: Service Stability??

Playdrv4me
05-05-07, 09:43 PM
Had a shop replace the Idler arm and Pitman arm today and now I am getting a "Service Stability" message on the DIC when I start the truck. Obviously something got disconnected when they were working on it but I cant tell what. Tried to tell the shop I took it to but they dont have the foggiest clue what it could be, and I didnt want them poking around anymore than they needed to. It was kind of a shady place.

Has anyone had this before? On the Devilles and Sevilles its usually the ABS Wheel speed sensor, but I dont know on these.

Max-Q
05-05-07, 11:19 PM
Bump for an answer. I have the same problem after a shop removed my left front wheel during a safety inspection. :banghead: Now the "Service Stability" warning comes on constantly, especially when I hit a bump.

Playdrv4me
05-06-07, 01:03 AM
Yep, and the only thread I found in the archives was yet another member who removed his 24s for winter to put on his stock wheels... same thing.

I confronted the shop, but of course with this type of place you dont have much recourse. I didnt push too hard because even then, they would have just torn apart wires and broken something else. The worst part is, I took the truck to the alignment shop, and now it aligned perfectly, as it should with the new parts... but would you believe it STILL PULLS to the right a bit? I feel like I accomplished NOTHING today.

slk230mb
05-06-07, 01:30 AM
Get a code reader and see what code it's setting. If you have OnStar ask them to do a remote diagnostic, they can give you the code. You could always look under the truck to see if any wires are disconnected. If it's still pulling to the right rotate and balance the tires.

Max-Q
05-07-07, 02:15 AM
Yep, and the only thread I found in the archives was yet another member who removed his 24s for winter to put on his stock wheels... same thing.

I confronted the shop, but of course with this type of place you dont have much recourse. I didnt push too hard because even then, they would have just torn apart wires and broken something else. The worst part is, I took the truck to the alignment shop, and now it aligned perfectly, as it should with the new parts... but would you believe it STILL PULLS to the right a bit? I feel like I accomplished NOTHING today.

Would you believe after I called the shop about this they said "let us call around and find someone that knows about it. That way we can try to save you a little money" :canttalk: It sucks since the thing worked fine prior to having them perform a manditory state safety inspection. After they removed the wheel it started and it does it constantly.

I think I'm going to remove the wheel again and see if something is loose or out of line on the sensor. After that I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer.

Playdrv4me
05-07-07, 02:43 AM
Would you believe after I called the shop about this they said "let us call around and find someone that knows about it. That way we can try to save you a little money" :canttalk: It sucks since the thing worked fine prior to having them perform a manditory state safety inspection. After they removed the wheel it started and it does it constantly.

I think I'm going to remove the wheel again and see if something is loose or out of line on the sensor. After that I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer.

Have you noticed that when the message comes up if you push the Traction over-ride button the dash you get a little orange "TC" icon with a slash through it on the upper right corner of the dash instead of the STABILITY DISENGAGED on the DIC? It appears what breaks is the Stabilitrak portion of the traction control system... that is, the Steering sensing part of Stabilitrak (and interestingly, you still retain basic traction control for the wheel skid part). This kind of goes in line with the fact that I had my pitman and idler arms replaced, but in your case they just took off the wheel. Its a big WTF for sure... Ill post once I can pull codes to find out what might be going on.

hcvone
05-07-07, 08:21 AM
Did you look under the truck for any broken wires or disconnected connectors?

Playdrv4me
05-07-07, 10:31 AM
Did you look under the truck for any broken wires or disconnected connectors?

Well I checked at both wheels and nothing was broken or disconnected that I could see. Being that the pitman arm connects directly to the steering system, Im sure something was either damaged or disconnected near there. I just have to take more time to look when I get a chance.