: Ok now This is getting CRAZY N* Problem

Eldobroken
04-28-07, 10:45 PM
Ok guys new thread long story short 3 new sets of Coil modules 2000 ETC. I ran 2#8 grounds to engine block and thought it was over but it not.:thepan:
The Middle spring which makes contect with the engine block and according to caddy mechanics its a ground is burning up. The spring is melting the plastic around it so somehow its getting really hot. I am stuck here only thing I can think of is that mabye the comp is bad and overvolting the living hell out of it. Car goes dead from melted plastic loosing the connection. Any help would be greatly appriciated as this is driving me friggin crazy. BTW the motor is not overheating at all so thats not the problem. Thanks guys.

Eldobroken
04-28-07, 10:47 PM
I will post some pics tommorow of burnt up coil module spring. as camera battery is dead also

custom-uniforms
05-05-07, 12:41 AM
I think you said your original problem was your car was stalling ?

Rather than changing your coils one by one did they ever tell you to go to a wrecker and get a whole new coil pack with all 8 coils, the ignition module and a new ground wire for around $50.00.

If a Cadillac stalls for no reason invest $5.00 in throttle body cleaner. You can take off the air cleaner box and spray right inside the air intake reving the ingine high by hand so it does not stall and the other half a bottle spray right in to the PCV valve with the suction while reving it high to remove carbon deposits. You migth notice black smake and the smell of rotten eggs.

My 1999 Deville was stalling every day last week but it is now fixed. I changed the fuel filter, changed the two crankcase position sensors and changed the vehicle speed sensor and then it stalled again meaning I waisted $300.00.

It turns out the diagnostic codes refering to these sensors were set as a result of the stall condition not the cause of the stall. Next I was ready to move on to the ignition control module and coils and then replace the fuel pump then I suddenly remebered a 1994 STS I had years ago. It also stalled for no apparent reason and the final fix was a dealer carbon clean and the stalling stopped.

I did not want to spend the $100.00 for the carbon clean at the dealer so I sprayed a bottle of throttle body cleaner in to the air intake and in the PCV valve and the problem was solved. It has not stalled for a week and the fix cost $5.00. A carbon clean also restores your O2 sensors, cleans your catalytic converter and cleans your fuel injectors. It's like driving a new car.

Please give a carbon clean a try and let me know if your car stops stalling.

AJxtcman
05-05-07, 08:49 AM
Rear coil cassette?
Front coil cassette?
It is the rear correct?

AJxtcman
05-05-07, 09:06 AM
Is this the same car as the one that runs fine and then dies?
Eldo's do not have the same ground problems that the Devilles and the Sevilles have.
Do you Know what the spring is for?
2000 to 2003
Ignition Coils/Modules
Ignition Coil/ICM Assembly
Each ignition control module (ICM) has the following circuits:

An ignition 1 voltage circuit
A chassis ground
An ignition control circuit for each cylinder
A low reference circuit
The PCM controls spark by pulsing the ignition control circuits to the ICM to trigger the coils and fire the spark plugs. The PCM and ICM are internally protected against shorts to power and ground on the ignition control circuits.

The electronic ignition system uses an individual ignition coil for each cylinder. There are two separate ignition module assemblies located in the camshaft cover of each cylinder bank. Each ignition module assembly contains an ignition control module and four ignition coils. Each ignition coil connects directly to a spark plug using a boot. This arrangement eliminates the need for secondary ignition wires. The ignition module assemblies receive power from a fused ignition feed. Both ignition module assemblies connect to chassis ground. A Reference Low and four ignition control (IC) circuits connect each ignition module assembly to the PCM. The PCM uses the individual IC circuits to control coil sequencing and spark timing for each ignition coil. The IC circuits transmit timing pulses from the PCM to the ignition control module to trigger the ignition coil and fire the spark plug. The PCM controls ignition system sequencing and timing events.

This ignition system produces very high energy to fire the spark plug. There is no energy loss because of ignition wire resistance, or the resistance of the waste spark system. Also, since the firing is sequential, each coil has seven ignition events to saturate as opposed to the three in a waste spark arrangement.

Noteworthy Ignition Information
There are important considerations to point out when servicing the ignition system. The following Noteworthy Information will list some of these, to help the technician in servicing the ignition system.

The ignition coils secondary voltage output capabilities are very high - more than 40,000 volts. Avoid body contact with ignition high voltage secondary components when the engine is running, or personal injury may result!
Crankshaft position sensor clearance is very important! The sensor must not contact the reluctor wheel at any time, or sensor damage will result. If the reluctor wheel contacts the sensor(s), destruction of the sensor(s) will occur. Also, an improperly installed CKP / CMP sensor will change the air gap between the sensor and the reluctor. This may result in setting a DTC.
Ignition timing is not adjustable. There are no timing marks on the crankshaft pulley.
If a boot remains attached to a coil or spark plug, twist the boot prior to removal using the correct tool. Do not use pliers, screwdrivers, or any unauthorized tools to remove the boot.
Check the boot for a missing or damaged internal spring.
Do not re-install any component that has visible signs of damage.
Install the boots onto the coils (until bottomed out). Then install the assembly onto the spark plugs. If this is not possible due to space limitations, just-start the boots onto the spark plugs and then install the coil assembly as straight down onto the plugs as possible.
Ensure the boots are installed right side up.
Repair a torn perimeter seal with RTV sealant.
Adhere to the torque specifications when installing the cassette to the cam cover and the module to the cassette.
Reference Low Circuits
The reference low circuits provide a common ground between the PCM, and the ignition control modules. These circuits reduce the electrical ground shifts that may occur between the PCM and the ignition control modules. A malfunction in the reference low circuits may cause a poor driveability condition.

AJxtcman
05-05-07, 09:25 AM
:banana:
The spring is used to stop the secondary ignition from back feeding into the IGN module.
That would be 40,000 volt into the IGN module and then back into the PCM.

If the spring is damaged the most likely problem is the spark plugs.
If you tell me they are BOSCH you deserve it

If they are the correct OEM spark plugs then they are worn out.
It is just too high of resistance in the secondary circuits.:banghead: