn't huge.

(Actually, I'd love to have the 3rd row, but I sat in one and ended up looking like the clowns in the circus).

73Thumper
05-08-07, 08:13 AM
I purchased mine with the 3rd seat, not that I wanted it, but it came as a option package (utility package) and gets you all you need for trailer towing (HD engine and tranny cooler, plus correct hitch wiring (no actual hitch though)

FiveG
05-08-07, 08:15 AM
One thing the CX-9 has -- or doesn't have -- that the SRX has is that there is a hump for the driveshaft under the floor in the SRX. The CX-9 floor is flat. For my youngest daughter, that may end up being the defining issue, believe it or not.

ckrichards
05-08-07, 08:40 AM
The seats in the Cadillac are much more comfortable. When I asked my kids to sit in the Mazda they said the seats were hard and uncomfortable. My kids are younger than yours though.

My Cadillac (w/MRC) also has a much more refined ride/handling than the Mazda's.

Did your girls notice any difference in wind/road noise between the Cadillac or Mazda? That might be something else to consider.

TSS
05-08-07, 10:14 AM
One thing the CX-9 has -- or doesn't have -- that the SRX has is that there is a hump for the driveshaft under the floor in the SRX. The CX-9 floor is flat. For my youngest daughter, that may end up being the defining issue, believe it or not.

I presume you checked out an AWD Mazda? Since the SRX is rear wheel drive or AWD, all of them have rear humps. With the Mazda, it is Front wheel drive or AWD, right? So a front wheel drive should not have the hump, but I would imagine AWD would. Who knows though - I am just speculating/thinking out loud here....

Also, I really hate to say this, but have you considered any mini-vans? Based on your criteria, it seems one of those may work very well - even though I would never buy one despite their incredible value, gas mileage, and practicality.

GMJim
05-08-07, 12:27 PM
would a suppliers discount help sway your decision?

FiveG
05-08-07, 12:47 PM
I presume you checked out an AWD Mazda? Since the SRX is rear wheel drive or AWD, all of them have rear humps. With the Mazda, it is Front wheel drive or AWD, right? So a front wheel drive should not have the hump, but I would imagine AWD would. Who knows though - I am just speculating/thinking out loud here....

Actually, I did look at the AWD Mazda. No hump.

FiveG
05-08-07, 12:47 PM
would a suppliers discount help sway your decision?

Not sure.

GMJim
05-08-07, 01:29 PM
Not sure.

I wouldn't be sure either if some one offered me 5K off a new car........
I'd rather pay full price anyday..................

Northern SRX
05-08-07, 01:38 PM
It's interesting that somebody has brought up this comparo as I had actually considered the Mazda as something that we might move to after the end of the SRX lease (Mazdas were my rides of choice for a decade or so until around 1995).

What I saw as pros for the CX-9: cheaper and (slightly) better fuel economy. I think looks and reliability are a wash between these two rides. I think the fuel economy is a wash between V6 models.

What I saw as the major pros for the SRX: better handling and greater fun-to-drive quotient (esp. w the V8 and MRC) and it is a better exterior size for what I want to drive. Plus, the front head and legroom is better (I am tall) and the rear legroom is a treat for passengers.

The Mazda is a full 100 lbs heavier, 5" longer, and 3 1/2" wider than the SRX - although they have almost identical height and ground clearance figures. Interior dimensions - other than those I mentioned - are very similar between these rides. As is safety equipment - although I don't recall if the Mazda has HID headlights.

In any case, my research on the CX-9 left me impressed with the Mazda but the deal killer would be its bulk - the additional width would compress space in my already too-narrow 2 car garage. This is the same knock I had against the Infiniti and the MDX when I originally bought the SRX. Only the Lexus RX was in the SRX's league in this area. Nevertheless, you could save a pile of $ buying the Mazda if the SRX's attributes didn't move you from the "like" to the "lust" column... :rolleyes:

FiveG
05-08-07, 01:57 PM
Thanks for summing up a lot of my issues. The price (and I appreciate GMJim's comment) is important, although I suspect, even with discounts, if the SRX price could get near the Mazda. That dumb hump!

