: Engine control module

Davidstan
04-27-07, 02:07 PM
Anyone know where it is located on our cars? Difficult to get to?

GM-4-LIFE
04-27-07, 05:17 PM
Anyone know where it is located on our cars? Difficult to get to?

It is not easy to get to. It is located under the factory air filter system which is on the front driver's side. Open the hood of the car, remove the plastic surrounding covers, remove the factory air filter system and it should be sitting right there.

Hope this helps.

SG

urbanski
04-27-07, 05:24 PM
edit: my bad, sorry

Davidstan
04-27-07, 06:40 PM
Same for the STS V? that looks like the cts v procedure.

urbanski
04-27-07, 07:17 PM

my mistake, forgot where i was.

GM-4-LIFE
04-28-07, 01:25 AM

I never saw the PCM on the CTS-V, but I did see a friend of mine swap his out on his 2006 STS-V and it was exactly where I described earlier on this thread.

SG

Here is what I posted earlier with a bit of editing though:

It is not easy to get to. It is located under the factory air filter system which is on the front driver's side. Open the hood of the car, remove the plastic surrounding covers on the driver's side, remove the factory air filter system and it should be sitting right there. It isn't that big so don't mistake it for another module.

Hope this helps.

SG

Davidstan
04-28-07, 10:27 AM
I never saw the PCM on the CTS-V, but I did see a friend of mine swap his out on his 2006 STS-V and it was exactly where I described earlier on this thread.

SG

Thx....getting the Vector tune next week and i'll post the before and after dyno results. They provided a before and after dyno by fax that is hard to read but shows 33 peak whp gain and 23 tq gain. Plus a reported 1 mpg gain in fuel savings.

thefred
04-28-07, 02:48 PM
Thx....getting the Vector tune next week and i'll post the before and after dyno results. They provided a before and after dyno by fax that is hard to read but shows 33 peak whp gain and 23 tq gain. Plus a reported 1 mpg gain in fuel savings.

David,

The tune is plug and play and they do not need the car to do the tune? What is the cost?

Davidstan
04-28-07, 06:43 PM
David,

The tune is plug and play and they do not need the car to do the tune? What is the cost?

yes plug and play and you overnite it to them for download to your ecm and they overnite back to you. caddyv8v used vector and was impressed w/ the tune.

thefred
04-29-07, 09:50 AM
Any issues when you take the car in for service? What if they reflash the ecm on a service visit? Will vector redo the tune? And how much is it going to cost?

Davidstan
04-29-07, 10:43 AM
Any issues when you take the car in for service? What if they reflash the ecm on a service visit? Will vector redo the tune? And how much is it going to cost?

http://www.vectormotorsports.com/

Good questions. Try the above link and give them a call. They are pretty good at explaining the process. Their cost is 499.00 for the flash and i asked about a group discount but they said it was having trouble recouping the R/D
cost as it is.

dslivingston
05-07-07, 07:25 PM
Has anyone actually installed this module and does anyone have the before and after results?

Thanks,
David Livingston

Davidstan
05-08-07, 10:08 AM
Has anyone actually installed this module and does anyone have the before and after results?

Thanks,
David Livingston

Vector provided me the before/after dyno graph but is very hard to read (fax) but they claim it gained 33 hp and 21 tq from the stock numbers to the ground. I am having it done today and hopeing to have the results posted by friday.

stephenstay
12-20-07, 05:38 AM
I have a 2007 STS-V and I am trying to find the ECM. I removed the air filter assembly as described but there wasn't anything underneath it. To the side toward the fender is the headlight guide assembly and electronics. I'm obviously missing something. They wouldn't have moved it for a 2007 model.
Thanks,
SS

SG

BMBSALES
12-20-07, 08:18 AM
not sure it would be the way to go, but IMAGINE pulling the wheel and inner fenderwell off...it would be right behind that fenderwell, all the way to the front of the car. when i wrecked mine, the nose was torn off, and the wires caught on fire...i said look...there it is...

Florian
12-20-07, 09:05 AM
http://www.vectormotorsports.com/

Good questions. Try the above link and give them a call. They are pretty good at explaining the process. Their cost is 499.00 for the flash and i asked about a group discount but they said it was having trouble recouping the R/D
cost as it is.

R&D costs?, please. My best friend is a PCM tuner for a living...takes him about a day to figure things out. The majority of the time its fuel trim/tables that need adjustment. The other goodies are easily attainable (smoother, faster shift points, speed limiter removal, higher rev limit, etc.) So Vector is pulling your pud when they hem and haw about a GB. I bet they could get 10 jobs TODAY if they dropped their price to 349 or even 379. Hope theyre lurking.

F

Florian
12-20-07, 09:08 AM
BTW, the CST-V ECU was in front of the driver side tire. You had to get under the car and open up a little 'box' that housed the ECU. There was a 10mm bolt that kept it closed, but it wasnt a truly 'sealed' box, so all sorts of road debris and salt got in there. Once the bolt was removed you just slid the ECU out and detached the 2 harnesses that were there (red and blue).
I havent found the ECU on the STS-V yet, Ill look it up on the GM-SI to see how they recommend removing it.

F

ewill3rd
12-20-07, 09:48 AM
STS-V ECM is located underneath the air cleaner housing but don't access it from above. Do it from below, it is a lot easier.
CTS-V is in a similar location, also accessed from underneath.

If the dealer reprograms the ECM whatever "tune" you have in it will be erased.
There is no indicator to us that it has been reflashed with a tune, if you want to keep it make sure your dealer knows not to reprogram it without your foreknowledge.

Take the stuff off from underneath the car, I am not sure taking the wheelhouse trim out will get you there.
I have one here in the shop, I'll look later and tell you if any of my advice needs to be "modified" ;)

stephenstay
12-20-07, 02:40 PM
Ah yes, from underneath the car. Well, at least I now know how to remove the air filter assembly :)

stephenstay
12-21-07, 05:46 AM
Well, I fought my way into the ecm. You can get to it from above if you take the air cleaner out and you'll find it hiding beneath the horns. One nut removes the horn bracket and you're there. I'm sure it is easier to get to it from below but I already had the filter assembly out ...