: My 68 is great

mharker
05-02-07, 10:01 PM
This winter I stored my 68 sdv in a storage facility near my place. Put it away on a dry cold day Dec 24.

Went to pick her up today (almost five months later). In the 10 years I've had it I never went this long without starting it.

I was in a rush back in December so left the battery connected. Wasn't enough juice to start. But hooked her up to my RM and vrrrrrrm it immediately roared to life.

Drove out exactly as I put her in. No surprises. 100,000 miles on original engine and this car felt real happy to be out driving. If you ever want a low maintenance hobby car get a 472 they're great!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-02-07, 10:26 PM
As far as power and acceleration goes, how's the high compression 472 compare to the LT1? I remember seeing road tests of the 68 deVilles and they were running a high 15- mid 16 second 1/4 mile stock! Surprising performance for a 39 year old Cadillac!

eldorado99
05-02-07, 11:02 PM
This winter I stored my 68 sdv in a storage facility near my place. Put it away on a dry cold day Dec 24.

Went to pick her up today (almost five months later). In the 10 years I've had it I never went this long without starting it.

I was in a rush back in December so left the battery connected. Wasn't enough juice to start. But hooked her up to my RM and vrrrrrrm it immediately roared to life.

Drove out exactly as I put her in. No surprises. 100,000 miles on original engine and this car felt real happy to be out driving. If you ever want a low maintenance hobby car get a 472 they're great!!

I hear ya! Everytime I put my '70 in storage it starts right up and purrs, then drives like it just rolled off the line. It's also on 100K miles on the original drivetrain. Great cars!

JTraik
05-02-07, 11:25 PM
Yes these engines treat us pretty good by starting up like that, but you guys better treat them good back!!! You should start here up at least twice a month and let it get up to operating temperature. This will keep corrosion off the cylinder walls and will get oil on all the parts that need it. It will also keep away any critters that are looking for a nice new home.

JTraik
05-02-07, 11:33 PM
As far as power and acceleration goes, how's the high compression 472 compare to the LT1? I remember seeing road tests of the 68 deVilles and they were running a high 15- mid 16 second 1/4 mile stock! Surprising performance for a 39 year old Cadillac!

472 compared to an LT1... well thats a difficult comparison. The 472 is a much more powerful motor than the LT1, however the LT1 due to its smaller size is more snappier of an engine as far as RPMs go. The 472 will ALWAYS have the power advantage because of its larger capacity.

Comparing stock components of these engines... the 472 has an incredibly strong lower end, the heads are great, the only weakpoint is the rocker system, but there are plenty of aftermarket fixes.

All in all the 472/500 is just a beast of an engine... a freakin beast.

mharker
05-03-07, 08:56 AM

Actually I used to think my 68 was a pretty fast car. But now that I have the LT1 Roadmaster it does feel quite slow by comparison. Maybe there's a difference when you pass 100mph but I don't do that very often.

Then I got my 6spd LT1 Corvette and now I find the Roadmaster slow by comparison. Now that thing really flies! Hammer on it in 3rd or 4th and the acceleration is very impressive.

Caddy is still a great cruiser though. Very smooth acceleration.

3rd
05-03-07, 09:44 AM
yall make me so happy I got a 472, 37 years old and still runnin *great*

z06bigbird
05-03-07, 10:34 AM

Believe it or not, 69 model was reportedly the best Caddy made back then, although you are doing ext well with yours.

lochenjons
05-03-07, 11:27 AM
i test drove a '67 coupe deville and that thing SCREAMED. had a 472 that looked pretty much brand new. well it wasn't the stock engine cause the guy said he just put it in there, but still. threw me into the back of the seat in no time. sounded great too. man i wish i had enough money to buy that car :(