: Steering system grinding when turning hard left to hard right from dead stop...

GM-4-LIFE
04-26-07, 03:20 PM
Within the last few days, I have noticed a grinding, chattering feeling through the steering wheel and the steering system on my 2007 STS-V when I am at a dead stop and I turn the wheel hard left to hard right. It does it whether the steering wheel is center or not and you can feel it from the steering wheels all the way down to the tires it seems.

I currently have 1,100 miles on the car and it never did this before. Does anyone else have this issue? I just want to make sure it is normal before I take it into my local Cadillac dealer for them to check it out.

SG

dhemrick
04-26-07, 04:31 PM
Within the last few days, I have noticed a grinding, chattering feeling through the steering wheel and the steering system on my 2007 STS-V when I am at a dead stop and I turn the wheel hard left to hard right. It does it whether the steering wheel is center or not and you can feel it from the steering wheels all the way down to the tires it seems.

I currently have 1,100 miles on the car and it never did this before. Does anyone else have this issue? I just want to make sure it is normal before I take it into my local Cadillac dealer for them to check it out.

SG

I have 4000 miles on my 2006 STS-V, and my car definitely doesn't do this. Turning the wheel is buttery smooth no matter what. I have to turn my wheel hard left while at a dead stop when backing out of my garage before preparing to go forward, and I have never noticed any grinding or chattering.

Just a guess, but could be the power steering pump or the belt driving the pump slipping. My steering pump went bad in my Silverado pickup a few years ago, and for a few months before it went out, there was slight a vibration (could be called chattering) in the steering wheel when turning hard. I could not hear it, but I could feel it in the wheel. I would describe it as the wheel feeling "nervous".

Eventually, the spindle driving the pump broke and the whole thing quit working. It was replaced under warranty, but try driving a 5500 lb truck with big tires and no power steering even for a day! Not fun. It now turns great and is way better than it ever was before with the old pump, so I probably got a bad one from day 1.

I'd say take it to the dealer. A Caddy should always be smooth.

I would say that is definitely not normal.

GM-4-LIFE
04-26-07, 05:00 PM
I have 4000 miles on my 2006 STS-V, and my car definitely doesn't do this. Turning the wheel is buttery smooth no matter what. I have to turn my wheel hard left while at a dead stop when backing out of my garage before preparing to go forward, and I have never noticed any grinding or chattering.

Just a guess, but could be the power steering pump or the belt driving the pump slipping. My steering pump went bad in my Silverado pickup a few years ago, and for a few months before it went out, there was slight a vibration (could be called chattering) in the steering wheel when turning hard. I could not hear it, but I could feel it in the wheel. I would describe it as the wheel feeling "nervous".

Eventually, the spindle driving the pump broke and the whole thing quit working. It was replaced under warranty, but try driving a 5500 lb truck with big tires and no power steering even for a day! Not fun. It now turns great and is way better than it ever was before with the old pump, so I probably got a bad one from day 1.

I'd say take it to the dealer. A Caddy should always be smooth.

I would say that is definitely not normal.

Thanks for the info. I will be contacting my local dealer now and see if I can drop it off ASAP. It didn't feel normal to me and when it comes to cars, I am very sensitive to everything and this threw up a red flag because it never did this when I first got the car.

Again, thank you.

SG

GM-4-LIFE
04-27-07, 01:08 PM
Just giving an update on this issue in case anyone else reading this has the same problem on their STS-V like I experienced.

I took the STS-V into my local Cadillac dealer yesterday afternoon and they are checking it out. They also agreed that the condition is not normal and both the service advisor and technician have "duplicated the concern." Of course like all dealers, they told me that this is the first time they have ever heard or seen this on an STS-V.

I will update everyone as to what they find and what they have to do to get my power steering to be silky smooth once again.

SG

WillySTS
04-27-07, 09:51 PM

SG

Hello AERO1, I guess I will get to meet you soon. We will check it out for you, but I can tell you that my car does this as well, though not at the times you have described. Mine does it on hard right turns while braking. I first noticed it when speeding down the street towards my home and braking hard while turning into the driveway, and it does seem to be getting worse. I figured it was the way I'm driving it since my wife hasn't complained about it yet and she complains about everything the car does. I have changed my p/s fluid to synthetic and to my suprise it did not change. There is no associated noise with it so I have not decided what to do with it yet.

Believe it or not, I had the exact same sensation on my '95 Eldorado, years ago, and it never went away. In my experience with Cadillac we have had some power steering pump and/or gear failures for inexplicable reasons, but I have never had a "V" steering failure yet.