Wind Breaker
05-08-07, 08:21 PM
Good luck FiveG,
Personally, I've had it with our SRX. With only 13k miles on it, it has annoying rattles and creaks in the dash, a rattling Ultraview roof and a drivers seat that shifts slightly everytime I take a turn. All of which has been to the dealership multiple times with no satifactory results. An 'a/c off' control that is probably the dumbest thing I've seen on an enviromental control panel, a hood release that is just below and the same style handle as the parking brake release handle, much worse fuel economy than advertised etc, there's more to harp about especially for a $40K+ vehicle, but then I'd be nit-pickin'. I do like the ride, however, I had a 1986 Toyota Landcruiser with +180k miles on it with fewer rattles, squeaks and problems.
This is my first Cadillac, sorry folks, but the quality just doesn't cut it for me. Wish you all better luck with yours. In less than one year of ownership, this one is getting traded in before it loses any more value (which it doesn't hold either).

KMO
05-08-07, 09:38 PM
Have you looked at the Buick Enclave? I have seen a few Acadia around town and they have nice lines to me. I own a 2004 SRX RWD and I love it, but this may add an option for you. I see a few "nice" additions like a split third row. Interesting enough the third row in the Enclave has 33.2" of leg room vs. the 24.2 in the SRX also there is 2 more inches of head room in the Buick (in the 3rd row). Thing is, you will give up some second row room (4 inches of leg room) for that as the SRX has the most there. The normal warranty is same for the Buick at 4Y/50K B2B. Just another option... I have loved every Buick I have owned... of course, same goes for Cadillac.

jmayhew
05-09-07, 12:30 PM
Have you looked at the Buick Enclave? I have seen a few Acadia around town and they have nice lines to me..

the arcadia/enclave/outlook do look nice but they are pigs/HEAVY

its 5K lbs...so like 700-800lbs more then a SRX.

i do like them (out of the three i think i like the saturn outlook the best.)
but i'd take the SRX anyday over it.

if i needed somthing bigger it would def. be on the list though

& if i wanted something smaller then the SRX i'd go with the RAV4 V6 hands down.

TSS
05-09-07, 12:37 PM
I have seen a few - have not driven one. I like them a lot. However, a V6 (even a 275HP V6) seems like it would be taxed out with that kind of weight. Throw a GM 5.3 or 6.0 in there, and I would at least take the time look at it.

Paulie Walnuts
05-11-07, 12:52 PM
Hey - If you gotta ask - you don't get it..........

Buy the Mazduh and use the dough you save for a Kelly Clarkson cd.

Badda Bing.

caddycruiser
05-11-07, 11:34 PM
I have seen a few - have not driven one. I like them a lot. However, a V6 (even a 275HP V6) seems like it would be taxed out with that kind of weight. Throw a GM 5.3 or 6.0 in there, and I would at least take the time look at it.

You'd be surprised. They're not drag cars, but they'll peel tire off the line very strongly and do 0-60's actually not far off, if not the same, in that category as a V6 (same engine) SRX. GM really hit it dead on in terms of engine power to the new 6-speed transmission, and tuning both just right, and the Lambda (the 3 crossovers) vehicles are both extremely smooth and refined and also just very quick. And the best benefit is the terrific gas mileage ratings they were also able to achieve, with the V6. People just get the wrong idea from the weight, and automatically say it should have a V8--they are actually going to get one, but there's been no timeframe, and it'll be interesting to see how much it kills the mileage over the seemingly dead on match the V6 gives.

I drove a base Acadia back in January, and loved it, and then today just took out a fully decked out FWD Saturn Outlook and enjoyed it even more with the richer trim and the slight edge in responsiveness given by the upgraded 19" wheel option. I'm still a big SRX fan, but I know of at least a few people who have actually traded theirs for either an Acadia or Outlook, and though they're heavier and not RWD based, are even more refined and overall look and feel more well built.

