: Northstar runs PERFECT THEN DIES

Eldobroken
04-25-07, 06:55 PM
Hi guys mabye sokmeone could give a suggestion, 2000 Eldo ETC car runs perfect for about 15 mins then just dies for 2 hours or so when its cold starts right up. A little history just put in new Crank position sensors and a 100K tunje up new plugs and A new rear coil module. The old coil mosule was burnt near spring i cleaned the hole as well as i could. Fuel pump is also new. Any Ideas guys, Mabye a bad coil pack also what does that middle spring on the module do? a ground i would think. Any help would be greatly appriciated as this is driving me crazy.

misfit6794
04-25-07, 07:05 PM
Have you ever changed out your fuel pressure regulator ever? I am not sure whether or not it would cause stalling, but it usually makes hot starts nearly impossible. Simple way to check it, it should be right before the fuel rail on the upper right hand side of the engine (it was on my 96, not sure if they changed it since). Turn the key into the on position and pull the plastic tube off of it. If you have gas come up thru the nipple, the diaphram inside is fractured and its bad. Theres a write up in the tech tips section. Really the only idea ive got, since you changed out your crank sensors. You could also check your fuel filter. I suspect the fpr tho since it starts fine when cold.

1997seville
04-25-07, 07:28 PM
Another thing could be the fuel filter. I had the exact same symptoms once. The filter was clogged so bad that it could'nt pass fuel fast enough. Once it sat for a while, the fuel would seep through enough for it to run for a while until it got starved again.

Eldobroken
04-26-07, 07:00 AM
thanks guys I will give it a check also the Stability light comes on when it stalls. Very weird stuff. When it is cranking it does sound totally dead so I will change the fuel filter and check the fpr.

misfit6794
04-26-07, 09:39 AM
i forgot to ask, have you pulled any codes? You may have a bad ground or failing battery. I suspect the fuel system tho

Eldobroken
04-26-07, 07:50 PM
i forgot to ask, have you pulled any codes? You may have a bad ground or failing battery. I suspect the fuel system tho
nice call what had happened and the caddy dealer said they never seen this before was. The coil module ground spring was litterly burning up and melting everything around it. I ran 2 #8 grounds 1 to each head. Runs great now.

misfit6794
04-26-07, 08:38 PM
WHo needs mechanics when you got us? Never heard of something like that happening before. Glad it was an easy fix, i knew my useless knowledge would come in handy some day.

Eldobroken
04-27-07, 07:13 AM
WHo needs mechanics when you got us? Never heard of something like that happening before. Glad it was an easy fix, i knew my useless knowledge would come in handy some day.
LOL it was a mechanics suggestion after 5 days of my troubleshooting. He said check the grounds also but I also replaced the fuel filter,FPR,Coil Modules, Crank position sensors,ERR,Spark Plugs and a few other things I forgot my garage looks like WW2 I have to clean up. But thanks I had a hard time finding out if that spring was a ground or a 12v lead though it is just a ground and to the block not the head. Thanks again guys.

z06bigbird
05-03-07, 10:55 AM
Sounds like a visit to a garage with a good diagnostic machine and some of your $$.

custom-uniforms
05-04-07, 11:24 PM
If your Cadillac stalls for no reason invest $5.00 in throttle body cleaner, you can take off the air cleaner box and spray right inside the air intake reving the ingine high by hand so it does not stall and the other half a bottle spray in to the PCV valve with the suction while reving it high.

My 1999 Deville was stalling a week ago but it is now fixed. I changed the two crankcase position sensors and the vehicle speed sensor from diagnosing the codes and it stalled again. These codes were set as a result of the stall condition not the cause of the condition. I was ready to move on to the ignition control module and the fuel pump when I remeber when I got a 1994 STS years ago it also stalled for no apparent reason and the fix was a dealer carbon clean . Well I did not want to spend the $100.00 for the carbon clean on a gamble so I tried throttle body clearner in the intake and PCV and it has not stalled for 7 days and it was fixed for $5.00.

Northstar motors build up a lot of carbon and the intake should be cleaned this way once a year at least. I also changed the gap on the Delco spark plugs tonight up to 5.5 rather than the stock 5.0 gap. This burns the fuel better to reduce carbon and and it seams to make the car have more horsepower and low end torque. I might put the gap up to 6.0 and see if it back fires, looses power or drives like a big sports car. I think 5.0 was a compromise to keep the grandparents happy but the motor build up carbon to the point of stalling and will need to be carbon cleaned as part of a tune up.

Ranger
05-04-07, 11:53 PM
Well, your partially right. The TB should be cleaned once a year, but just praying TB cleaner into it won't do much. You need to open the throttle plate (engine off) wide open, spray, scrub and wipe the TB bore and throttle plate til it is clean. Just spraying it into the intake does nothing for the TB. It just gets ingested and burned. Likewise with the PCV. Open it up and take a look at your TB bore and the backside of your throttle plate and you'll see what I mean.

As far as plug gap goes, I don't think it has any affect on carbon build up or performance. I'd set it at factory specs.