: Why did you choose STS-V over the German brands?

Da Dark Jedi
05-01-07, 11:39 AM
Why did you chose the STS-V over Audi (BMW & Benz)? Perfer to talk mostly about Audi in general. I was under impression that German craftsmanship was better and they were putting out better numbers that the american cars in the respective price range?

Also, how would you compare the reliability factor between Audi and Cadillac? It seem like there's a love hate issue with Caddy when I talk to owners and read the this forum. I don't get the chance to talk to Audi owners, it's not many I see.

So I would like to know in detail the factors that made you chose Cadillac over the German makes, particular Audi. And lets talk about the cost of maintenance, cost to operate and parts, was these items taken into account? Also forgot about the quailty of service from dealerships?

Let's hear it all the pains and smiles that went into your decission. Is Cadillac finally doing things right? Making an effort to compete for the American dollar?

GM-4-LIFE
05-01-07, 12:09 PM
I was always a diehard GM fan because I feel that most of the products they make are better than average in all categories. From my experience buying GM products since 1994, I can honestly say that for the money, GM doesn't make bad vehicles and the maintenance costs are low and GM vehicles for the most part are easy to work on so if you are mechanically inclined to do, GM has a simplified design on their vehicles.

My wife wanted a change of pace a few years back so we first went with a 2002 Mercedes CLK 430. What a mistake that was. The quality was worse than anything GM could produce or anything I have had from the 20-30 GM vehicles I have owned over the last decade. I couldn't believe the things that would fall apart on this German pile. From the steering components, suspension components to the exterior and interior trim pieces. Everything would just fall apart!

When we got tired of the problems, we traded up to a 2003 S500 which we thought would be better because it was more expensive. WRONG AGAIN! Another pile of crap. Not only did it have a mother of electrical issues, the fit and finish was awful! It needed new brake pads AND ROTORS every 5,000 miles. None of the GM vehicles I owned EVER needed brake pads while I owned them and some of them had over 50,000 miles and they still had factory brake pads when I either sold them or traded them in. The S500 was also a gas hog to boot and had a whole other slew of problems while we owned it and it was a new car like the CLK 430 was.

When we got tired of the S500's problems, we went with a 2004 ML500. That was the worst mistake we ever made!!!!! Not only did it need new brakes at 5,000 miles, the exterior trim pieces were discoloring on this factory new SUV. It was terrible. The problems we later had with it were just ridiculous and should never go wrong on a car at that price level. Little things to big things with Mercedes. Mercedes is purely a pile of junk and I would never go near an import again!

I am sticking with GM products as I did in the past. If it weren't for my wife, I would have always stuck with GM products and I would have saved myself all the headaches owning the Mercedes piles of junk.

While we had the 3 Mercedes vehicles, I still owned GM vehicles at the same time and I never had those problems or issues with my GM vehicles that I had with the Mercedes.

The STS-V was a simple choice to make, especially after driving it. It has as smoother ride, nicer interior, better fit and finish than the Mercedes that I owned. The power is very nice and perfect for everyday driving. If it wasn't for the STS-V, I would still have my CTS-V because it was also a very good car to me and never gave me any issues.

For the money, ease of maintenance or lack of needing maintenance, simplified design, comfort and always being patriotic, I am sticking not only to American products, but GM products. I don't like anything from Ford, never have and Chrysler, forget it!!! From 1994 to date, I think GM has come a long way and while they still need to go a long way, I am sure that in the next few years, we will all like what we see from GM qualitywise and stylewise.

SG

Playdrv4me
05-01-07, 12:28 PM
I was always a diehard GM fan because I feel that most of the products they make are better than average in all categories. From my experience buying GM products since 1994, I can honestly say that for the money, GM doesn't make bad vehicles and the maintenance costs are low and GM vehicles for the most part are easy to work on so if you are mechanically inclined to do, GM has a simplified design on their vehicles.

My wife wanted a change of pace a few years back so we first went with a 2002 Mercedes CLK 430. What a mistake that was. The quality was worse than anything GM could produce or anything I have had from the 20-30 GM vehicles I have owned over the last decade. I couldn't believe the things that would fall apart on this German pile. From the steering components, suspension components to the exterior and interior trim pieces. Everything would just fall apart!

