: some new oil information

MonzaRacer
05-06-07, 12:47 PM
Ok so in my looking around someone made a remark about Quakerstate oil.
Well for the life of the name after it was sold off as a brand name.
When I started to work for AutoZone part time several years ago the big Q was owned and marketed by Penzoil (had to read the labels as stocking is a boring job).Well after several years I was simply looking at labels again and guess what, the new holding company is SOPUS, Shell Oil Products U.S.
Then I noticed several of the lighter grades of oil began showing up in Shell packaging and Shell had a new lightweight synthetic diesel oil.
Kind of a cool deal when one of my favorite oil companies takes over the big Q .
I was at a big drag race and a rep fopr Penzoil told me that they had "owned" QS several times. It is kind of like a hot potato that gets passed around. QS has several generic oil products bottled for department stores. A long time ago when Sunoco had the QS label it supplied Sears through that line, Sunoco stil sevices Sear. Oh and Wal-Mart Super Tech is QS produced/distributed.
Kindo f like the way Havoline had been passed around and even Kendal too.
also its like Ford who lost Autolite/Fram/Prestone in a paper battle back in late 60s and is now under an umbrella group owned by Allied Signal/Bendix corp.
Surprizing how things get switched around.

Submariner409
05-06-07, 02:23 PM
:D YO! MONZA.......Pennzoil is in the Shell (SOPUS) camp, too. I have, on a garage shelf, a quart CAN of Quaker State 30 non-detergent from the '60's, with the statement "Made from 100% Pennsylvania crude oil". (Later, that was changed to "Made from 100% Pennsylvania grade crude oil") Still have a metal can-tapper spout, too. Does anyone remember when "detergent" oil was rumored to ruin engines............?

dkozloski
05-06-07, 03:05 PM
Any more oil is turning into a commodity like gasoline. One refiner will produce for a whole raft of bottlers. This is particularly prevalent in aviation products. It makes all the "this oil" vs. "that oil" arguments even more pointless.

JimHare
05-06-07, 03:52 PM
:D YO! MONZA.......Pennzoil is in the Shell (SOPUS) camp, too. I have, on a garage shelf, a quart CAN of Quaker State 30 non-detergent from the '60's, with the statement "Made from 100% Pennsylvania crude oil". (Later, that was changed to "Made from 100% Pennsylvania grade crude oil") Still have a metal can-tapper spout, too. Does anyone remember when "detergent" oil was rumored to ruin engines............?

Oh hell yeah - "it will loosen all the build-up and clog the filter.. "

I remember the metal cans you had to open with the pointed end of a church-key..

I remember helping my dad put SINCLAIR oil in our various odd cars - we had a 2-cylinder German predecessor of the VW Bus called a "Lloyd". I remember a family trip to Washington DC where Dad was afraid of running out of gas on the way home and he shut the engine off and coasted down every hill between DC and home... :)

A friend of mine and I later cannibalized the engine and put it in a go-kart.

Ranger
05-06-07, 08:07 PM
I remember the metal cans you had to open with the pointed end of a church-key..
I hate to say it, but I remember those too. Now that I think about it, I still have one or two "church keys" hanging on the peg board in my garage.

dkozloski
05-07-07, 12:18 PM
I've still got "can tappers". One has an extension hose and a valve for automatic transmissions. I keep the can tappers wrapped up in a shop towel in glass mason jars. I also have a supply of Valvoline racing oil in quart tin cans.

JimHare
05-07-07, 01:03 PM
Do they still have those metal "spouts" with a can opening blade that you shove down onto a metal can, upend it over your oil filler, and go to town?

I always end up spilling oil out of the damn plastic containers, but don't remember the metal spouts being nearly so leak-prone..unless they slipped off the can just as you turned it upside down.. :(

Submariner409
05-07-07, 04:34 PM
:highfive: The new tool is called "F-U-N-N-E-L". (Hold still, Margo Lane...The Shadow knows...!)

JimHare
05-07-07, 10:27 PM
:highfive: The new tool is called "F-U-N-N-E-L". (Hold still, Margo Lane...The Shadow knows...!)

I thought funnel was a kind of cake you get on the board walk?...

dkozloski
05-07-07, 10:30 PM
I thought funnel was a kind of cake you get on the board walk?...
Naw! It's a fuzzy thing the girls have.

Murphyg
05-07-07, 11:24 PM
Any more oil is turning into a commodity like gasoline. One refiner will produce for a whole raft of bottlers. This is particularly prevalent in aviation products. It makes all the "this oil" vs. "that oil" arguments even more pointless.

Where does it all come from not and or for too.......:stirpot: Oils is turning into a commodity like gasoline :highfive: :thepan: LMAQO Is turning into :eek: :eek:

Zakleee......All pointless.....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/97682-canadian-members-petro-canada-2.html

Less the Q could be answered.

What happened to some real helpfull info from this site ?
Other than what I did and worked for me and long time ago when things where different kinda crud......????

I havent been into the Much Newer Vehicle Sections seein as i dont have a Much Newer Vehicle. But its lookin as though anything under 2000 or even 2003 (forums) has become negligable.

Seriously.
Appears that alot of the info given for anything under 00 is just as questionable as what is being questioned from a dealer.

Seems too much is missing when it became kinda like a hang out jount.

Can we keep with the threads and keep with the info ?

Or is Caddy info gonna take over ?
Maybe Ill take a look ??

Anyone anything bout the oil ?
Was an oil Q wasnt it.........??? Not bout whom may have an old punch can somewhere.

If yous want to chat bout old times then no prob. Chat with your bud.
Thats what chat forums and or other sections are for.
But if no way to help and or no opinion to the thread then dont bother.

And Dont Even Try To Say The Same to me. Cause Im just folowing the thread my self and realized there aint squat here other than talk of old cans.,

:horse:

Ya search function is great.
But aint so great when a search is done and have to read through this kind of retoric till realize the thread is for nott.

If its already there then dont reply and or dont carry it on.

Dont waste the bandwidth on another thread with idle chat.....what some may/could call hyjacking .
If its already been said and posted.
If is already here somewhere........If you want to be a part of the thread.....

If you feel you need to be a part of the forum......recognized and allllll
If this is where you want to be to HELP others.....

Then stay here and do a search for those that arent able/capable, for whatever reason, for themselves.

Yous' all here and know the answeres ?
Dont want to repeat them again...?
Then leave ...or work with the forum as its worked for "US"

If you want chat then go and chat.

This is not a casuall chat forum/or should I say section.

Bandwidth aint cheap. Can we do the what is /what the / what brought us here in the first place alive :golden:

Cant let this site go down cause of this kinda retorical crype :gah:

Murphyg
05-07-07, 11:27 PM
Remember this thread is North Star Performance And Technical Discussion.

Ya Old cans right ..-.-.-.--.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

dkozloski
05-08-07, 12:13 AM
Remember this thread is North Star Performance And Technical Discussion.

Ya Old cans right ..-.-.-.--.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Canuckleheads forever! Let's straighten up here men. No more idle chit chat! Serious threads for the knowledge hungry.

Murphyg
05-08-07, 12:32 AM
Canuckleheads forever! Let's straighten up here men. No more idle chit chat! Serious threads for the knowledge hungry.

Sounds good to me.
Lets sip some tee :bdmuffin:

cadillacmike68
05-09-07, 11:54 PM
I remember the spouts with the big puncture blade on the end. they were ok unless the rubber gasket came loose or fell off - then watch out - oil shower on the intake manifold.
I have the church keys on the fridge - they still sell some juice in 48oz cans. I think there's one in one of my tool boxes as well - just in case (just in case i run across a beer without a twist off cap!!).