: I got a present from summit racing today...

fubar569
04-30-07, 06:27 PM
24ft of 2.5" tubing and 4ft of 3" tubing...

let the fun begin folks!

forming the 3" into my rectangle is about 15-20% complete, with a little under a foot of the 4ft section done. from here i will cut into sections and weld as appropriate to make my new crossover eliminator...the 2.5" is for the rest f the way back...will have an X pipe somewhere in there too...

oh i did eliminate the mufflers...now till complete is all stock with no cat, resonator, or mufflers and my god does she sound badass!!!

eldorado1
04-30-07, 06:32 PM
True duals then?

Remember- x pipes only work on equal length exhausts.

blackdog
04-30-07, 06:35 PM
keep us posted on how it woorks out. pics and audio would be fun too.

CadillacSTS42005
04-30-07, 06:36 PM
also how the heck are you going to fit an x pipe on that beast
my STS has more room underneath than the 97 Deville and i wouldnt even attempt that...

fubar569
04-30-07, 06:56 PM
also how the heck are you going to fit an x pipe on that beast
my STS has more room underneath than the 97 Deville and i wouldnt even attempt that...

very carefully is the plan...i know its very close quarters...plan is for dual 2.5" from front to back and out the tips...

i wasnt aware of the equal length thing...but i do know an X has a distinctive sound and that was what i was looking for...would an H be better suited or should i not bother and run them both individually straight back?

eldorado1
04-30-07, 07:03 PM
IMHO, best sound is equal lengths with an X.

CadillacSTS42005
04-30-07, 07:16 PM
imho stick with 3 inch all the way back
it sounds PLENTY nice, listen to mine...

99Classillac
04-30-07, 08:40 PM
Whats an x-pipe setup?

CadillacSTS42005
04-30-07, 08:44 PM
just what it sounds and what an x looks like...

fubar569
04-30-07, 10:33 PM
IMHO, best sound is equal lengths with an X.

my 02 GT had that setup...loved the sound with a pair of 40 series flowmasters...

i love the way yours sounds ETC, but im also going for more power (however probably very little) by eliminating that stock crossover pipe...the duals is a natural progression after that and the X pipe is a given. I am going to re-use the heatshields from my stock cat and probably enclose my X in that to form my new "cat" for PA Visual inspection Just incase my uncle decides to be a poopy head...the issue is going to be how to lengthen the back bank to the same as the front and then install the X section...i'm sure i'll get that one figured out when i start pulling it apart...

Oh, Pics of crosover eliminator in progress...

http://mysite.verizon.net/fubar569/pipes2.JPG

top is 3" pipe in process of getting the shit kicked out of it into a rectangle of roughly 1" by 4" Inner dimensions (might be larger - havent measured yet) - the middle is a (99%) completed section of rectangular pipe for crossover elimination - third object is the 1" square steel stock that i am beating the pipe around/onto/with/etc...makes an excellent ramrod...lol

this is a look down the (99%) completed rectangular pipe:

http://mysite.verizon.net/fubar569/pipes.JPG

danbuc
04-30-07, 10:46 PM
I was just thinking to myself...

If your planning on running a "true dual" setup, where's the second cat gonna go, and how are you going to integrate it into the emissions system? Or are you just gonna go catless, and run an O2 simulator?

Edit: Missed the "no cat" part of your first post.

fubar569
04-30-07, 11:02 PM
I was just thinking to myself...

If your planning on running a "true dual" setup, where's the second cat gonna go, and how are you going to integrate it into the emissions system? Or are you just gonna go catless, and run an O2 simulator?

Edit: Missed the "no cat" part of your first post.

second cat? there's only one underneath my car...and i've looked several times...only 1...and it's gonna be gone too...and i will be running an O2 sim from a LS1 camaro

danbuc
04-30-07, 11:08 PM
The reason I asked was if you were planning on keeping the cat, you would need two being that your running two separate pipes back to the car. Since your not running a cat, it's a non issue.

CadillacSTS42005
04-30-07, 11:13 PM
wow...
what are you gonna do use a hammer and blow torch to built and install this?
i mean i realize everyone doesnt have access to a pipe bender like i do, but you realize that if your looking to gain every bit of hp you can from this, the roughness inside the pipe with cause more turbulence as it exits the pipes and therefor your gains will be less...

eldorado1
04-30-07, 11:24 PM
http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrsteel2.phtml?page=rttube&LimAcc=$LimAcc

fubar569
04-30-07, 11:39 PM
wow...
what are you gonna do use a hammer and blow torch to built and install this?
i mean i realize everyone doesnt have access to a pipe bender like i do, but you realize that if your looking to gain every bit of hp you can from this, the roughness inside the pipe with cause more turbulence as it exits the pipes and therefor your gains will be less...