So, it seems like the SRX is winning here, and that would be my vote over the Mazda--even it too being a great ride--and also too have to throw in my vote of interest in the GM Lambda crossovers, even if they've already been ruled out for whatever reason.

TSS
05-12-07, 09:01 PM
Interesting . My concern with the V-6 in a vehicle that size is NVH, not necessarily power. Any comments on that compared to the SRX?

Sorry Five G - getting off topic...but the new GM crossovers interest me. Anyone want to bet that if the SRX dissapears, Caddy gets their own version.

Mike_S_30189
05-20-07, 08:19 AM
I have both 2007 SRX & GMC Acadia. A comparo is apples & oranges.

I love the Acadia and agree if they either cease building a SRX that a Caddy version could be a strong possibility.

GMJim
05-22-07, 10:33 AM
I have both 2007 SRX & GMC Acadia.

Thanks for keeping me employed

GMJim
05-22-07, 10:35 AM
[quote= this one is getting traded in before it loses any more value (which it doesn't hold either).[/quote]

Get you a nice Japmobile. Their product is perfect.......................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KMO
05-23-07, 08:25 PM
Speaking of which... I was in a co-worker's Honda today and three things stuck out in my mind:
1.) The strange "whirring" noise his engine made.
2.) The poor fit of the seam up near the window where the speaker grill was starting to pop up.
3.) The GIGANTIC dashboard.

Thought I was in a spaceship... but refrained from being impolite and acting like my 4 year old son would have... LOL

Northern SRX
05-26-07, 07:05 AM
Speaking of which... I was in a co-worker's Honda today and three things stuck out in my mind:
1.) The strange "whirring" noise his engine made.
2.) The poor fit of the seam up near the window where the speaker grill was starting to pop up.
3.) The GIGANTIC dashboard.

Thought I was in a spaceship... but refrained from being impolite and acting like my 4 year old son would have... LOL

Different strokes, right?

I'm a Japanese-to-GM convert. I've owned several Toyotas and Mazdas and one Nissan. Best of the lot was our 1992 Mazda 929 - gorgeous car that one. While it was far from perfect, it suited us and served us well. Our '92 Camry was a decent car - boring as a whist tournament in a senior's home but it did the job and was reasonably reliable. I had never owned a domestic prior to 2000 and am now on our 3rd - all GM. Every time I go shopping, I research, cross-shop, and test drive and every time I did, I was left with choices between Japanese, European, and domestic makers. And here is how I see the differences:

Frankly, not much.

Most of the better products by the big manufacturers will serve you well and will also be sufficiently reliable, comfortable, practical, etc. The engineering differences are there to be sure but most of them don't matter much to me - unless there are obvious performance or reliability issues. If the NVH of the 3.8 bothers you, there are fortunately a lot of alternatives out there. Ditto the hard plastics, the feel of the switchgear, and the dash layout: if you don't like the look and feel, once again, there are a number of competitors you can go to. They aren't inherently superior products but they may suit your tastes better.

That is not to dismiss the large number of challenges that GM has to face - many of which have caused it to lose one heckuva lot of market inertia - its vehicles are no longer by default on customers' short list, let alone their "consider" list and it's going to be a tough fight to get back there.

mkaresh
05-26-07, 01:04 PM
When I've driven the SRX, the MRC made a huge difference. With the Mazda, I'm having a hard time warming to the exterior styling. The Lambdas are selling much better. The CX-9 falls in between the Lambdas and the SRX in character.

KMO
05-27-07, 08:20 AM
Different strokes, right?

YES. Agreed... in my case it wasn't so much an issue with Hondas (I owned a Nighthawk S motorcycle) and I have owned Chevy (Isuzu), Nissan, Volvo, Olds, Ford, Buick, Chrysler, Cadillac.
It has a lot to do with HOW you own cars. I purchase mine and keep them for 150K miles or so, typically. I do most of my own maintenance... and have simply found the GM line to be the most easily supportable... and their styling and design fits my tastes better, so far.
When I bought my SRX, there was only one other car in the running, that was an Acura MDX.

