: Fan Clutch Dilemma

davedbusman
04-27-07, 06:41 PM
I have a 305 Chevy with TBI in the Brougham. The water pump turns CCW. Can I put a CW fan clutch in from an Olds 307?

N0DIH
05-26-07, 09:28 PM
IIRC, the fan clutch doesn't care which way it turns.

GM has 2 fan clutches, large pattern to bolt to water pump (Ford, Pontiac and BBC use this size), and then Olds and Chevy use the smaller. Easy to spot.

So you shouldn't have any problems.

07-04-07, 10:04 AM
IIRC, the fan clutch doesn't care which way it turns.

GM has 2 fan clutches, large pattern to bolt to water pump (Ford, Pontiac and BBC use this size), and then Olds and Chevy use the smaller. Easy to spot.

So you shouldn't have any problems.

There is a bastard fan clutch around that fits both the small and big block Chevies. It has slots instead of through holes for water-pump mounting.

I bought one for a 1988 Cadillac Brougham (Olds 307) and it fit the Chevy 454 with no problem. Keeps the engine cool as a cucumber! I got it from Auto Zone.

pi-

davedbusman
07-15-07, 11:51 PM
Oh, gee.

I already bought and replaced the clutch. I thought they were directional (one direction only). But I'll know next time. Thanks for the replies.

N0DIH
07-16-07, 12:11 AM
The fans are most definately directional.... Serpentine belt fans go one one most of the time, the V-belt cars go the same way the engine rotates.

ewill3rd
07-17-07, 05:59 AM
I'd agree, the clutch doesn't know which way it is spinning but the fan blade is definitely the important component here.
The clutch locks or unlocks based on temperature, doesn't worry about rotation.