: Stay away from Guys Tire Buys in Staten Island NY

Tommy Deville
05-01-07, 10:45 PM
Ok, so my 97 deville poped a belt tensioner & pully, The car over heated went into protection mode in the mater of minutes, so since I was about 6 blocks from my friends house I parked it & walked over to his house, While I was decideing If I should have it towed to my Regular Mechanic wich was not that far away, it would have been a $45 tow @ most from where I was, but My friend has used this shop in the past it was within driving distance from his house & from where I parked the car, so the next morning I take it down there, I tell them what the prolbem was, I give them my Info name address, When he asked for my Address I had hesitated as It was a diffrent zip code than where I was located, although the the 2 zip codes are right next to each other, anyway I give the guy my address & i see his eyes light up a little bit, so that was the First sign.

So I leave, I had borrowed a friend of mines 2005 4runner with the V8, what a nice truck, anyway I go about my day, the shop calls & says umm, yea listen we have the car running your belt is attached its ok. So now Im really worried, I explain to the guy how there are belts on both sides of the motor, the water pump is on the drivers side, there was a long pause, I than add, you can see that the beltensioner & belt are shredded, He says ummm ok will check it out. Now Im nervous.

So he calls me back about 45 minutes later and tells me ok, yea u need two pullys the belt tensioner & the motor mounts are about to snap off, HIS EXACT WORDS, im Looking @ $875.00. So I said WHAT? FOR 2 PULLYS & A BELT THAT I KNOW FOR A FACT I CAN CHANGE MYSELF, so imediataly this scumbag backs off $875.00 does a "quick" re-work of the prices & says ok $700.00 the guy came off his price by $275.00 in a matter of seconds, So now, I can feel the vessel in my forehead about to pop, I told him dont do anything I'll get back to you. I hang up the phone.

So about 20 minutes goes by I'm in a real bad mood now, I know that this is a $250.00 to $275.00 job, so I compose myself decide Im gonna get it towed to my regular mechanic & if it is that much money, which I know its not Screw it I'd rather give it to him anyway than some stranger. I call the Theif back ask him how much it was to look @ the car he tells me $25.00, so I have to come back from a meeting I was having in NJ to deal with this. I get there I go to pay him and he tells me, well let me tell u what you need first, He shows me what I already know, I said listen, I know what this is supposed to cost, even if I do Need the water pump pully, evverything is right on top, I can get the treading tool to pull the pullys off if you dont have it, As far as the mounts go, if the motor isnt tourging badly, I'm not worried about it, but they do need to reppalced, which I am planning to do myself in the near future, so after the back & forth, the price with parts & labor was $340.00, I said fine write it up & if it goes a penny above $340.00 you call me.

So, I leave the shop & upon reviewnig the orginal estimate & quote here was the break down:
1 belt for water pump $ 35.00
1 belt tension for water pump $167.00 :mad2:
1 belt pully $ 75.00 :cookoo:
2 motor mounts $ 100.00
Total Parts $377.00 :bomb:
Labor $80.00 x6.5 hours= $520.00 + tax thr total orginal bill was $897.00
is this guy freaking nuts???

what I wound up paying for
1 belt for water pump $ 25.00
1 belt tension for water pump $ 67.00
1 belt pully $ 35.00

Total Parts $127.00
Total labor 2 1/2 hours X$80.00=$184.00
Toal Bill $340.00

What do you think? am I over reacting? or was this guy trying to sucker me.
I think this guy really thought he had me on the hook, & when I called him out on it infront of his people & customers he completly changed his tune, Unbeelievable how people try to screw you if they dont know you. Thank God I have some knowledge of cars & this forum is around to help one Another.

So they did the work, everything seems ok, Its been in the low to mid 80's here in NYC the past few days I've ran the car all over highway, up hills, city traffic & let it idle, its cooling fine, no sign of head gasket failure, The oil had been changed within the past month so it was fairly new It could be in my head but I feel like I'm smelling a slight hint of Antifreeze, but again It may be in my head, Im gonna get the oil changed tomorrow as the car is telling me to do so.

Again, thanks to this forum for helping keeping me in the Know!

