: Help find gas tank sending unit '70 DeVille

twinwillow
04-27-07, 12:58 AM
Does anyone know a vender that could supply me with a (new) gas tank sending unit for my 1970 DeVille?
Does anyone have this part for sale?:confused:

carnut
04-27-07, 01:13 PM
Try www.hemmingsmotornews.com or get their monthly magazine. AAA auto parts in Brentwood California is a Cadillac specific dismantlers. try them?

3rd
04-28-07, 08:40 AM
do u know how big the 1970 gas tank is?
I want to know...

twinwillow
04-28-07, 10:42 AM
do u know how big the 1970 gas tank is?
I want to know...

Not quite sure. I think it's about 23 gallons.

twinwillow
04-28-07, 10:46 AM
Try www.hemmingsmotornews.com or get their monthly magazine. AAA auto parts in Brentwood California is a Cadillac specific dismantlers. try them?

Thank you. My mechanic is trying to get the metal gas tube line repaired.
The actual sender works but if they can't repair the gas tube, they will have to replace the whole sending unit.

Old Fleetwood
04-28-07, 10:10 PM
Did that 1970 have "needle" or electronic gauges?

z06bigbird
04-29-07, 08:11 PM
Did that 1970 have "needle" or electronic gauges?

analog (needle)

I could be wrong, but I don't think digital gauges hit the market until the 80s.

Old Fleetwood
04-29-07, 11:40 PM
Hemmings or a boneyard is probably your best bet. However, if all else fails, you can try something far out which worked for me:
Get a marine supply house catalog (West Marine, Defender Marine, etc.) and look under fuel tank accessories. You should find fuel tank senders - things that look like toilet tank ballcock valves in miniature, only they have a rheostat on the business (top) end.
I put a bunch of them on my own and friends boat gas - and diesel - tanks over the years and had little trouble matching the sender to the gauge.
If the resistance it TOO low, you can always put another resistor in line to the gauge to make it read properly.
Those "universal" senders are adjustable in both height and length for various size tanks.

3rd
05-01-07, 11:09 AM
True story about this "needle" I hate so much... besides the fact I have an empty tank stoppin at the stop sign and a full tank leaving it?....

I get my baby in december of '05, the people that delivered her tell me either the fuel gauge is broken or there's no gas, so I pull over to the gas station which is about 50 feet away, put 20$ in and the fuel gauge dont move so now I know its broken right? So I have her sittin up all this time only puttin enough gas in to be able to crank the engine up every now and then, then I finally get her on the road, put 15 in one day because theres no way to tell how much gas is in it so I gotta be safe (HA! 15$?), ride around town for about an hour, the next day I put another 20 in and guess what? *bloomp* the fuel gauge pops up to a lil less than a quarter tank! I cannot beleive the SUPER ULTRA GASUCKIN ABILITY of this car, and another thing, if I hit the lottery one day and can fill her up all the way, will the gas pump stop when it hits the gas or will it overflow all over the place?

Now that I read this, it really has nothin to do with the needle haha...

z06bigbird
05-03-07, 11:43 AM
1970 and 1969 are the same. Try junk yards in remote areas of Kansas and Illinois. There are tons of old cars out there, and they do not use internet. You can still locate those yards in e-yellow pages.

cadillacmike68
05-03-07, 10:07 PM
1. Most of the 1970s had a 26 gallon tank, the Eldorado and commercial chassis had 2-3 gallons smaller.

2. if the sender is correctly connected and grounded it will give an accurate reading. it's right where the filler neck is, check the wires once in a while.