Northern SRX
05-27-07, 03:22 PM
YES. Agreed... in my case it wasn't so much an issue with Hondas (I owned a Nighthawk S motorcycle) and I have owned Chevy (Isuzu), Nissan, Volvo, Olds, Ford, Buick, Chrysler, Cadillac.
It has a lot to do with HOW you own cars. I purchase mine and keep them for 150K miles or so, typically. I do most of my own maintenance... and have simply found the GM line to be the most easily supportable... and their styling and design fits my tastes better, so far.
When I bought my SRX, there was only one other car in the running, that was an Acura MDX.

Those two made my final four - the others being the Infiniti FX 35/45 and the Lexus RX. The Acura MDX and Infiniti were 3" wider than the RX/SRX and the MDX drove like a minivan whereas the Infiniti was just too small for my needs. The SRX, on the other hand, was the perfect balance ...for me.

tonygxp
05-27-07, 06:20 PM
interior in the 07'SRX is a level far and aboce the mazda's IMO.. that's where I am driving around and that's what's important to me, when all else is close the interior design alone should be a no brainer Caddy win.. You can get agood deal on an SRX just call a few dealers and price it around, got mine for $500 under invoice in one call (needed to buy in one day to take advantage of an expiring GM card $1500 bonus) if I had a couple weeks I bet i could've dropped it to $1000+ under... good luck

don't forget your E&G classic grille. transformed my SRX into a real conversation piece when I park it places, everyone LOVES the look...

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/TonyGXP/SRX024.jpg

can't do this with the Mazda when the look gets old and boring!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/TonyGXP/srxgrill004.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/TonyGXP/SRXrims013.jpg

look at that interior? it's a CADILLAC!!
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/TonyGXP/SRX014.jpg

front seats ALL THE WAY BACK and look at that legroom?
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/TonyGXP/SRX008.jpg

GMJim
05-27-07, 09:17 PM
Tony, I'm sorry you don't like your SRX. lol

It is a beauty.

b4z
05-28-07, 09:31 AM
Tony,

We have a SRX now and my wife wants a TBSS. I have tried to convince her that it will not drive as smoothly as te SRX, will get worse mileage, interior is older, truck based and not put together as well.
She likes the big shiny wheels. LOL.
I feel like we should get a '07 SRX with the 18" wheels, and maybe I can have somebody polish them for me, even though they are already machine faced.
What do you think?

tonygxp
05-28-07, 06:29 PM
Tony,

We have a SRX now and my wife wants a TBSS. I have tried to convince her that it will not drive as smoothly as te SRX, will get worse mileage, interior is older, truck based and not put together as well.
She likes the big shiny wheels. LOL.
I feel like we should get a '07 SRX with the 18" wheels, and maybe I can have somebody polish them for me, even though they are already machine faced.
What do you think?

the TBSS is a nice "weekend" vehicle, or on cruise night, but for everyday, with the kids and such it rides too harsh (still ten times better than a Jeep SRT8 though, feels like you're riding on the rims). the Caddy is smooth as silk, yet handles great when pushed and I only have the 17" wheels and NO MRC.. I can only imagine what it handles like with the 18's and the MRC (trust me I know what handles and what doesn't, I've had my share of corner carving vehicles in the past).

The wheels are an easy fix, just go on Ebay and order up a set of 18" SRX Factory wheels in chrome like I did. they come to your door in a couple of weeks and you just swap the tires & sensors to the chromed ones and pack the original ones up and call FedEx for the P/U (total cost is about $700 or so with shipping). you can't beat it..

ArcticAir
05-28-07, 06:37 PM
I just leased 07 SRX V6 AWD Silver / Grey 5 seater with the BIG ! sunroof and wood trim package and have no regrets. ($58,900) CDN 39 months @ 1%

I never liked the SRX's dash but the 2007 fixed that.

