: spark plugs and wires

michaeljohnson
05-05-07, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this group and have a 95 Eldorado with the Northstar engine. My car was running a little rough, especially when I put it in reverse or at low rpm in drive. It also would pop from time to time. I changed the air filter myself and was going to change the plugs and wires but decided to take it to the dealer instead. They charged me $750 for this saying it would take 4 hours of labor to do so. I agreed and had it done. Does anyone know if it takes that long to change the plugs and plug wires? The svc. mgr. said you have to hold the back of the motor up to route the wires in the back. I just hope he is telling the truth and I wasn't "taken for a ride". Anyone with any knowledge of this problem I would appreciate any feed back.

Glad to give the benefit of the doubt and thanks in advance to any reply,

Mike

Ranger
05-05-07, 10:05 PM
Did he kiss you? Because you definitely got screwed. I did my '97 Deville in about an hour. I guaranty you that an experienced mechanic would be in and out in 30 minutes. You should have checked in here BEFORE you gave them the OK. A/C Delco Plugs are $5 ea. and wires are $225 at http://www.rockauto.com. Dealer will likely charge you $10 for the plugs and well over $300 for the wires.

lbwd
05-05-07, 11:07 PM
Holly Phuckgruzmo! :kick:
I just had 4 hours of labor along with new AC/Delco plugs and wires, 2 belts, coolant/rad flush, tire rotation, hoses, O2 sensor, and tune up for $599.37.

jadcock
05-06-07, 07:37 AM
It took me 1-2 hours also, doing it myself. Cost of the parts is about $100 if you don't get the ACDelco wires (GMpartsdirect screwed me on those, and I had to go aftermarket due to a time constraint at the time).

michaeljohnson
05-06-07, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all of your replies. Now before I go raising hell at the dealership, would there be a difference in the engine set up and wiring on my 95 Eldorado and your cars? And is there anyone I can take my complaint to that you know of?

Thanks again,

Mike

EcSTSatic
05-06-07, 03:02 PM
That's obscene!
I would get estimates from other mechanics including another Caddy dealer if possible. Tell the service manager you'll take this to civil court if he doesn't refund the overcharge.

Did he stick you for other services that you didn't ask for?

Ranger
05-06-07, 03:52 PM
No differences. Pre 2000 Northstars are basically the same when it comes to plug & wires. They are actually easier to do than the 4.9 or GM's 3800. If you are going to complain, I'd definitely go in armed with estimates. That said, I will be surprised if you get anywhere. Bottom line is, they gave you a quote and you said OK, but it can't hurt to try.

michaeljohnson
05-07-07, 12:14 PM
Thanks again for your feedback, I definately will check in here before, next time. The dealership is called Coast Cadillac in Long Beach, CA. I won't be so trusting next time.

Mike

davestpierre
05-07-07, 01:05 PM
I was thinking about trying the power max plug wire set from rock auto on 97 sts,it is about have the price as acdelco.Has any one used the power max & if they had any trouble with them.