GM-4-LIFE
04-28-07, 01:46 AM
Hello AERO1, I guess I will get to meet you soon. We will check it out for you, but I can tell you that my car does this as well, though not at the times you have described. Mine does it on hard right turns while braking. I first noticed it when speeding down the street towards my home and braking hard while turning into the driveway, and it does seem to be getting worse. I figured it was the way I'm driving it since my wife hasn't complained about it yet and she complains about everything the car does. I have changed my p/s fluid to synthetic and to my suprise it did not change. There is no associated noise with it so I have not decided what to do with it yet.

Believe it or not, I had the exact same sensation on my '95 Eldorado, years ago, and it never went away. In my experience with Cadillac we have had some power steering pump and/or gear failures for inexplicable reasons, but I have never had a "V" steering failure yet.

WillySTS,

Well, I may have to come down to Martin one day to drop it off, but it isn't exactly close to where I live. You should report your problem to GM or GM tech line so they can start looking into the problem so if other STS-V owners have this problem, they don't do what they did to me. If you need my case number, let me know and I will give it to you so you can also report your problem and reference my case number so GM knows it isn't an isolated problem.

I took it to Rydell Cadillac Thursday afternoon, because they are the closest to my home and they agreed that it wasn't normal when I called them and when I arrived. The service advisor felt it in the steering wheel, so did the technician, the shop foreman and the service manager. It looked like watching Cal-Trans workers...one guy working and five others standing there watching the one guy work. :)

So they called me several times today with updates which was nice of the service advisor. He told me that they all felt it and it is NOT normal, but they don't know how to fix it, they don't know what is causing the problem or what to do and they don't want to "throw parts at it" because it will come back to the technician, if it doesn't fix the problem.

So they called the GM tech line because I guess they didn't know what else to do and the GM tech line said that there weren't any known issues like they described so they didn't have a fix for it or a TSB in the GM system. GM tech line did create a case number for the issue and advised the technician to re-torque the front end of the car. The technician did this and when I picked up the car, it seemed to be done and the problem seemed to be gone which I was very happy with.

I drove the car 5 miles and the problem came back and this time seemed a bit worse. My car ONLY does it at a dead stop cranking the wheel back and forth from left to right and at low parking speeds. It has to be an issue with the power steering system's low speed pump, module, or whatever controls the low speed steering modulation at low speeds. You can see the wheels chatter as the steering wheel grinds. At normal driving speeds or high speeds, this does not happen.

My car only has 1100 miles on it! It is brand new!!!!!!

I also had an issue with my bluetooth system so they ordered an updated CD software kit that they said should get rid of the problem, so when I take it back to Rydell for the software fix, I will complain about the steering system again and hope that they fix it or have GM give me a new car. If they attempt to fix it 3 or more times unsuccessfully, I will contact the BBB auto line and initiate an arbitration so they can take this car back and give me a new one. An $80,000.00 Cadillac's steering wheel should be silky smooth, not gravel rough while turning the wheel.

SG

WillySTS
04-29-07, 01:21 AM
When you notice this, is your foot on the brake? If so, this may have an effect on it since the wheels actually rotate in opposite directions when sitting still. Mine seems to be getting more noticeable now that I'm paying attention to it.

Since you have it at Rydell and they have opened a case on it, they should probably stick with it until it is resolved, but keep us posted. Meanwhile, I'll let you know if I figure mine out.I usually do that sort of thing. It seems every Cadillac I've ever owned had some problem the dealer could not fix or duplicate and I end up figuring it out and telling them what to do, or fixing it myself(I started my career as a technician and have a little mechanical ability) but, I'm not to worried about it at the moment, but I think it is a problem within the steering gear. There is a little valve in there that has to do with varying the steering assist at higher or lower speeds. I feel it's in the gear, not the pump that is the problem...the pumps pressure is fairly constant.

What ever it is, I'm certain it is a minor problem when we do find what it is.

GM-4-LIFE
04-29-07, 01:43 AM
When you notice this, is your foot on the brake? If so, this may have an effect on it since the wheels actually rotate in opposite directions when sitting still. Mine seems to be getting more noticeable now that I'm paying attention to it.

Since you have it at Rydell and they have opened a case on it, they should probably stick with it until it is resolved, but keep us posted. Meanwhile, I'll let you know if I figure mine out.I usually do that sort of thing. It seems every Cadillac I've ever owned had some problem the dealer could not fix or duplicate and I end up figuring it out and telling them what to do, or fixing it myself(I started my career as a technician and have a little mechanical ability) but, I'm not to worried about it at the moment, but I think it is a problem within the steering gear. There is a little valve in there that has to do with varying the steering assist at higher or lower speeds. I feel it's in the gear, not the pump that is the problem...the pumps pressure is fairly constant.

What ever it is, I'm certain it is a minor problem when we do find what it is.

WillySTS,

It happens both ways and it isn't worse one way or another. Whether my foot is on the brake or not, it does it and worse at very low parking speeds. I will keep complaining about it until they fix it and if not, I will complain until I get them to take the car back and get me a new one. This should not happen on a brand new car and it is a huge inconvenience to keep taking it in time and time again.

Let me know if you find anything. Thank you.

SG

Tinmanx
04-29-07, 12:27 PM
At 6000 miles, my v developed a power steering leak. When I took it to the dealership, they replaced the steering rack. I've recently noticed a vibration in my steering wheel when I turn the wheel at a stop. Similar to the feel it had when it was low on power steering fluid, but much lighter.

GM-4-LIFE
04-29-07, 01:48 PM
At 6000 miles, my v developed a power steering leak. When I took it to the dealership, they replaced the steering rack. I've recently noticed a vibration in my steering wheel when I turn the wheel at a stop. Similar to the feel it had when it was low on power steering fluid, but much lighter.

Thank you for the info. I wonder if the dealer checked the power steering fluid level. I know it isn't leaking or I would see it on my garage floor, but I will check it soon. It is weird because right after the dealer re-torqued everything on the front end of the car, it was gone, but came back within 5 miles of driving. Good old American quality.

SG

z06bigbird
04-29-07, 03:45 PM
Let us know what the final resolution of the problem is. Fascinating problem.

GM-4-LIFE
05-08-07, 12:35 PM
I haven't taken the car back to the dealer for the second attempt on the steering chattering repair, but I noticed that it got WORSE when I drove it yesterday.

It is such a hassle to keep having to take the car in for service when GM doesn't have a known fix for it as of yet, but it doesn't seem safe to drive the car with this condition. The dealer doesn't want to throw parts at it and GM has no fix for it yet. I think the dealer doesn't know how to work on the high tech STS-V's steering system and that is why they didn't attempt to repair it.

I am sure GM will have a fix for it as soon as they get a bunch more reported complaints about the same problem I am experiencing.

Sure is a shame that GM charges so much for a car and doesn't focus on using quality components so things like this don't happen.

SG

GM-4-LIFE
05-15-07, 11:49 PM
Just to update you guys on my situation, I took the car in today for the Bluetooth update (didn't work) and to complain about the steering issue as it still persists.

They did the Bluetooth software update, but it still doesn't work and still gives the connection failure message it did before when trying to connect.

The technician said he didn't want to throw parts at it and that GM doesn't have a fix for it yet as the car is too new (1366 miles) so no repairs were made although GM was contacted about it and they advised the technician that nothing was available for the fix and they didn't know what to do to fix it.

Tomorrow, I will contact Cadillac customer assistance and file a case with them and see what they plan on doing about an $80,000.00 Cadillac that has a problem the dealer can't fix both the Bluetooth and the steering system.

This is just ridiculous. I don't even have 1500 miles on the damn car!

SG

GM-4-LIFE
05-16-07, 03:00 PM
Another update on my issue. I called Cadillac Customer Assistance and advised them what the problems are with the car and one of them being a safety issue because it deals with the vehicle's steering and since I have a 2 year old that I take everywhere with me, I don't want the steering to have a problem that causes an accident that may lead to injury.

The lady at Cadillac was very nice. She took all my info down and started a case file for me. She put me on hold, spoke to my service advisor at the dealership and he verified exactly what I told her.

Basically the dealer verified that there is a problem, but they don't know how to fix it and they don't want to throw parts at it because they don't know if that will fix the issue. My service advisor even told her that the dealer contacted GM technical assistance and opened up a case file with them on the steering issue. I also told her that I want the car replaced or my money back so I can get another vehicle.

She then told me that she is going to escalate the situation to a case manager and they will contact me within 24-28 business hours.

Now, I am waiting to see what happens. I will update everyone as soon as I hear from them.

SG

LS6HVN
05-23-07, 07:19 PM
Well interestingly I have this issue too. I didn't have this problem on my CTS-V. I've been lurking for a while since I got my 07' STS-V. And now I've got 1200 miles on her and I too have a "shutter" in my steering. I only notice it when I'm backing out of a parking spot, stop and crank the wheel in the opposite direction. Pretty unnerving when I'm showing someone my new "HotRod". I put some powersteering fluid in and thought the problem went away. But I noticed it again when I had a passenger in the car. Although it doesn't happen until I get closer to lock and is not as dramatic. Gawd, I hate to take it to the dealer. I 'm sure I'll get the same response. But I better get it in the system. I'll post when I know anything more. Good luck guys.

GM-4-LIFE
05-23-07, 09:12 PM
Well interestingly I have this issue too. I didn't have this problem on my CTS-V. I've been lurking for a while since I got my 07' STS-V. And now I've got 1200 miles on her and I too have a "shutter" in my steering. I only notice it when I'm backing out of a parking spot, stop and crank the wheel in the opposite direction. Pretty unnerving when I'm showing someone my new "HotRod". I put some powersteering fluid in and thought the problem went away. But I noticed it again when I had a passenger in the car. Although it doesn't happen until I get closer to lock and is not as dramatic. Gawd, I hate to take it to the dealer. I 'm sure I'll get the same response. But I better get it in the system. I'll post when I know anything more. Good luck guys.

I am glad that I am not the only one. It is a terribly annoying problem to say the least. Take it to your Cadillac dealer and report it and make sure they contact GM TAC (Technical Assistance Center) if they can't fix it because I reported it and they know about the concern. Once they start getting this concern from STS-V owners, they have no choice but to look at the issue closely and come up with a resolution.

Today, I was told by Cadillac customer assistance that the service manager at the servicing dealership told them that it is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. It is funny because at the time I took it in to the servicing dealership, everyone said that it is NOT normal, but since the car is too new, they didn't know how to fix it, they didn't want to throw parts at it and GM TAC didn't have a fix for it.

I too, did not have this problem with my 2006 CTS-V and refuse to believe that it is normal. It didn't do it when the car was new and it developed at 1,000 miles and has gotten progressively worse. If it was a normal characteristic of the car, it would have done it from day one. Mine does it at a stop or at parking speeds when turning the wheel hard left and then right, but not necessarily in lock.

I told Cadillac customer assistance that I will be taking it to another dealer that is more customer oriented and will take more time looking at the concern.

They said they would check in with me in a week to see if the problem has been resolved.

Please let me know either by posting here, by PM or emailing me what your dealer said or if they fixed it so I can tell my dealer to fix it.

BY THE WAY, I WILL BE IN VEGAS THIS WEEKEND FROM FRIDAY TO MONDAY. VIVA LAS VEGAS! I LOVE IT THERE!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

SG

dhemrick
05-23-07, 10:40 PM
BY THE WAY, I WILL BE IN VEGAS THIS WEEKEND FROM FRIDAY TO MONDAY. VIVA LAS VEGAS! I LOVE IT THERE!!!!!!!!!!
SG

I was there this past Thursday through Monday. I just got home two days ago and already want to go back. I LOVE that place! (and it loved me back $700 this time too!) :dance: VIVA LAS VEGAS!

As a side note, I did see several CTS-Vs there on the strip, (and even a beautiful red 75/76 Eldo convertible oozed by) but not one single STS-V. What... no high rollers have STS-Vs?

WillySTS
05-23-07, 11:03 PM
I, too, have been experiencing this phenomenon, but, since I am a service advisor and former technician decided to look into this myself, with the help of others.

This has been a complaint of STS V owners only, in the Sigma based vehicles, I have noticed.

We have NEVER found anything causing this on a single one of them. I figured,this is a job for synthetic oil, so I flushed my system...not with the machine which doesn't get it all out, but we removed the hose at the P/S cooler and drained it. Then we turned the steering wheel back and forth and forced the remainder of the fluid out. Filled it up with about 1.1 qt of Redline Synthetic P/S fluid...and guess what...it's still there.

Our front end men(2) examined it last week and felt it, examined all of GM's publications, called the field engineer and we came to this conclusion...it is a normal condition for this car which features wide front tires and a "high caster" specification alignment setting. This "studder" is only present at low speeds and presents NO degradation of steering performance or saftey at normal(I'll add abnormal, or high) road speeds. I must say that I have never noticed it at anything BUT parking speeds and my wife has never noticed it at all.

This is not to say that yours is not worse and/or that it really isn't a problem, this is just letting you know what we found by examining one car with a similar problem. I'll keep digging as time goes buy and let you all know.

GM-4-LIFE
05-24-07, 12:14 AM
I, too, have been experiencing this phenomenon, but, since I am a service advisor and former technician decided to look into this myself, with the help of others.

This has been a complaint of STS V owners only, in the Sigma based vehicles, I have noticed.

We have NEVER found anything causing this on a single one of them. I figured,this is a job for synthetic oil, so I flushed my system...not with the machine which doesn't get it all out, but we removed the hose at the P/S cooler and drained it. Then we turned the steering wheel back and forth and forced the remainder of the fluid out. Filled it up with about 1.1 qt of Redline Synthetic P/S fluid...and guess what...it's still there.

Our front end men(2) examined it last week and felt it, examined all of GM's publications, called the field engineer and we came to this conclusion...it is a normal condition for this car which features wide front tires and a "high caster" specification alignment setting. This "studder" is only present at low speeds and presents NO degradation of steering performance or saftey at normal(I'll add abnormal, or high) road speeds. I must say that I have never noticed it at anything BUT parking speeds and my wife has never noticed it at all.

This is not to say that yours is not worse and/or that it really isn't a problem, this is just letting you know what we found by examining one car with a similar problem. I'll keep digging as time goes buy and let you all know.

Thanks for the info, however why did it not happen when the car was new? Why did it wait 1,000 miles to show up? I am very sensitive when it comes to cars and I would have noticed it right away. I used to do a lot of driveability diagnostics and am very in tune to the way cars work. To me, this is unacceptable.

I will keep complaining until GM takes the car back and gives me my money back. I loved my STS-V until the steering got my hand feeling like I had carpel tunnel syndrome. (not sure of the spelling of it, but you guys know what I mean) I will then get another 2007 or 2008 Escalade like my wife's. At least that car's rack and pinion steering system is like butter and I love the 2007 Escalade all around. It may not have the power the STS-V has, but I am sure it can be done with a Maggie. I am beginning to love my wife's Escalade the more I drive it. To me, it is a better vehicle than the STS-V.

SG

Kadonny
05-24-07, 01:26 PM
Holy crap. Just yesteday you were eager to get the D3 stage 2 done, now this?

I feel for you and all, but for me it's not something I would trade the car in for since mine only does is sporadically.

Let us know what you decide.

GM-4-LIFE
05-24-07, 02:09 PM
Holy crap. Just yesteday you were eager to get the D3 stage 2 done, now this?

I feel for you and all, but for me it's not something I would trade the car in for since mine only does is sporadically.

Let us know what you decide.

Kadonny,

I already have the D3 Stage I intake that I purchased back in February, but it is still sitting in a sealed box in my garage because I don't know if I will keep the car or not. I am waiting for GM to decide what they are going to do about it. Mine does it all the time at low speeds, not intermittently and it is very annoying. Actually, mine was subtle and has gotten worse with more miles on the car. I have about 1650 miles on the car currently and it isn't getting any better.

I want to mod the car, but I will wait until I get a definite negative answer from GM. Besides the D3 Stage II pipes are a few weeks away at best so I have time.

I will keep everyone posted on the steering issue.

SG

LS6HVN
05-25-07, 12:02 AM
LOL, glad to hear you guys are having fun when you visit. Boy, how this town as changed thru the years. This place still amazes me.

I'm gonna try and get to the dealer tommorow(fri)

Aero1,
Hey, if you drive your V here, bring it over to Cadillac West of Las Vegas and maybe we can gang up on 'em and get this issue fixed.:thumbsup:

WillySTS,
Very cool that someone can acually do some technical investigating. My first instinct when I noticed this issue was, the dealer is gonna tell me it's because of the wide tires. But we didn't have this issue on the CTS-V's and they have wider tires. Is it because GM solved this issue on the Corvettes and their wide tires and the package was transplanted into the CTS-V, while the STS-V/Northstar system was developed by Cadillac in house? Sounds like this is something GM has to fix. (sigh)

At this point I almost have to make it happen, i.e. stop, turn the wheel left and right rapidly, seems to happen just before lock. Other wise driving is normal. I suppose I could live with it. But it does stick in your mind.
My buddy has an '07 STS I'm gonna ask him if notices anything on his car.
Hopefully I can get to the dealer tommorow. I'll post again soon.

GM-4-LIFE
05-25-07, 12:26 AM
LOL, glad to hear you guys are having fun when you visit. Boy, how this town as changed thru the years. This place still amazes me.

Aero1,
Hey, if you drive your V here, bring it over to Cadillac West of Las Vegas and maybe we can gang up on 'em and get this issue fixed.:thumbsup:

I am flying in tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. as I hate the L.A. to Vegas drive. Let me know what your dealer says and what they come up with. If they can't figure it out, have them contact GM Technical Assistance because they have my file number in their system and they should be able to see that there are other STS-V owners that have the issue and it has to be fixed. It is terrible. If you need my GM TAC file number, just ask and I will give it to you. It is on my repair order that my dealer gave back to me with the info when they storied out the concern.

By the way, I had a flat tire this morning, so I took it to my local Cadillac dealer and since they couldn't fix it, they sent it over to a local Tire Pros to get the nail removed and patched and somehow someway, they damaged 3 out of 4 of my wheels. Before I took it in, I checked every wheel when I was checking the tire pressure in all four wheels and the damage wasn't there as I am on meticulous person when it comes to these things. I am not happy and they are going to get back to me as to how they are going to handle this. It just bothers me that nobody cares about paying special attention when fixing your expensive car and then when you bring it to their attention, they deny it and walk away. Tire Pros denied it when the tire they fixed has the worst gouge marks on that same wheel. Cadillac's service manager didn't really care and said he would get back to me. I am not holding my breath. Sounds like I am going to have to place another call to Cadillac customer assistance to get those damaged wheels replaced. Terrible, I mean just terrible!

SG

WillySTS
05-25-07, 02:15 AM
I am flying in tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. as I hate the L.A. to Vegas drive.
SG

Let me get this straight...you HATE the L.A. to Vegas run and you own a "V"???

I love that run in every car I've recently owned except my pickup!(454SS). It was especially good in my '99 STS,but I haven't done it yet in my "V"...can't wait until I do!!!

The "V" is a Vegas run car if there ever was one!!!

LS6HVN

You could be right about that system transplant...my Firehawk has 275/40's all the way around and 5.5 deg of caster also and it doesn't do it, but it does have a different steering gear than the V.

Davidstan
05-25-07, 09:27 AM
I am flying in tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. as I hate the L.A. to Vegas drive. Let me know what your dealer says and what they come up with. If they can't figure it out, have them contact GM Technical Assistance because they have my file number in their system and they should be able to see that there are other STS-V owners that have the issue and it has to be fixed. It is terrible. If you need my GM TAC file number, just ask and I will give it to you. It is on my repair order that my dealer gave back to me with the info when they storied out the concern.

By the way, I had a flat tire this morning, so I took it to my local Cadillac dealer and since they couldn't fix it, they sent it over to a local Tire Pros to get the nail removed and patched and somehow someway, they damaged 3 out of 4 of my wheels. Before I took it in, I checked every wheel when I was checking the tire pressure in all four wheels and the damage wasn't there as I am on meticulous person when it comes to these things. I am not happy and they are going to get back to me as to how they are going to handle this. It just bothers me that nobody cares about paying special attention when fixing your expensive car and then when you bring it to their attention, they deny it and walk away. Tire Pros denied it when the tire they fixed has the worst gouge marks on that same wheel. Cadillac's service manager didn't really care and said he would get back to me. I am not holding my breath. Sounds like I am going to have to place another call to Cadillac customer assistance to get those damaged wheels replaced. Terrible, I mean just terrible!

SG
I had a similar wheel escapade with my dealer. Chromies. Took the car in for a routine maint and a minor fix and picked the car up the next day. I should know better after having this happen 3 times before but over 12 years. Washed the car the next day and one wheel curb rashed. Because i did not do a walk around with the service advisor i have no proof it happened there.
Lesson learned.

GM-4-LIFE
05-25-07, 10:04 AM
Let me get this straight...you HATE the L.A. to Vegas run and you own a "V"???

I love that run in every car I've recently owned except my pickup!(454SS). It was especially good in my '99 STS,but I haven't done it yet in my "V"...can't wait until I do!!!

The "V" is a Vegas run car if there ever was one!!!

The V would be a great L.A. to Vegas run if there was no traffic on the way there. Everytime I have driven to Vegas, it has taken hours longer than it should to get there. You can't beat a 40 minute to an hour flight to get there. You save two days of full driving. I would love to take the STS-V to Vegas, but only if there would be no traffic.