Ranger
05-02-07, 12:44 AM
Of coarse he was trying to screw you. Just think of how many people would have grumbled and wrote a check, then bitched about how expensive Caddys are to repair. He probably makes a very good living.

thu
05-02-07, 12:11 PM
This guy was trying to take you, no question. Good for you to stand up to him. The more people stand up to crooks like this, the better off everybody will be.

z06bigbird
05-02-07, 09:33 PM
Very frustrating to hear about mechanics like that.

Tommy Deville
05-03-07, 08:57 PM
Yea These guys are scumbags!

99Classillac
05-04-07, 04:41 PM
Good looking out. I live on Staten Island. I hope he doesn't screw your car over in a fit of anger against you. I hate those crooked mechanics.

99Classillac
05-04-07, 04:42 PM
Oh and do you have any recommendations for a mechanic for my 1999 Deville? I need 2 halfshafts replaced and an alignment.

Tommy Deville
05-04-07, 05:02 PM
Good looking out. I live on Staten Island. I hope he doesn't screw your car over in a fit of anger against you. I hate those crooked mechanics.

It seems to be ok now.....so I guess time will tell.

I use Wil-Jhons for just about everything, My family has a long standing relationship with Bobby Sr. & Now with Jr. His Manager Frank usually does the right thing. They are so busy & have a really good reputation that they DON'T have to screw anyone over.

Funny story, When I was a kid I cracked my bike in half, it just fell apart in two pieces, my Dad took me to Wil-Jhons to have it welded back together, Bobby Sr. still breaks my balls about it when ever I see him.

Playdrv4me
05-04-07, 05:32 PM
He saw you a'comin.

digitalcaddie
05-09-07, 04:40 PM
For those in Chicago-land, avoid Cadillac of Naperville for reasons stated above. I needed a second FOB for my car so I get a quote from them: $60 if you buy their FOB and they program it for you for free. I say "I can get a FOB off eBay for $10, how much to program that one?" They reply "$60 to program an outside FOB". I say "the seller says he'll include programming instructions" and the dealer claims "it won't work...you need a $2000 computer that only dealers have to program the FOBs." I go with the guy from eBay, programmed the thing myself with no computer and everything works fine. So either Cadillac of Naperville is trying to hose me over or they don't know their Cadillacs.

Different occasion. My alternator goes out so I ask the guy at the service department at Cadillac of Naperville for a quote. I don't remember what price he gave me, but it was high so I asked whats up with that. He says you have to drop the A/C compressor to get the alternator out which is a good chunk of labor. So I go to my local mechanic and the job did take him a while cuz he had to move the radiator, but definitely not the A/C compressor. So once again Cadillac of Naperville was either lying to me or they don't know their cars...either way that's NOT who I want to give my biz to. DON'T DEAL WITH CADILLAC OF NAPERVILLE.

digitalcaddie
05-09-07, 04:43 PM
Hey Ranger/Sponsors...what about putting a section up on the Forum where people can post their experiences with different mechanics/repair shops/stealerships? That would definitely be useful so people would know where to go to get things fixed that they can't do themselves. Just a suggestion...

99Classillac
05-09-07, 08:31 PM
Yea that sounds like a good forum to start. That way someone can save themselves from gettin hosed.

Ranger
05-09-07, 09:37 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-dealership-reviews/

boricuacaddy
05-11-07, 01:02 PM
My alternator goes out so I ask the guy at the service department at Cadillac of Naperville for a quote. I don't remember what price he gave me, but it was high so I asked whats up with that. He says you have to drop the A/C compressor to get the alternator out which is a good chunk of labor. So I go to my local mechanic and the job did take him a while cuz he had to move the radiator, but definitely not the A/C compressor. So once again Cadillac of Naperville was either lying to me or they don't know their cars...either way that's NOT who I want to give my biz to. DON'T DEAL WITH CADILLAC OF NAPERVILLE.

Thanks for the heads up! I go to Napleton Cadillac in Park Ridge, IL. They have not let me down so far. Knock on wood! I have had all my service with them since I bought the car and it all has been good.

David