: fuel pump noise on STS-V

toothgod
04-27-07, 10:35 PM
I hear a really high pitched sound outside my car when i approach it with the key fob, i am told it is the Bosch fuel pump, super annoying sound. Does everyone else hear it on their V's? Can it be stopped?

GM-4-LIFE
04-28-07, 02:56 AM
Mine doesn't do it. Take it into the dealer and see what they find. That should not do that unless you start the car with your key fob and the car is running. Did you mean that the car is running? If so, there should be a very slight high pitch whine from the supercharger and the fuel pump.

SG

ewill3rd
04-28-07, 08:57 AM
When you open the door, the pump will prime the fuel system.
It is normal.
If you want to stop the fuel pump you can always pull the fuse, but you won't go far. ;) :D
(sorry for the sarcasm)

It should only run for a few seconds and then shut off until you start the car.

thefred
04-28-07, 03:52 PM
I hear a really high pitched sound outside my car when i approach it with the key fob, i am told it is the Bosch fuel pump, super annoying sound. Does everyone else hear it on their V's? Can it be stopped?

I definitely have it. Its annoying as hell. I thought it was as you exit the car after you leave because I hear it in my garage at home after I get out of the car. I'll have to pay more attention on the way into the car and see if it does it then. But, I don't have any idea what it is.

z06bigbird
04-29-07, 04:47 PM
Sound you might hear after parking car is auto level system. Fuel pump should be no louder than that.

caddycruiser
05-01-07, 07:15 PM
I definitely have it. Its annoying as hell. I thought it was as you exit the car after you leave because I hear it in my garage at home after I get out of the car. I'll have to pay more attention on the way into the car and see if it does it then. But, I don't have any idea what it is.

After the car is parked, off, and you're getting out, that's not the fuel pump. As was just mentioned, could very likely be the air compressor, however.

NC STS-V
05-01-07, 08:39 PM
I also hear the high pitched whine in the garage when I get out of the car. It's annoying, but not enough for me to try and find the source.

I'd be curious to know what it is if one of y'all figure it out.

Davidstan
05-01-07, 08:47 PM
I also hear the high pitched whine in the garage when I get out of the car. It's annoying, but not enough for me to try and find the source.

I'd be curious to know what it is if one of y'all figure it out.

ewill3rd?

ewill3rd
05-01-07, 09:35 PM
I have 2 STS in the shop, I'll see if I notice it but I am so busy right now I might forget.
It might be the fuel pump again, not sure why.

Imperator
09-14-07, 08:12 PM
I've noticed the same sound from my car when parked in the garage. You must have super-sensitive hearing as it's a VERY high pitched sound. It seems to be coming from the front of the car and is likely related to the RAP circuit--it seems to be some electrical-related whine/hum similar to what was common with older HID lighting ballasts. I wouldn't worry about this at all--it appears to be normal. To confirm, is the RAP available for ten minutes after engine-off?

Now I'm also noticing a louder whine from INSIDE the car only when the engine is running. It sounds very similar to the whine of an electric motor (fuel pump) but I can't locate the source. The funny thing is that it can only be replicated on COLD starts. I can shut the engine down and actually listen to the "whirring" of the motor spin down. The whining noise does not repeat on restart. This noise can NOT be replicated by an KOEO (Key On, Engine Off) condition and I don't hear this as I approach the car, making me think it's something other than a fuel pump. Maybe some sort of emissions control? It actually sounds louder inside the car than out.

WillySTS
09-14-07, 09:54 PM
Sound you might hear after parking car is auto level system. Fuel pump should be no louder than that.
The STS-V does not have a leveling system. It's shocks aren't even electronic. They are straight high performance shocks made by SACHS. There are no level sensors or air bags in the springs or an air compressor.

z06bigbird
09-14-07, 11:50 PM
The STS-V does not have a leveling system. It's shocks aren't even electronic. They are straight high performance shocks made by SACHS. There are no level sensors or air bags in the springs or an air compressor.

I learn something everyday (almost). That does not mean I will remember it.

z06bigbird
09-14-07, 11:51 PM
Best solution I can come up with is 2 cotton balls.

Kadonny
09-17-07, 09:29 AM
Its the key fob. As soon as walk up to the car with the fob and pull the door handle, the pitched noise starts. The noise stays untill I walk away from the car (with the fob) and it locks itself. I think it's just the car receiving the signal from the fob and/ or the locking/security system.

That's just my opinion. As long as I have a door open or the trunk open, I hear the noise. As soon as I close the trunk or close the door and the car auto locks, the noise stops. I think it is a designed feature, not a problem.

thefred
09-17-07, 09:32 AM
I agree that the sound is a little annoying. But, its better than the alternative..see "Won't Start" thread....

1fstkde
09-17-07, 04:11 PM
man you guys must have your hearing aids turned way up!!! :hide: i cant hear crap!!

Kadonny
09-17-07, 06:12 PM
It's a super high pitchedl noise. I still believe it's the car sending out a signal for the fob. That's my story and I'm stickin with it.

WillySTS
09-18-07, 02:14 PM
man you guys must have your hearing aids turned way up!!! :hide: i cant hear crap!!
:werd:

dhemrick
09-18-07, 10:07 PM
Gee... THANKS guys! I never heard it before and now I hear it every time! My ears ring all the time so I had just tuned it out I suppose, but now I can't help but hear it when the car is in the garage. Kind of weird for a car to make that noise.

bobs-sts-v
09-19-07, 12:11 AM
Not as unusual as you think. My other cars make similar - if not identical - noises. The Jaguar "purrs" at me at shut down or when you turn the key but don't start the car (radio obviously off to hear this). Also related to the security system. The new MB also has a high pitch whine, but not as perceptable as the Cadillac. Wife used to complain about the "funny noise" my car made until the doors locked, but now hers does it too!! Both the Caddy and the MB have the keyless entry and start, so I just figure it is the car talking to the fob.

Bob

Kadonny
09-19-07, 11:09 AM
See, I was right. I am a genius!