: Shell Rotella T 10W-30 CJ-4/SM

jadcock
05-05-07, 05:08 PM
Someone on BITOG recently posted this VOA (Virgin Oil Analysis). Looks to be a very nice oil.

Aluminum 0
Chromium 0
Iron 1
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 0
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 29
Silicon 4
Sodium 3
Calcium 1944
Magnesium 6
Phosphorus 893
Zinc 1008
Barium 0
Sus@210F 64.8 should be 59 - 66
FlashInF 425 should be > 400
Fuel% - should be < 1.0
Antifreeze% - should be 0
Water% 0.0 should be 0.0
Insolubles% 0.0 should be < 0.7
TBN 10.8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackstone Comments: Blackstone Comments: This oil has a starting TBN of 10.8, which is about as high as any type oil we know of for a 10W/30. Apparently this oil has a diesel engine rating to start out with a TBN this high. The viscosity was strong for a 10W/30 when checked @ 210F. This oil was found to be clean and dry and it should serve your engine's needs well.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=803754&an=0&page=0#Post803754

Submariner409
05-05-07, 05:45 PM
The zinc-anal oil worriers will love this info.....also high numbers for other anti-scuff additives, and it looks as if the oil will hold viscosity at running temperature. SEND YOUR OWN OIL out for analysis...it's worth it to KNOW, not speculate on someone else's claims.

AlBundy
05-05-07, 05:47 PM
Good info. Thanks.

jadcock
05-05-07, 07:14 PM
SEND YOUR OWN OIL out for analysis...it's worth it to KNOW, not speculate on someone else's claims.

I don't know if that comment to me, but this was a Virgin Oil Analysis (new oil), not a Used Oil Analysis. I agree that someone else's UOA doesn't say much about how an oil might/will run in a different application.

Submariner409
05-06-07, 10:20 AM
;) No....general comment on oil analysis, meaning that, if you really want to know the condition of your engine and oil, send YOUR new oil out for a VOA. Use the same oil as the sample. Then, after your oil/filter change, send the USED sample for analysis. Now you have the beginnings of a record of engine wear. It takes a few bucks and time to compile an engine wear record, but darn near every commercial and marine operator uses oil analysis as a maintenance tool. It's simple to pull a sample at any time, and, for the N* owners, if you suspect a coolant leak, stuck piston rings, excess fuel flow, or anything else mechanical, an oil analysis, compared with your VOA, may well save you a bundle. For 10 years I skippered a research vessel equipped with 4 Cummins twin-turbo V-12's, 2 on each shaft. We used the Drydene oil service, and never had a catastrophic mechanical failure. The idea of doing your own VOA is excellent advice.

MonzaRacer
05-06-07, 12:27 PM
Submariner is right analyze your new oil and some at next change will give you a great view of your engines use of the additive package. If certain levels are depleated then it isnt holding up.Also the contaminates will tell you your how well the oils keeping your engine clean.