: 94 N* Fuel Problem. Need some Help !!

barryr
05-01-07, 11:01 PM
I have a 94 SLS with 226k on it. It ran great until 2 days ago. My wife called from 200 miles away and said when she started the car it ran rough, idled high and white smoke was pouring out of the back. I drove to get her and checked for the usual, low coolant, low oil, murky oil. All fluids were fine. I decided to try and drive it home, the smoke cleared up after a few minuets of high sppeed driving, but comes back when at slower speeds. I figured it would either make it our blow up. Well it made it and now I'm stuck fixing it. The problem is I can't tell what the problem is. I pulled and cleaned the plugs, they were fine #1 was a bit carbony. I've got good spark at all 8 cylinders, fuel pressure is good. I believe it to be an injector problem, but am at a loss on how to check for it. Can I run the engine for a short time to listen to the injectors with the beauty cover off and the bolts in place? Is there some other check I can make before buttoning it up and taking it to a mechanic? I try and do most of my own work, I've down the heads and timeserts so I'm confident it's not the head gasket. Also my Hiway MPG went from 28 to about 6 on the drive back.. Thanks for any help you can give!!

eldorado1
05-02-07, 12:02 AM
Barryr-

The beauty cover you speak of is actually the top of your intake manifold. You cannot run it with it off.

I think you should check the fuel pressure regulator. They are known to rupture, which would cause your intake to flood with gasoline. It is located inside the intake manifold. There is a thread somewhere on here (possibly in tech tips) on how to check it.

Ranger
05-02-07, 01:48 AM
Yup, I agree. The FPR is the most likely, cheapest and easiest place to start.

Eldobroken
05-02-07, 12:13 PM
I have a 94 SLS with 226k on it. It ran great until 2 days ago. My wife called from 200 miles away and said when she started the car it ran rough, idled high and white smoke was pouring out of the back. I drove to get her and checked for the usual, low coolant, low oil, murky oil. All fluids were fine. I decided to try and drive it home, the smoke cleared up after a few minuets of high sppeed driving, but comes back when at slower speeds. I figured it would either make it our blow up. Well it made it and now I'm stuck fixing it. The problem is I can't tell what the problem is. I pulled and cleaned the plugs, they were fine #1 was a bit carbony. I've got good spark at all 8 cylinders, fuel pressure is good. I believe it to be an injector problem, but am at a loss on how to check for it. Can I run the engine for a short time to listen to the injectors with the beauty cover off and the bolts in place? Is there some other check I can make before buttoning it up and taking it to a mechanic? I try and do most of my own work, I've down the heads and timeserts so I'm confident it's not the head gasket. Also my Hiway MPG went from 28 to about 6 on the drive back.. Thanks for any help you can give!!
Check the Fuel Rail feeding the injectors. They are known to crack my 94 did. BTW its kind of expensive for a plastic POS. $350 if i remember right.

barryr
05-04-07, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the help.. Turned out it was melted wiring to one of the injectors keeping it on all the time.

eldorado1
05-04-07, 11:57 PM
That would have been my 4th guess