When we got tired of the problems, we traded up to a 2003 S500 which we thought would be better because it was more expensive. WRONG AGAIN! Another pile of crap. Not only did it have a mother of electrical issues, the fit and finish was awful! It needed new brake pads AND ROTORS every 5,000 miles. None of the GM vehicles I owned EVER needed brake pads while I owned them and some of them had over 50,000 miles and they still had factory brake pads when I either sold them or traded them in. The S500 was also a gas hog to boot and had a whole other slew of problems while we owned it and it was a new car like the CLK 430 was.

When we got tired of the S500's problems, we went with a 2004 ML500. That was the worst mistake we ever made!!!!! Not only did it need new brakes at 5,000 miles, the exterior trim pieces were discoloring on this factory new SUV. It was terrible. The problems we later had with it were just ridiculous and should never go wrong on a car at that price level. Little things to big things with Mercedes. Mercedes is purely a pile of junk and I would never go near an import again!

I am sticking with GM products as I did in the past. If it weren't for my wife, I would have always stuck with GM products and I would have saved myself all the headaches owning the Mercedes piles of junk.

While we had the 3 Mercedes vehicles, I still owned GM vehicles at the same time and I never had those problems or issues with my GM vehicles that I had with the Mercedes.

The STS-V was a simple choice to make, especially after driving it. It has as smoother ride, nicer interior, better fit and finish than the Mercedes that I owned. The power is very nice and perfect for everyday driving. If it wasn't for the STS-V, I would still have my CTS-V because it was also a very good car to me and never gave me any issues.

For the money, ease of maintenance or lack of needing maintenance, simplified design, comfort and always being patriotic, I am sticking not only to American products, but GM products. I don't like anything from Ford, never have and Chrysler, forget it!!! From 1994 to date, I think GM has come a long way and while they still need to go a long way, I am sure that in the next few years, we will all like what we see from GM qualitywise and stylewise.

SG

Everyone will have different experiences with different brands and products. But I have to say, in this case your first mistake was going with Benz in their (admitted) WORST reliability period in history (ask any 1985-1997 MB owner, they love their cars), and on top of that you just happened to get two of the WORST vehicles they EVER produced... The 2000-2005 S Class (ALL of them) and the 1998-2005 ML were berated by the press from day one as unreliable piles of junk. I have had MB Sales advisors tell me they would steer their customers away from the bubble S Class because it was just such a monumental pile of dung. You could press the seat actuator buttons on the door on some models, and the Radio would turn on! The wiring was interconnected and very poorly thought out.

That was mainly just a case of really bad luck there!

I simply do not touch MB vehicles, but that is a matter of personal preference. The most reliable vehicles Ive ever owned have been BMW products. Ive owned a 1995 750iL, a 1999 328i that was WRECKED and poorly repaired before we got it (it was a cheapie cash car though), a 2000 740iL, a 2001 330i Sedan, and a 2004 330Ci Coupe. All of them, with the exception of the 328i which had problems associated with the poor repairs, and the 99 740 which was a little bit under my standards as far as reliability, were stellar cars.

In contrast, ALL of my Cadillacs, and mainly the Northstar cars, have needed continuous and occasionally expensive upkeep. I dont love them any less, but I certainly think there are design flaws which should have been addressed long ago with the engine, A/C and transmission systems. Not completely unlike Mercedes, theres alot of overcomplication where there doesnt need to be any. Even my Lincolns have been a little better from this perspective.

The irony is, that the Cadillacs, overall, are probably still my favorite cars that I have owned. That is over MB, the Lexuses Ive owned, my BMWs and other brands which I cant even remember.

Why? Its very simple. The Caddies simply provide bar-none, the best value for the dollar spent and a supreme amount of ride and comfort that can not be equalled by anything else on the market at the price points they are at. I looked at an STS V8 AWD 1SG NAV/HUD/ACC model, an 05, before I got my Escalade, and I could have snagged that car for 26k. This is a vehicle that retails for 64000.00 brand new, you just cant beat that with a stick. The Caddy has ALL the technology if not MORE than most of its competitors, with a distinctly american look and feel, and an unmatched bruteness to its V8 powerplant.