a pipe bender is nice, but in my eyes if its not a mandrel bender it's about as bad as what im doing by using torches/welder/hammer/voodoo magic to shape the pipe myself...there will be more turbulence yes, but overall a great reduction in restriction will be obtained...will it be the 100% maximum possible? probably not and therefore on that point you are correct...

the rest of the system will be welded together using mandrel bends, etc and whatnot to obtain a full true 2.5" from fron to back...no pressbends, or any other restrictions...

eldorado1, thanks for that link...however 2" is a little tall for what im doing...i'm trying to keep ground clearance losses to an absolute minimum while providing a decent flow increase...what im doing with the tubing at just under 1.25in OD is still sacrificing quite a bit after wrapping the pipe and spacing it a hair away from the pan...

fubar569
04-30-07, 11:41 PM
The reason I asked was if you were planning on keeping the cat, you would need two being that your running two separate pipes back to the car. Since your not running a cat, it's a non issue.

ahhh...my bad...lol
yeah...going catless...gotta order the O2 sim before inspection though...so no CEL comes on

EcSTSatic
05-01-07, 01:01 PM
Have you researched this carefully? Understand the guiding principles of X and H pipe? Know why exhaust is always smooth and round to optimize the Bernoulli principle?

I think you may actually lose power and be loud to boot. :canttalk:

CadillacSTS42005
05-01-07, 09:18 PM
hence why i made my previous comment....

fubar569
05-01-07, 09:49 PM
i found an exceptionally cheap source of mandrel 180 bends in 2.5" size...
i will be placing an order with them as they also have flex sections and whatnot at retardedly cheap pricing... i will have to order in 2 batches and as a result cant begin to install the exhaust for 2 more weeks...

however...i did complete a portion of the crossover, along with the front manifold transition piece. i have yet to neck the 3" end down to 2.5" but i plan to slit the sides of the pipe and take it down to 2.5" and then upto the stock manifold in the front...so it will look like this....

front manifold to 2.5" tubing to a transition and roughly 1.1" x 4" rectangular pipe under pan and transitioning back to 2.5"...rear manifold to 2.5" tubing and lengthened to match front manifold exhaust length...both of these will have a flex section then flow into an X pipe and then follow the stock route in dual 2.5" all the way out the tips with dynomax race bullets for mufflers...

im also porting/shortenign the runners of the intake manifold at the same time and HOPE to have the bored tb and spacer to install at the same time as everything else, but odds are the exhaust will be finished first, followed by a dragstrip trip and then the ported intake/bored TB & spacer/custom airbox...

eldorado1
05-01-07, 10:46 PM
Your car's going to be a mess without proper tuning

fubar569
05-01-07, 11:20 PM
Your car's going to be a mess without proper tuning

which is what i figured and as soon as i read your post it may have me hold off on the ported/shortened intake itself until i can round up the money for a XFC piggyback so i can at least adjust the fuel maps to compensate for the mods...spark however you really cant do much with...

i think the car will be fine with the new exhaust, TB/spacer, and a custom airbox on stock PCM...

thanks for making me step back for a minute on that intake...it will need something to adjust the fuel maps to compensate considering 1.5" of runner length is gone so far and i havent really ported the actual runners out yet...

fubar569
05-09-07, 07:46 PM
I placed an order for the (4) 180deg bends i need to finish the back section of the exhaust tonight...should have a total and items shipped by friday and here monday-ish so i can get back to work on it...

crossover pipe is about ready to go...it's very smooth inside and out supprisingly given what i had to work with. i just have to neck one end down to 2.5" and then down to the stock mounting flange and i need to prep the other side for transition to the 2.5" that will be making up the rest of the system. i havent yet figured out how to lengthen the rear bank to match the front bank and likely wont know how much i'd need to lengthen it till the new crossover is mounted on the car. i likely would need to make a full 360 bend to get the needed length to match...that will make it complicated to say the least...

intake work has made no progress...i should have my rifle and computer sold so i will be able to get the bored TB and spacer plate from RVM plus 2 exhaust flex sections from mandrel bending solutions and see if the same company will bend me an exceptionally tight radius set of 180's to make my rear bank section...

i might be moving to pittsburgh...argh...so i will need to install cats sometime within the next 12 months...boo for emissions.....my EGR and everything else will still be functional so once the bullet cats are welded in i should be good to go...

all in all the project is progressing nicely, and hopefully i will be able to make another trip to the dragstrip soon...

msta293412
05-15-07, 10:48 AM
Just a note...I lost power with a flow-through cat, along with 3" piping.....put stock cat back on ....and I recovered torque.