: N* Oil Cooler And/or Tranny Cooler

C170B
04-28-07, 03:16 PM
1994 N* 4.6 L.

Does it have an Oil Cooler? Location? What provides the cooling?

I know the 4T80E transmission is just about bullet proof . I have 175K and it has never missed a shift. The normals trans cooler lines route through the coolant radiator. Has anyone any knowlege of adding an aux trans cooler for the N*. (i.e. Extended mountain driving at high speed) ?

regards

codewize
04-28-07, 04:04 PM
LOL They're only bullet proof if it's not mine. I have the ONE single unit that failed very prematurely. Just my luck I guess.

I asked my trans guy about cooling and he told me that he felt they were very adequately cooled. He also said he's never seen one with heat related damage.

Does that help?

lisekpl
04-28-07, 04:14 PM
I concur, don't fix what's not broke. I was also told that even for heavy duty applications, the cooling is sufficient.

JMWarren
04-28-07, 05:14 PM
Some of the 90's devilles had a towing package that included an auxiliary trans cooler if I'm not mistaken. You might be able to adapt this part to work on your car...

Eldobroken
04-28-07, 11:50 PM
LOL They're only bullet proof if it's not mine. I have the ONE single unit that failed very prematurely. Just my luck I guess.

I asked my trans guy about cooling and he told me that he felt they were very adequately cooled. He also said he's never seen one with heat related damage.

Does that help?
LOL mine too at 80k and it was maintained. The internal coupler that holds the shaft broke and wasted every seal i put in. $3500 later its great. Well the tranny is:thepan:

Mountie
04-29-07, 12:15 AM
1994 N* 4.6 L.

Does it have an Oil Cooler? Location? What provides the cooling?

I know the 4T80E transmission is just about bullet proof . I have 175K and it has never missed a shift. The normals trans cooler lines route through the coolant radiator. Has anyone any knowlege of adding an aux trans cooler for the N*. (i.e. Extended mountain driving at high speed) ?

regards

I replaced my oil cooler with a cooler 3 times the capacity, as the OEM. The stock oil cooler is a joke. I got the same brand so it would mount at the same location. As I am sitting here, I can't remember the brand but it is common. I can say, it has a rounded edge, and about an inch wider.

I changed my oil today & it took 8 quarts, due to the larger oil cooler.

( note)..... Be sure to fill the oil filter with oil before installing to avoid that lag in oil pressure at the first start. The filter will take 3/4 of a quart.