: Dipstick Color?

john d
04-29-07, 01:30 PM
What color is the bullet on the end of the SRX N* oil dipstick?

n7don_srx
05-01-07, 11:31 AM
What color is the bullet on the end of the SRX N* oil dipstick?

Can't specifically answer for the N*. The '07 3.6l engine does not have a bullet. My '03 Envoy's is yellow. Plus the dipstick end on both vehicles is yellow. Seems like I recall yellow is the adopted convention color for oil. Do you have reason to believe yours is wrong or missing?

john d
05-01-07, 05:27 PM
I thought the oil level end of the dipstick was aluminum in color. Now at 20,000 miles it's black. Looks like it's painted. Could this be a varnish deposit from Mobil 1 or was the tip black from the beginning? The steel cable the tip is attached to still shines and looks clean.
I tried lacquor thinner, wd40, brake-kleen, air throttle body cleaner and the black won't come off.

dkozloski
05-01-07, 05:40 PM
Attention NBS! We have a new standard for anal! The spit shined dipstick.

n7don_srx
05-01-07, 07:08 PM
I thought the oil level end of the dipstick was aluminum in color. Now at 20,000 miles it's black. Looks like it's painted. Could this be a varnish deposit from Mobil 1 or was the tip black from the beginning? The steel cable the tip is attached to still shines and looks clean.
I tried lacquor thinner, wd40, brake-kleen, air throttle body cleaner and the black won't come off.

It's highly unlikely Mobil 1 is leaving a deposit. I've used this oil in several vehicles over the past several years. No dipstick has changed color. By nature the dipsticks were dark colored but I wouldn't described them as black. Also if it were leaving a deposit, logic would suggest the cable would show discoloration too.

dkozloski
05-01-07, 11:00 PM
FWIW. The bullet on the end of the dipstick of my new STS Northstar V8 with 1625 miles is darker than the cable and appears to have a phosphate finish similar to the Parkerizing seen on military weapons.

dkozloski
05-02-07, 12:23 AM
My guess is that the phosphate coating is there to make it easier to determine the oil level on the stick.

z06bigbird
05-03-07, 11:07 AM
brown on sdv