: Bad set of Goodyear 18's

Kauai 1
04-28-07, 07:24 PM
I just purchased a set of Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge tires for my '04 V8 RWD. 235/60's for the front, 255/55's for the rear. Tried them on the Interstate; terrible shake developed @ 55 and became worse at 76.
Back to Discount Tire. All four checked (road force test), and three were BAD! Three replacements have been ordered; if they are bad as well, adios Goodyear!

The strike at Goodyear may be a factor. Two tires were manufactured immediately prior to the strike, and the other two close to the strike's end. Still, there is no excuse for this!

I will keep you informed..........

airbalancer
04-29-07, 08:11 AM
Maybe they were not installed correctly?

MortnCyn
04-29-07, 08:20 AM
The two Goodyear fronts were replaced on our '04 (V-6 17") at 9,000 miles. They could not force balance them.

Kauai 1
04-29-07, 06:21 PM
In response to airbalancer, they are installed as perfectly as possible, with the tires on the optimum positions on the wheels, per the road force test. After adjusting several times, the bad tires do not meet specs. And, another road test reflects strong shaking. It IS a tire problem!

z06bigbird
05-03-07, 11:21 AM
Hopefully, you have had good luck with D T like I have. Great company

Kauai 1
05-03-07, 01:06 PM
I got the replacement Goodyears; they were road-force tested with the tire placements on the wheels being optimized. Took a test run on smooth interstate, and the vibration started at 55 again, and really got bad at 76.
Enough is enough with the Goodyears; I ordered OEM Michelins! At least they do not create harsh vibrations. The Goodyears have a 30-day money-back guarantee, so no loss except for time spent.

Yes, Discount Tire has been great, with excellent service. I can recommend them!

King3244
05-05-07, 09:17 PM
Good?year............more like good luck.

HiTechOilCo
05-09-07, 01:18 AM
I got the replacement Goodyears; they were road-force tested with the tire placements on the wheels being optimized. Took a test run on smooth interstate, and the vibration started at 55 again, and really got bad at 76.
Enough is enough with the Goodyears; I ordered OEM Michelins! At least they do not create harsh vibrations. The Goodyears have a 30-day money-back guarantee, so no loss except for time spent.

Yes, Discount Tire has been great, with excellent service. I can recommend them!

If I may offer some assistance here. I have over 20 years experience in the tire business and it is very, very unlikely to have two different sets of tires be defective in some way. I think it is much more likely that there is another problem, like the tire balancing machine being out of calibration, which is very common. Computer spin balance machines need to be recalibrated fairly often and I have yet to see any auto center, (aside from my own), that does this often enough. I have seen this Road Force machine and I am really not impressed with it. If you have a decent quality computer spin balance machine and an experienced eye to watch for out of round issues, you can mount and balance a tire properly.

Also, the Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge are a very new and unique tire with a particularly stiff sidewall on the outer sidewall of the tire. If the tire is not properly mounted, (which differs from older design tires), it will vibrate even if it is properly balanced. Also, subsequently the Road Force machine would mis-diagnose the tire as defective. :( You have chosen a very fine tire that incorporates many leading edge technologies in its design. I'd hate to see you be left with the impression that there was a problem with the tires when in actuality it could be an operator error on the part of the technicians mounted and balancing them, not being familiar with this new tire design.

Were the tires ever broken down and spun 180 deg. on the wheel and then reinflated and rebalanced, to try and diagnose the problem, or was only the machine trusted? Were the tires ever rotated front to rear and rear to front, with the vehicle then being test driven again? Were the wheels ever checked with a radial run out gauge?

Kauai 1
05-14-07, 04:45 PM
Sorry, HiTechOilCo, but it was the Goodyears. The original set was spin-balanced, and the car shook badly; then the road force testing was done, tires moved 180 degrees on the wheels, etc., etc., and still the shake, although somewhat different. Second set was no better, and even at low speeds there were some strange sensations.

Now the Michelins are installed, and NO SHAKE!

Yes, I know that the Eagle ResponsEdge is a new, high tech tire. I suspect that Goodyear should have suspended production of it (especially larger sizes) during the strike. I had great expectations for it after reading various reports. Anyway, adios Goodyear; the Michelins work!

GMJim
05-14-07, 08:24 PM
I will never run Goodyears again. Replaced them with Michelins at 15K on my 04. Drove them till I traded it in at 65K.

EKaru
05-20-07, 09:45 AM
I was looking to buy a set of the Goodyears based on the survey results below... maybe I should reconsider?

http://i9.tinypic.com/4p14tj5.jpg

guitarbob
05-22-07, 03:27 PM
I have a 2004 V-6 AWD with the original Goodyear Eagle RSA 17" tires on it and I have not had one bit of trouble with them. They have been excellent tires for me and I now have about 32,000 miles on them, which seems to be more than average. I am going to replace these tires in the next few weeks and I will get exactly the same ones when I do. As I said, I have had no problems and I have no complaints about them at all.
Good Luck!

b4z
05-23-07, 08:30 AM
guitarbob and others,
You may want to seriously consider the Continental Cross Contact LX.
They are significantly cheaper than the Goodyear RSA that came with the car.
I thought the RSAs were a good tire except in the rain they would sometimes spin at a stoplight. My intial thoughts on the Continentals were that they rode harder but after a couple of days they settled down.
i would recommend these to anybody who wants to replace the RSAs with something a little less expensive.

b4z
05-23-07, 08:53 AM
guitarbob and others,
You may want to seriously conside the Continental Cross Contact LX.
About $160 cheaper per set at TireRack.
I initiall thought they rode harder but they settled down after a couple of days.
I am very happy with the choice to replace the RSAs.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/103754-continental-cross-contact-lx.html

mjk
05-23-07, 09:37 AM
I will never run Goodyears again. Replaced them with Michelins at 15K on my 04. Drove them till I traded it in at 65K.

you're not buying American Jim? :tisk: Just teasn':bouncy:

GMJim
05-23-07, 11:37 AM
you're not buying American Jim? :tisk: Just teasn':bouncy:

Uhhhh.............Ummm.......................Ahhhh ................hmmmm............geeze!

Only tires & TV's............... U busted my red, white, and blue tail!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSS
05-23-07, 12:24 PM
Uhhhh.............Ummm.......................Ahhhh ................hmmmm............geeze!

Only tires & TV's............... U busted my red, white, and blue tail!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too. Guilty as charged............