SG

WillySTS
05-25-07, 07:11 PM
I guess so, you do have to time it right, and also I do not fly in airplanes unless I "have to", and thats not a "have to" trip, so...most of our flying is on the ground. That is why I have such a nice "Road Car"...!

GM-4-LIFE
05-29-07, 12:10 AM

Any update on the fix from your dealer when you took it in?

SG

LS6HVN
06-10-07, 08:45 PM
Hey Guys,

Sorry I've been offline for a couple weeks.

AERO1,
Stopped in to the dealer on Fri., June 1st. I asked my service person to "Tell me what she thought about my power steering issue." Sure enough she felt it too. She asked me if I had a minute so the service tech could check it out also. So I said sure. When she brought my car back around, she said she wanted to make me an appointment for Monday cause he thinks it's in the steering gear. So I dropped my car off Mon. morning. I talked to her Tues., she said they ordered new steering gear. I said OK, I figure parts are coming from detroit. (At least they haven't told me "It's the wide tires" LOL) Thurs., she called and let me know that the new gear was installed and had reduced most of the steering "noise", but that the tech wanted to replace the pump as well in order to eliminate all the "noise". She wanted to know if it was OK to keep my car another day. Absolutely.
Picked the car up Fri., and IT WAS FIXED! Steering even felt a little tighter.
And my car seemed to survive the the dealer for a week, i.e. no new issues, scratches, etc.
So far I am Happy. But we'll see what happens in the next thousand miles.:rolleyes:

Hope this is good news for you. PM me or post if I can help you more.

GM-4-LIFE
06-11-07, 12:08 AM
Hey Guys,

Sorry I've been offline for a couple weeks.

AERO1,
Stopped in to the dealer on Fri., June 1st. I asked my service person to "Tell me what she thought about my power steering issue." Sure enough she felt it too. She asked me if I had a minute so the service tech could check it out also. So I said sure. When she brought my car back around, she said she wanted to make me an appointment for Monday cause he thinks it's in the steering gear. So I dropped my car off Mon. morning. I talked to her Tues., she said they ordered new steering gear. I said OK, I figure parts are coming from detroit. (At least they haven't told me "It's the wide tires" LOL) Thurs., she called and let me know that the new gear was installed and had reduced most of the steering "noise", but that the tech wanted to replace the pump as well in order to eliminate all the "noise". She wanted to know if it was OK to keep my car another day. Absolutely.
Picked the car up Fri., and IT WAS FIXED! Steering even felt a little tighter.
And my car seemed to survive the the dealer for a week, i.e. no new issues, scratches, etc.
So far I am Happy. But we'll see what happens in the next thousand miles.:rolleyes:

Hope this is good news for you. PM me or post if I can help you more.

Sounds like you have yourself a great Cadillac dealer out there. I took my car to two different Cadillac dealers out here and both told me it was normal and refused to fix the car. It doesn't feel normal to me at all.

Did they say which gear they replaced? I am assuming there has to be at least two, one that regulates low speeds and one that regulates high speeds. Obviously they replaced the power steering pump.

I will let the Cadillac customer assistance center rep know that you were taken care of and your problem has ceased and see if they can tell one of the dealers out here to do the same for me.

I did PM you requesting some info so I can pass it on to Cadillac so they can do what they can for me. It is terrible that I have to go to such great lengths to get my new car fixed. I just hit 1900 miles yesterday.

SG

Kadonny
06-11-07, 09:05 AM
Please keep us posted on this. Thanks SG.

GM-4-LIFE
06-11-07, 01:21 PM
I am supposed to get a scheduled call from the rep at Cadillac Customer Assistance today. I will advise her of my findings and see what she will do about getting me taken care of. I will then report back so everyone else that has this issue can get it addressed and dealt with. I don't want anyone else here to get the runaround like I did.

SG

LS6HVN
06-11-07, 10:52 PM
bump

LS6HVN
06-11-07, 11:21 PM
OK, here is what my Inv. says,

POWER STEERING SHUDDER#?//PERFORM VISUAL/PHYSICAL INSPECTION,CHECK POWER STEERING PRESSURES, TRACE TO INTERNAL STEERING GEAR FAULT, REPLACE POWER STEERING GEAR// AFTER REPLACING GEAR AND BLEEDING AIR FROM SYSTEM POWER STEERING PUMP STARTED TO MAKE NOISE LIKELY CAUSED POOR FLUID FLOW THROUGH GEAR AND PUMP, BLEED POWER STEERING SYSTEM 3 TIMES PUMP STILL NOISY UNABLE TO REMOVE NOISE FROM PUMP, NECESSARY TO REPLACE POWER STEERING PUMP//

Hey AERO1, This could be a great excuse to come to Vegas. 'Cept ya might have to stay a whole week.
:alchi:

Good Luck with this guys.