So in my opinion, for the price? You simply CANT beat the STS-V for its combination of features, POWER, and the whole overall package.

BTW... The general consensus on Audi's is they are even worse than MB. Id have to think long and hard before I actually bought an A8... and its one of my favorite cars. Id say Cadillac is ahead of Audi on repairs.

Da Dark Jedi
05-01-07, 12:39 PM
Thanks AERO1! Thats the kind of details I'm looking for. I know there are more out there. Come on let me hear from you. My wife wants to upgrade to Inifiniti, the M45 model. I think that Cadillac's STS-V series is a nice compromise for the two of us. I have a 97 Q45 never a problem, I'm not knockin it, I been leaning and looking at what Caddy has been doing.

Davidstan
05-01-07, 01:16 PM
I was reeled in by my salesman who called to let me know they were giving deep disc on the 2006's and this was last Oct. I had a cts v that i was happy with but tired of gear rowing in traffic. They gave me a good deal on my trade (and threw in chromies) after a test drive and i was sold. Best car all the way around i have ever had and i've owned 5 series, Jags etc. The refinement is dazzling everytime i drive it and when you put your right foot down it is like a rocket in a 4 door disguise. I now notice people doing double takes mostly of the front end w/ the supercharger hump in the hood. Gas mileage seems to be the same as the cts v and Ins was the same so all is well.

Playdrv4me
05-01-07, 01:16 PM
The M45 is a competitor to the STS. The STS-V would blow the M45 away.

z06bigbird
05-01-07, 03:00 PM
Aside from the positive comments above, I like the longer wheelbase (more comfort ride).

NC STS-V
05-01-07, 08:09 PM
I'm still not over the fact that they did their best to shoot down my Grandfather during WWII. Of course he was in a B-17 preparing to bomb the hell out of them...

I'm not sure there is a logical argument to buying American these days since the definition of a domestic car has become very blurry, but it just seems like the right thing to do.

:usflag:

GM is now making it a heck of a lot easier by building kick-ass cars like the STS-V. I think they got the combination of luxury and performance just right with the STS-V.

I didn't look at the M5, but from what I understand it is heavily weighted to the performance side and doesn't have the luxury features. While the sticker price is similar to the STS-V, I don't think BMW is discounting them like Cadi is the STS-V.

The MB AMG cars look like a great combination of performance and luxury, but I think they are also significantly more expensive than the STS-V.

Not really a fan of the Audi styling so I never even considered it...

Three months in I couldn't be happier with the STS-V!

Ron

ssstealth
05-01-07, 08:53 PM
Since your question was about Audi, I will have to tell you that was not even an option for me. The styling still looks like an upscale VW and they are completely invisible to me on the road.

Then you look and see that 331 horsepower will cost you over $120,000. I think anyone would take the BMW, Mercedes, or even a Jaguar before they spend that much for a completely uninspired car.

Another factor is that I have family members and coworkers that drive Audis and I have heard all sorts of horror stories about service costs and reliability.

dhemrick
05-01-07, 09:25 PM
[quote=ssstealth;1069008]Since your question was about Audi, I will have to tell you that was not even an option for me. The styling still looks like an upscale VW and they are completely invisible to me on the road.
quote]

I completely agree with this statement. I don't pay any attention to VWs on the road because they are very boring transportation appliances.

The Audi cars look so much like their VW analogs, that they are equally as boring and lack any type of excitement factor.

VW also owns the Seat (SAY-aht) motor company in Spain. I have spent a lot of time there, and being a car guy I naturally look at the local wares. I actually like Seat's versions of the VW cars better than Audi.

I must say that the A8 is a nice looking car, but to me it is still outclassed by the STS-V. It doesn't have the wow-factor that Cadillacs do (or even BMW or Mercedes for that matter). It is just a larger, nicer boring Volkswagen.

bcs296
05-01-07, 10:09 PM
In contrast, ALL of my Cadillacs, and mainly the Northstar cars, have needed continuous and occasionally expensive upkeep. I dont love them any less, but I certainly think there are design flaws which should have been addressed long ago with the engine, A/C and transmission systems. Not completely unlike Mercedes, theres alot of overcomplication where there doesnt need to be any. Even my Lincolns have been a little better from this perspective.

