: Normal 2 Change Only 1 Air-Ride Suspension???

EXT2003
05-06-07, 09:06 PM
Hello,

I know my post sounds strange or even dumb, but please allow me to explain why I asked such a thing.

After reading some great threads from this forum, and finding out that my suspension is covered under the warranty, I went to the dealership. I explained that with 43k miles the ride is a bit hard, and they said no problem we will check it out and if you need them, they all fully covered.

When I got the truck home and looked under to see the new shocks, I noticed they only replaced the rear passenger shock...ONLY 1 SHOCK, WTF !!!

The Question:

How does the dealership check to see if they need to be replaced?
How can I check to see if the other 3 shocks are bad?

Thanks in advance for any help,

JD

PS: This forum is the best. Lots of great helpful info. Keep up the amazing work!

Playdrv4me
05-07-07, 12:31 AM
You only have two air shocks anyway, the two in the rear.

hcvone
05-07-07, 07:28 AM
The shock may have been leaking slightly. Does it ride any better now?

EXT2003
05-09-07, 01:33 PM
First I would like to thank everyone who stopped by to help out. Seeing how there are only two of them...is it normal practice to change just one?

On some of my other cars, when it was time to change the suspension, you would change all of them.

Can someone please let me know, if they should have changed both.
How does the dealership check to see if they need to be changed?
How can I check myself to see if the other one needs to be fixed?

Since they added the new one, I cant feel the difference...and this might be because the other one needs changing also.

Thanks again and looking forward to some help on this,

J

PS: Can someone please take the time to explain what are all the parts of the suspension...for the front and back.

integline
05-11-07, 11:25 PM
normally if you change 1 you change them all. I would possibly ask them for an explanation as to why they only changed 1 not all.

hcvone
05-12-07, 05:49 AM
I asked if the ride was better because if you had a damaged shock just replacing one would make a difference in the ride. Call the dealer or better yet stop by in person and have them explain it to you. :)

Caddydude420
05-12-07, 07:58 AM
I need to replace mine soon and found some replacement shocks on eBay. They sell them as a pair and separately. I guess it's not as uncommon to replace only one as we think.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-ESCALADE-REAR-AUTO-LEVEL-SHOCK-ESV-EXT-DENALI_W0QQitemZ230127601772QQihZ013QQcategoryZ335 90QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-ESCALADE-REAR-AUTO-LEVEL-SHOCKS-ESV-EXT-DENALI_W0QQitemZ230127588569QQihZ013QQcategoryZ335 90QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They say just to match the production code if you do only one. I guess their trying to do the cheap way out since it's covered by warranty. Most shops charge like $2000 to do this!!

EXT2003
05-14-07, 01:54 PM
Hello,

Well since they changed the one shock I cant tell the diff. When I did ask them why only one, he replied they check them all and only one needed to be replaced.

That might be the reason, or maybe they had one lift in stock that day, or maybe who knows.

This was the reason why I wanted to know how I might be able to check to see if the other shocks are bad. Is there a way to test them? Or a certain tool to hook upto the shock to test it?

Last thing, how would the dealer check to see if they need to be replaced? I know driving the truck would be one way, however there should be another more detailed process.

Thanks again so much for the help,

Playdrv4me
05-14-07, 10:47 PM
Hello,

Well since they changed the one shock I cant tell the diff. When I did ask them why only one, he replied they check them all and only one needed to be replaced.

That might be the reason, or maybe they had one lift in stock that day, or maybe who knows.

This was the reason why I wanted to know how I might be able to check to see if the other shocks are bad. Is there a way to test them? Or a certain tool to hook upto the shock to test it?

Last thing, how would the dealer check to see if they need to be replaced? I know driving the truck would be one way, however there should be another more detailed process.

If the ride is better Im not sure what it is you are worried about. They check the shocks for air leaks and for hydraulic fluid leaks... if there are none they dont replace them. In fact, in most cases shocks are considered wear and tear parts anyway.

hcvone
05-15-07, 06:02 AM
Hello,

The easiest test is if the shock is leaking, that is probably what they found and since it was only one shock they replaced the bad one, just my guess

EXT2003
05-16-07, 10:47 AM
Hello,

The reason I'm asking is because I said that I cant tell if the ride is better or not. To me, the ride feels the same...I never said the ride is better.

The other reason why I wanted to know how they would check to see if each shock was bad or not, is because I looked at each nut/bolt and all of them look un-touched. Meaning, there are no marks of any tools being applied to any of the nuts, except for the shock the fixed. This one has scraps and etc marking on it.

So, if someone would have said, that they unbolt the shock and check it, or etc then I would know for sure, that they never did any kind of checking.

Also, someone mentioned here that the only way they know of for checking if the front and rear shocks are bad is by leaks...well, how would you check if it's leaking? Would there be something leaking down, or only a leaking sound. And would this leaking happen for both the front and rear shocks?

Thanks again for all the great info,
;)