We looked at and drove the Acadia , CX 9 , Yukon, and Pilot.

I liked the Acadia and it was my pick but the wife loved the srx.

I always liked the BIG SUVs but find the car like ride of the CUV much better.

Another bonus about the SRX is that you wont see one at every intersection or stop sign ! I must see 10 Acadia's and outlooks every time i hit the road.

Only problem now is that we fear parking lots !!!!!!!!!!!!

EXPSD
05-28-07, 07:05 PM
Last week I test drove the CX and the SRX. Sat. I picked up my new SRX!

GMJim
06-05-07, 06:48 AM
Last week I test drove the CX and the SRX. Sat. I picked up my new SRX!

Congrats!!!!! Welcome to the club. Thanks for buying GM!

EXPSD
06-06-07, 09:46 AM
GMJIM If you get a chance, check out my web site, you may get a kick out of it. thinkmadeinusa.com

Playdrv4me
06-06-07, 10:53 AM
If for whatever reason the SRX does not suit you (and I cant really see why), then Volvo XC90 (now available with a 4.4L V8) and Buick Enclave would be next on my list.

The Enclave is right now what it would have been had it been a Cadillac. It even has Xenon headlamps standard (the SRX requires a pricey option package to get them).

Even though the SRX is a marvelous car, it will be phased out in 2009 for the upcoming BRX small crossover, and CTS Wagon. Its just not a very good seller, early reliability and stratospheric pricing hurt it alot in the beginning.

KMO
06-09-07, 09:12 PM
If for whatever reason the SRX does not suit you (and I cant really see why), then Volvo XC90 (now available with a 4.4L V8) and Buick Enclave would be next on my list...

Uh, I would say look at the JD Power VDS and IDS studies. If you are planning on owning your vehicle for 5 years... go Buick between those two... period. Ford appears to have had good influence on the Volvo for long term reliability, but it doesn't appear to be proven there yet.

All of this depends on what your "ownership style" is... I personally buy vehicles and keep them a long time and my personal experience with Buick and Cadillac has re-proven what the VDS studies have said. Volvo ranked high recently on the IDS... so only time will tell now.

If you turn your vehicles over quickly (under warranty) then the statistical difference in the top 2/3 of the manufacturers out there is negligible.

Playdrv4me
06-11-07, 05:00 PM
Uh, I would say look at the JD Power VDS and IDS studies. If you are planning on owning your vehicle for 5 years... go Buick between those two... period. Ford appears to have had good influence on the Volvo for long term reliability, but it doesn't appear to be proven there yet.

All of this depends on what your "ownership style" is... I personally buy vehicles and keep them a long time and my personal experience with Buick and Cadillac has re-proven what the VDS studies have said. Volvo ranked high recently on the IDS... so only time will tell now.

If you turn your vehicles over quickly (under warranty) then the statistical difference in the top 2/3 of the manufacturers out there is negligible.

Not sure what youre talking about, Ive heard substantially less complaints from XC90 owners than early SRX adopters. Im not talking about paper studies, I mean genuine owner feedback, be it from here or other sources. The SRX for 06 and 07 is a substantially improved beast over what it used to be which is why again... I cant see why someone would pass it over... SRX has got to be the best crossover bet right now, especially since Cad backed off their high horse a bit on the ridiculous pricing structure it used to have.

The Buick is nice, but I drove an XC90 this weekend and it has a very stable almost teutonic driving feel to it. I came away very impressed with everything about it (especially the all wood steering wheel, and the rear passenger audio and video buttons on the pillars) except for the transmission response in the 2004 T6 model. The 2.5T actually has one more cog in the trans than the T6 does, so its almost a toss-up between the two. The V8 on the other hand I did not drive, but should be pretty damn fast. The Buick would kind of be a porker in comparison to the SRX and the Volvo.

On a side note, I also checked out a CX-9 at a Mall display here in town and that car has some great dimensions and fit and finish for a Mazda. You could easily put a Lexus badge on that thing and it would be half believable.