: Auto light features '15 second delay

da_thrilla
04-25-07, 02:46 PM
Why do the headlights come on after 15 seconds in a tunnel (during daytime), it should react much faster, mercs and bimmers turn on right away...

Is there any possible way to fix/change this?

MortnCyn
04-25-07, 07:10 PM
I turn on the fogs before entering the tunnel. Have noticed the delay you refer to.

Northern SRX
04-26-07, 05:38 AM
The logic was, IIRC, that we drivers didn't want our lights coming on when stuck in traffic under an overpass in daylight. :rolleyes:

I've had cars with this feature for 7 years now and the slight delay has never bothered me. I guess if I encountered circumstances suddenly requiring headlights, I'd turn them on manually.

ewill3rd
04-26-07, 06:10 AM
Mainly so that if you are driving on a road in a heavily wooded area, as an example, you don't want your car's lights flashing on and off like a disco dance floor of and on as the roadside obstacles block the sunlight from the sensor.

Changing it would not be a "fix", the system is set up that way so the car verifies that ambient light conditions warrant switching of operational modes for a brief delay.

Playdrv4me
04-26-07, 06:35 PM
I dont know what you are talking about, every car Ive ever owned with Auto headlights, including my 2004 330Ci have a 5-15 second delay in turning on the lights after entering a darkened area. Its never been instant for the reason ewill noted.

c5 rv
04-26-07, 07:09 PM
One of the nice features about the SRX (and the CTS before) is the headlight-on indicator on the dash. Most other cars don't provide a positive indicator that your automatic headlights are on. I also like the way the lights turn on automatically after you've had the windshield wipers on for more than a few seconds. It's required by law in some states and just good practice. (Some cars do this and others don't.)

As for the twilight sentinal, I've notice that the Cadillacs turn on the lights later than some other cars. When I'm headed home at twilight, I'll find myself speeding up to get home before the lights flip on - especially through shaded areas. Yes, I know it's juvenile.

da_thrilla
04-27-07, 09:30 AM
I dont know what you are talking about, every car Ive ever owned with Auto headlights, including my 2004 330Ci have a 5-15 second delay in turning on the lights after entering a darkened area. Its never been instant for the reason ewill noted.

Um, well, I own a '05 A6, '03 M3 and they all turn on instantly when the car enters a darkended area...furthermore, my 2007 CL 500, also turns on instantly.

Its no big deal, but some times you have tunnels after one another and the delays results in enver having the headlights on when u need them...

z06bigbird
05-03-07, 10:17 AM
It is set up that way so that LEO does not stop you for blinking lights when you are driving in an area where the light on front of car is sporadic/spastic, etc.

keeton
05-03-07, 07:39 PM
As ewill3rd explained, the delay in the auto-on is to keep the lights from constantly flashing at the slightest temporary light blockage.

Not to worry, though. There IS a way to make the lights come on instantly! Do the following:

1. Find light switch. Yeah, I know it's been a while.
2. Turn to "On". A gentle twisting motion will do this. You'll get better with practice.
3. Problem solved. :thumbsup:

da_thrilla
05-06-07, 11:09 AM
As ewill3rd explained, the delay in the auto-on is to keep the lights from constantly flashing at the slightest temporary light blockage.

Not to worry, though. There IS a way to make the lights come on instantly! Do the following:

1. Find light switch. Yeah, I know it's been a while.
2. Turn to "On". A gentle twisting motion will do this. You'll get better with practice.
3. Problem solved. :thumbsup:

Keeton, no shit...

Thanks to all the other members for their USEFUL and PROFESSIONAL input.

Makes sense now.