: SRX All Wheel Drive handling opinions

04-30-07, 05:13 PM
Hi, I'm Dimitri, I'm new here and I don't own a Cadillac yet but will seriously consider the 2008 CTS with AWD. From what I read it appears they'll provide the same AWD setup on the new CTS as the one used in the SRX, which is all open differentials with the stability control taking care of torque biasing by braking (and throttle management). We have a lot of snow here in winter (I live in Moscow) and I only drive AWD cars, so I'm trying to figure out how well the SRX AWD setup handles in slippery conditions, as I doubt I'll have the opportunity to test drive one in all conditions I'd like since test drive options here are usually extremely limited.

I'd much appreciate any insights in regard to this.
* How well does it go in snow/ice, in general? Is it fun?
* Is there any torque steer at the front wheels?
* Isn't throttle management and/or braking action of the stability control overly intrusive?
* How does it steer in snow - i.e. predictable, progressive, intuitive? any significant understeer or tail happiness?
* Any specific issues with the AWD system?

Many thanks to everyone who could shed some light on these questions.

john d
04-30-07, 11:01 PM
Not been in the snow but the traction on rain soaked slick surfaces (worn concrete or blacktop) is just simply astounding ..... had NO spinning at all from rapid takeoffs due to oncoming traffic. That's even turning while accelerating from a dead stop!
Have stopped on loose gravel shoulders and had no wheel spin while gingerly pulling back on road.
04 SRX V8 Northstar awd.

Northern SRX
05-02-07, 04:08 AM
Hi, I'm Dimitri, I'm new here and I don't own a Cadillac yet but will seriously consider the 2008 CTS with AWD. From what I read it appears they'll provide the same AWD setup on the new CTS as the one used in the SRX, which is all open differentials with the stability control taking care of torque biasing by braking (and throttle management). We have a lot of snow here in winter (I live in Moscow) and I only drive AWD cars, so I'm trying to figure out how well the SRX AWD setup handles in slippery conditions, as I doubt I'll have the opportunity to test drive one in all conditions I'd like since test drive options here are usually extremely limited.

I'd much appreciate any insights in regard to this.
* How well does it go in snow/ice, in general? Is it fun?
* Is there any torque steer at the front wheels?
* Isn't throttle management and/or braking action of the stability control overly intrusive?
* How does it steer in snow - i.e. predictable, progressive, intuitive? any significant understeer or tail happiness?
* Any specific issues with the AWD system?

Many thanks to everyone who could shed some light on these questions.

I live in Ottawa, Canada and, while we don't get a lot of snow, we get our fair share. What we do get is a lot of ice and extremely cold weather (-25C is not all that rare). What I can say about winter driving in the SRX, is that it matters what tires you use in the winter - the OEM all seasons are ineffective in extremely cold conditions. Once I switch to a set of Nokians for the winter, the SRX was superb in ice and snow: very confidence-inspiring in turning, steering, and starts - no tail-wagging (although you can indeed force some if you want to... :rolleyes: ).

The AWD set-up is not very intrusive at all, except when you start pushing the limits and the system detects lateral slippage - but the intrusions are not dangerous, they're just pointed reminders that you need to slow down. So, the bias - at least in those situations - is toward safety, not fun. Works for me in the SRX. Because of its smaller mass, the dynamics of the CTS would be different and I suspect that the limits would be more generous.

I suspect that this AWD set-up contributes to how these cars tend to chew through their brakes but that would be the only drawback that I've yet encountered - and this is just my suspicion, others may have better theories on that front.

Good luck with your choice.

jmayhew
05-03-07, 09:18 AM
I live in Pittsburgh PA, so we get a decent amout of snow & ice...not like you of course...lol

anyway....my opinion is that as long as you don't drive like an a$$ & think you're invincible in a AWD vehicle your fine.

tires of course will make a difference....we use the OEM goodyears this past winter & they did fine.

i there is no trq. steer that i noticed....it anything its more tail happy with the goodyears. probably with some snow tires it would stay pretty planted.

as far as steering its pretty predictable... if your on the throttle & turning its prone to tail happyness....if you're breaking its more prone to push/understeer.

i think it the end you'll be happy with either...just base your decision on if you want a 4dr sedan or a wagon/suv

05-03-07, 03:39 PM
Thanks for thoughtful reviews, guys. People here will almost universally put on studded tires in winter, they ensure superb grip and braking on ice, although the current trend particularly in Moscow is to flush streets with chemicals that melt things down. Nevertheless besides obvious safety benefits due to better stability I prefer AWD cars also for the fun factor. I'm kind of spoiled by the Audi quattro-based AWD Passat with a torque sensing center differential, it was really happy to be driven in adverse conditions when I owned it, but I recently switched to Volvo S60 AWD and it's quite vague and boring despite an excellent torquey engine. Hence am thinking of buying a more sporty car but also would like to still try to stand apart from the usual Audi/BMW/Benz crowd - therefore I will be choosing between Infiniti and the new CTS, they seem to be much better value and I really like the new CTS's looks and interioir, judging by the photos, of course. It is very refined, muscular and erm.. Classical American. My concern was that the AWD set-up was a kind of afterthought at GM (BMW abandoned the same set-up in the new 3-ers in favour of a more sophisticated system). That could potentially lead to torque steer and/or suboptimal stability/toque management program (I've driven some RWD Benzes that have their ESP programs make you feel like you hit a wall on your side once you just start to slip - excruciatingly intrusive!). But from what I read here it's all right. I will surely also try to test drive an SRX or the new AWD CTS in winter. BTW, I like the SRX as well, but it's way out my budget.