: Escalade hybrids?

QuailRider
05-04-07, 11:04 AM
There was a lot of buzz last year about Escalade hybrids coming late 2007. But lately that buzz has all but disappeared. Called my local dealership last month, but the sales guy knew nothing (that he would admit to anyway). Does anyone have more recent info about ETA? I'm guessing 2009 model year, but that's pure speculation.

Falkolade
05-04-07, 02:42 PM
it was posed a couple weeks ago, they will be out this fall, with a 25% improvement in fuel economy

QuailRider
05-05-07, 01:28 AM
The quoted news release was from Feb 06 (if I'm reading the same thread you're referring to). Haven't seen any more recent news to indicate that they're on track to meet their original timeline.

za kayf
06-03-07, 05:35 PM
They will come out in 2008. Check out Edmonds.com

Slapshot
06-03-07, 06:47 PM
Car & Driver reported in March that the Hybrid Escalade will go on sale this fall as a 2008.

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/12598/2009-cadillac-escalade-hybrid.html

GM-4-LIFE
06-04-07, 06:08 PM
Yes, the Hybrid version of the Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade will be out this fall as a 2008 model, but with only 25% savings on fuel and probably a sticker premium, why should we bother?

SG

caddycruiser
06-04-07, 07:06 PM
Yes, they're coming out, and the Tahoe/Yukon models are at least right there and ready to go, but no real equipment or pricing data has still yet to be released or even mentioned, so expect a late (I'm guessing mid) model year intro still--nothing really this fall, at least not until maybe the very end.

The great part is, according to some professional mags and such that have done reviews, they drive and operate fantastic--finally being a GM Hybrid that can move on 100% electric. The bad part is, they're still heavy trucks, and trucks that are already expensive as is, so with the mandated price bump due to all the Hybrid parts, they'll really be in stratospheric territory and only for the few and far between who want a big SUV but also just want the Hybrid badge "because".

It was a great idea, and still kind of is, especially being the first to market and with apparently a fantastic package, but the pricing issues really have GM in a tizzy right now.

alb0zf1n3st
06-05-07, 09:55 AM
Well I dont want to provide wrong info and say its not comming or it is because I am in the same shoes as everyone else. If you google 2008 Cadillac Escalade hybrid you get alot of articles and if you google it saying 2009 You get new articles with recent dates.. Months ago they said 2008 but now when you search 2009 newer articles say 2009

psalmist
06-05-07, 01:23 PM
I have yet to be impressed with hybrid technology. They would do better with a diesel engine.

Dif
06-05-07, 05:31 PM
If the Hybrid is going to cost more, it will NEVER make enough difference in better gas mileage to outweigh the extra money spent to buy one.
Not in the Real world anyway.
And don't forget the price of Batteries:alchi:

Synergetic
06-06-07, 12:21 AM
If the Hybrid is going to cost more, it will NEVER make enough difference in better gas mileage to outweigh the extra money spent to buy one.
Not in the Real world anyway.

:yeah:

psalmist
06-06-07, 12:25 AM

Or the pollution involve in making and disposing of those NiMH batteries.

Snowboater
06-06-07, 04:11 PM
Say real world MPG improves by 2-3 mpg in mixed driving. If you drive 12000 miles per year, you'd save $750-$1000 a year in your fuel cost . So it's easy to do the math for your individual situation to see if it's worth it once we know the price difference and the expected number of years you expect to own the car. Since I wouldn't own one more than 4 years , it wouldn't be worth it if it cost more than $3K premium, esp as this is all new technology from GM and it's Allison Division , so you know there will be first year bugs not uncovered until real owner " beta testers " get there cars and a total mystery for your neighborhood dealer tech to trouble shoot and repair.

Mobius
06-06-07, 06:15 PM
Say real world MPG improves by 2-3 mpg in mixed driving. If you drive 12000 miles per year, you'd save $750-$1000 a year in your fuel cost . So it's easy to do the math for your individual situation to see if it's worth it once we know the price difference and the expected number of years you expect to own the car. Since I wouldn't own one more than 4 years , it wouldn't be worth it if it cost more than $3K premium, esp as this is all new technology from GM and it's Allison Division , so you know there will be first year bugs not uncovered until real owner " beta testers " get there cars and a total mystery for your neighborhood dealer tech to trouble shoot and repair.

$750 to $1000 is a bit optimistic I think. assuming gas at a round $3 per gallon since it bounces up and down throughout a year. And assume beginning gas mileage is an atrocious 13 MPG. You are going to spend roughly $2769 for gas for 12,000 miles. Now give that a 3mpg boost to 16MPG. Same price of gas, etc, you are going to spend $2250, that's a whoping $500 savings per year. Assuming a $3k cost premium (which is very conservative since some hybrids are $5k plus) it will take 6 years to pay itself off. If you only give it a 2 mpg boost you are going to spend $2400 so you are only saving $369 per year.

IEEE did a study on the cost savings of hybrid vehicles and found in every case they did not pay back the premium difference within the expected life span of the vehicle. They even factored in pollution costs and credits etc.

Buy a hybrid if you want the "image of being green" otherwise, don't bother.

Snowboater
06-06-07, 06:55 PM
In my neck of the woods, 80% of Prius owners have at least two other cars, many a big SUV ( including a 5 y/o Ford Excursion !) and a luxury sedan. They gotta have the "correct" vehicle for the music fund raisers, lunch with certain potential clients ,carpooling on the kids' elem school field trips or hauling the family and a couple the kids' friends and all the summer/winter gear up to Lake Tahoe .

Yeah, I'm assuming GM will charge 5K or so, which like a Prius, you'll never recoup the $$ difference in 5-8 years, but may feel good that your personal emissions are less, if it helps you sleep better at night. I predict the parts department will also see a big demand for the trucks' " Hybrid " stick- on rear badges !:thumbsup: :bigroll:

psalmist
06-07-07, 12:14 AM
The improved fuel economy that is in the EPA estimates of hybrids considers only very moderate use of the accelerator pedal.

Although it has its biases, this might make for an interesting read.

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/editorial/editorial_item.asp?NewsID=188