As you said, everyone has their own experiences and in some cases, very bad luck. Just as the original poster had bad luck with MB, you have had bad luck with Northstars.

In its defense, my family owned a 96 SLS until ~90k and still owns a 97 STS with 130k (that runs like a top) as well as an 02 STS with 62k. None of them have had any problems. Only "upkeep" has been oil changes at 3k, coolant changes, and a tune up (plugs/wires/filters) at 100k on the 97.

WillySTS
05-02-07, 12:05 AM
I chose the STS-V because, Audi's are expensive Vdubs, Benzes are expensive(for the horsepower models), Caddys have more actual luxury features than all of those car(I get a kick out of seeing them drive around with a cell phone to their ear,why don't they have Bluetooth?)...and lastlyit's the only one I could afford.

Davidstan
05-02-07, 09:07 AM
Just to add more .02 the value angle is my point. I'm not sure their is anything like it in the market at close to 500 hp w/ luxury. I just have a sense of more value with the caddy.

Kadonny
05-04-07, 07:25 AM
BTW... The general consensus on Audi's is they are even worse than MB. Id have to think long and hard before I actually bought an A8... and its one of my favorite cars. Id say Cadillac is ahead of Audi on repairs.

Whoa, let's get updated here please. The Audi of years and years ago was terrible in terms of both reliability and quality. They have done a 180 recently (last 7 years or so) and they are now putting out superb cars. They also pay for your maintenance, routine or not, it's included with the car.

I had a 2003 A6 2.7T (turbo) and ran that car hard.......real hard for over 3 years and it was the most reliable quality built car I had ever owned. I traded it in on my 06 CTS-V and went from no problems to a ton of problems. Audi is making a great looking car (IMO it looks sexy with the new grille design of 2 years ago) and their cars really have stepped up in quality. I know a guy who just bought an S8 and he loves it. this was a guy who had traded in his E55 for it.

Now as you know I traded my CTS-V for my STS-V 6 months ago because of all the problems I had with the CTS-V. I now could not be happier. I love the STS-V for the sheer power, refinement and the interior is stellar, even better than my Audi (but it has a 20k+ price tag over the Audi). Have I had problems with my STS-V? Nothing serious, just 2 minor issues. I love my V, don't get me wrong, it's a hell of car, but I still can love the Audi and I can still love the M5 :D . Hell I'm just a car guy.

It's all about the car. I wanted to get back to an American car with more grunt and muscle rather than the high revving turbo cars. In an upscale American car that can perform, Caddy is really your only option. For me that was not a problem since I have been a long time GM guy. I still own 2 other GM performance cars from a few years back. But some just won't drive American and that's why they go with the Germans or the Japanese. I say give me a car that has everything on it I want and I'll buy it, plain and simple. The STS-V gives me that.

JayS
05-04-07, 07:19 PM
Iwas(am) a long time Bmw fan.I Drive and Bangle style made me look else where.Friends that own Mercedes spend more time at dealer's shop than suits me.Audi/VW makes Mercedes look bullet proof.Ihave owned a 2001 M5 and a 2002 M3.Great cars but not as every day drivers.I also owned a V10 Tourege diesel.Like Audi great power train ,beautiful fit and finish.Iwas forever at the dealer with computer pribems ,cracked wood trim and $285 oil changes'After 1 year the V is bullet proof .I LOVE it

miacts-v
05-09-07, 12:56 AM
i bought my new STS-V on april 30th, prior to that week i was shopping in for a new car. At the time i was driving 2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray. i wanted to buy the new 08 BMW 535 that was coming out. i really don't know what is with BMW dealerships is it the salesman or what, they have attitude, act like bunch of rich snobs, basically bunch of as****es. sorry about that it's that i gave BMW 4 tries to buy there car's unfortunately no luck. At first they were giving me 18K for my trade in which sucked because i was going to be upside down on the loan, and then they weren't coming down on there price. And top of that the Salesman was really dissing the cts-v that i had. and the bmw would cost me close $1050/month for a lease, f**k that i left from there i called my friend at the Cadillac dealership he the GM there, i went there saw the sts-v test drove it within in 30 mins i was out of there, finished the paperwork and i picked the new car May 1st.