GM-4-LIFE
06-12-07, 11:08 AM
OK, here is what my Inv. says,

POWER STEERING SHUDDER#?//PERFORM VISUAL/PHYSICAL INSPECTION,CHECK POWER STEERING PRESSURES, TRACE TO INTERNAL STEERING GEAR FAULT, REPLACE POWER STEERING GEAR// AFTER REPLACING GEAR AND BLEEDING AIR FROM SYSTEM POWER STEERING PUMP STARTED TO MAKE NOISE LIKELY CAUSED POOR FLUID FLOW THROUGH GEAR AND PUMP, BLEED POWER STEERING SYSTEM 3 TIMES PUMP STILL NOISY UNABLE TO REMOVE NOISE FROM PUMP, NECESSARY TO REPLACE POWER STEERING PUMP//

Hey AERO1, This could be a great excuse to come to Vegas. 'Cept ya might have to stay a whole week.
:alchi:

Good Luck with this guys.

I told the rep at Cadillac Customer Assistance yesterday about your problem being fixed at the dealership in Vegas and she said that your problem must have been different than mine if the dealership you went to was able to diagnose and fix the issue. She also said that I would have to find a dealer here that would do it under warranty. So basically after all that, I am back to square one.

I have PM'd WillySTS on the forum here as he is a service writer at Martin Cadillac where I purchased my STS-V. I am waiting for a response from him to see if he can take care of this problem for me. That is my only route.

Hey LS6HVN, can you fax me your invoice so I can take it to the original dealer I went to twice? I am sure they will be more inclined to fix it if I take them your invoice. If so, please fax to: 818-385-0797. Thanks in advance.

SG

LS6HVN
06-12-07, 11:25 PM
Invoice on the way.

So much for Cadillac Customer Assistance. Is this "assitance" from the dealer or GM? I always thought the GM warranty was honored at all Cadillac dealerships. She is prolly right tho, your problem is different than mine; my dealer fixed mine and your dealer doesn't want/know how to. :mad: I feel your pain brother. Have you considered a second opinion? Looking on the Cadillac websight, there are several Cadillac dealers in L.A. I'm sure one of them would be concerned about your satisfaction as a now and future Cadillac buyer.

Let me know how it goes.

GM-4-LIFE
06-13-07, 12:15 AM
Invoice on the way.

So much for Cadillac Customer Assistance. Is this "assitance" from the dealer or GM? I always thought the GM warranty was honored at all Cadillac dealerships. She is prolly right tho, your problem is different than mine; my dealer fixed mine and your dealer doesn't want/know how to. :mad: I feel your pain brother. Have you considered a second opinion? Looking on the Cadillac websight, there are several Cadillac dealers in L.A. I'm sure one of them would be concerned about your satisfaction as a now and future Cadillac buyer.

Let me know how it goes.

This is GM's Cadillac Customer Assistance center from Detroit, Michigan. Cadillac dealers out here don't really care in my opinion. I have already gone to two different dealers and may visit a third, but at least if I have your RO/Invoice in my hands, they can use that as a guide to fix my car. Both said the concern is normal, but I think they don't know how to fix it so it is an easy way to say live with it cause we don't know how to fix it. Oh well, thanks again for all your help my friend. What would we do without the internet? Once I get your fax, I will forward it to the first dealer I went to and see if they will take on the fix.

SG

GM-4-LIFE
06-27-07, 03:27 PM
Just to update everyone, no dealer has been willing to fix the steering problem yet. Both dealers I went to said it was a normal characteristic of the vehicle which I refuse to believe.

Yesterday, the Cadillac Customer Assistance Rep. called me and told me that I had to find a dealer willing to diagnose it and repair it under warranty.

I now have to go to a Cadillac dealer armed with the invoice that LS6HVN faxed me and tell the technicians what is required to fix the steering issue. I can't believe I have to go to this length to get my new 2007 STS-V fixed. I just hit 2000 miles after almost 5 months of ownership and I am NOT pleased.

They don't care about keeping customers happy like they say or they would do what they could for me as a loyal GM buyer.

Any and all comments from you guys would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

SG