: premature tire wear?

sajn05sts
05-07-07, 01:19 AM
My 05 STS is wearing out its tires like crazy. I replaced the rear Michelin HXMX pilot p255/45/17 and had brakes done at 15K at the Dealer. Front tires are fine with 6/32 new are 9/32 he said. 10k later I noticed fronts Michelin HXMX pilot p235/50/17 are worn bald on inside first 3 inches. Anyone else having same Problems? I replaced rear with originals I am having second thoughts for the fronts?

dkozloski
05-07-07, 02:14 AM
There are two major reasons for excessive tire wear; aggressive driving and wheel alignment. If I read your post right, the rears lasted 15 thousand miles and the fronts 25 thousand. The speed rated tires have about 2/3 the original tread depth as ordinary tires but even at that they ought to last longer than yours did. It sounds to me like you have a toe-out problem in the front to wear the insides. I'd have it checked.

dkozloski
05-07-07, 02:16 AM
A stutter post.

BirdJC
05-11-07, 12:39 PM
From what I've read here, seems the oem tires are a "budget" version of the good michelin pilots and that its common to be replacing them in the 20k range. Me personally , go with another brand or one of the better pilot varieties next time around. I'm thinking Kumho's for me...

coati
05-12-07, 01:51 AM
I've got nearly 20K miles on the STS & the rears are nearly gone.
The fronts are still holding up pretty well.
I suspect the traction control & rear wheel drive make the rear tires wear faster?

dkozloski
05-12-07, 10:41 AM
I've got nearly 20K miles on the STS & the rears are nearly gone.
The fronts are still holding up pretty well.
I suspect the traction control & rear wheel drive make the rear tires wear faster?
Plus a heavy right foot. I've got the same problem.

coati
05-12-07, 11:22 AM
Plus a heavy right foot. I've got the same problem.

VERY true!
Forgot about that one.
VERY hard to keep a light foot on the pedal!:;

BMBSALES
05-26-07, 04:22 PM
There are two major reasons for excessive tire wear; aggressive driving and wheel alignment. If I read your post right, the rears lasted 15 thousand miles and the fronts 25 thousand. The speed rated tires have about 2/3 the original tread depth as ordinary tires but even at that they ought to last longer than yours did. It sounds to me like you have a toe-out problem in the front to wear the insides. I'd have it checked.

Most of my friends have an sts, and the problem is inherent to the car (wearing the inside shoulder of tire) when you drive a lot of highway miles.

BMBSALES
05-26-07, 04:24 PM
From what I've read here, seems the oem tires are a "budget" version of the good michelin pilots and that its common to be replacing them in the 20k range. Me personally , go with another brand or one of the better pilot varieties next time around. I'm thinking Kumho's for me...

I think more than "budget", it was suppose to be the quiet version with a comfort ride.

Curious George
05-27-07, 09:57 PM
Most of my friends have an sts, and the problem is inherent to the car (wearing the inside shoulder of tire) when you drive a lot of highway miles.

That's not been my experience. I wore out the OE Michelin Pilot Sports on my '06 1SG/PHP at 26,000 miles, about half of which was cross-country highway driving. The balance was mostly enthusiastic motoring--it IS a luxury SPORTS sedan, after all--including two driving schools and three drag racing sessions at Infinion Raceway. :burn:(My best pass: 14.521 seconds. The "buff books" claim 14.1 seconds. They're professional drivers, I'm not.)

All four tires wore evenly--no bald shoulders. I believe the secrets are regular rotations, monitoring tire pressures and wear patterns, and attending to front AND rear wheel alignments. I've passed the 5,000 mile mark on the replacement Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3s. They appear to be wearing evenly, if rapidly (darn that enthusiastic motoring). :bigroll:

BMBSALES
05-28-07, 02:46 PM
That's not been my experience. I wore out the OE Michelin Pilot Sports on my '06 1SG/PHP at 26,000 miles, about half of which was cross-country highway driving. The balance was mostly enthusiastic motoring--it IS a luxury SPORTS sedan, after all--including two driving schools and three drag racing sessions at Infinion Raceway. :burn:(My best pass: 14.521 seconds. The "buff books" claim 14.1 seconds. They're professional drivers, I'm not.)

All four tires wore evenly--no bald shoulders. I believe the secrets are regular rotations, monitoring tire pressures and wear patterns, and attending to front AND rear wheel alignments. I've passed the 5,000 mile mark on the replacement Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3s. They appear to be wearing evenly, if rapidly (darn that enthusiastic motoring). :bigroll:

people have told me that although unmatched in the rain, those f1's have a weaker sidewall, and you can feel it on the sts. is that your experience? i think i'm going to go with the pilot sport a/s.