: Rattle From Steering Column

corvette00
04-30-07, 09:32 AM
Has anyone noticed a rattle in their steering column when they go over bumps? There is a TSB on this item (#1867226) that involves placing epoxy on the in bolster bracket. I am wondering if this fix actually works, or if the epoxy just leaves an odor in your vehicle.

embassy
06-02-07, 12:46 AM
I have the same rattle on my new 07. Started about 6 days after getting the vehicle. Only happens when I drive over "sharp" bumps. I have to cross three bridges each way to and from work and each metal joint in the bridge deck sets the rattle off. Sounds like loose metal.

Was planning on taking the vehicle in next week to the dealer and getting it fixed. My 04 CTS had a similiar rattle, but it was random and the dealer could never fix it. Really annoying.

sweetdivel
06-07-07, 05:34 AM
hi
i sent my car to the dealer for that issue too. and they told me that they have changed some part in the the left and right arms. it reduced that rattle alot but still excists.

corvette00
06-07-07, 08:49 AM
There is a TSB #1867226 for 06-07 STS that claims this condition mat be caused by the knee bolster bracket going into resonance. The bulletin fix is epoxy the entire periphery of the bracket where the hoops are welded to the plate. I think a small piece of cardboard slid between the bracket and the plate may also do the trick without the epoxy odor. I am going to try this when my rattle starts again

embassy
06-07-07, 05:11 PM
My car is in the shop as I write getting it fixed. The rattle has become much more frequent in the last couple of days. At least I could duplicate it in the shop by banging my hand against the panel under the steering column.

ijsegurola
06-07-07, 08:40 PM
I had this problem within the first 3 months of having the car....they told me it was some part in the tilt column mechanism....fixed and no problem since..

embassy
06-08-07, 01:35 PM
Just got my car back from the shop. The repair order was fairly detailed. Said that they couldn't determine the problem and that it was turned over to the road foreman. Road tested, searched bulletins, and found one that said to epoxy the knee bolster bracket. Completed and re-road tested.

I am now satisfied, although I can now hear a rattle and squeak coming from the rear seat area. Couldn't hear it before over the rattle from the steering column.

Aurora5000
06-11-07, 10:37 AM
You may just have to re-seat your rear seat. (no pun intended). Check around the fuse blocks.

z06bigbird
06-14-07, 11:52 AM
We got rid of all of our rattles when kids turned 2.