: Oscillating vibration rear left wheel

neve1064
04-25-07, 08:57 AM
Wouldn't an unbalanced tire vibrate at a constant rate if the speed traveling is constant? I thought so. But last weekend on a cross state trip, I felt a strong vibration coming from the left rear wheel but it wasn't constant - it oscillated. 2005 SRX (all the toys) speed this happened at was 82 mph. Now there is something I have to say: this tire has had a leak problem since we got the car. THree differnt tire repair shops haven't been able to find the source of the leak. Maybe it's the stem? I don't know. Does this have something to do with the vibration?

GMJim
04-25-07, 10:51 AM
Only go 81MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a tire patched before, and it was never the same. I replaced my stock 17's on my last SRX at about 21K due to vibration. tread was still good, just rode like crap.

MortnCyn
04-26-07, 06:59 AM
Only go 81MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a tire patched before, and it was never the same. I replaced my stock 17's on my last SRX at about 21K due to vibration. tread was still good, just rode like crap.Assume the original tires were Goodyear. Other than bad ride how did the tires wear?
I saw more rear tire wear on our '04 and am seeing the same thing on the '05.
What brand and size were the replacements on the '04?

john d
04-26-07, 06:05 PM
It could be the squirrill that's inside the tire who's duty it is to keep the wheel in balance by running around inside the tire like in a squirrill cage.
At 81 mph the poor baby's feet get hot and it can't keep up!
Wait for rain or cooler weather and it will go away.
Makes as much sense as some other explainations one may get for their SRX problems from Cadillac!

neve1064
04-26-07, 06:34 PM
today the air pressure sensor stopped working on that rear left tire. It reads as zero psi in the inboard computer.

MortnCyn
04-27-07, 10:22 AM
Certainly could be one of several things. The oscillating makes one think that the tire or wheel is not round. Had a friend with a car that it took several months to finally check the wheel to be sure it was round.

GMJim
04-27-07, 10:53 AM
Assume the original tires were Goodyear. Other than bad ride how did the tires wear?
I saw more rear tire wear on our '04 and am seeing the same thing on the '05.
What brand and size were the replacements on the '04?

yes they were Goodyear. They wore pretty good. I got 18" rims and
put Michilen's on. I was very happy with them. Traded the car in with
62K miles. Never a problem.

fg3
04-28-07, 09:26 AM
We have an '07 SRX4 that vibrates. Comes and goes at highway speeds. Rides horribly.. the dealer claims it's all normal of course.

I really don't know what to do at this point....

If any of you get this resolved, please post!

FG3

The Tony Show
04-30-07, 04:54 PM
I've seen a few bad tires on SRXs, usually rears. If your dealer doesn't have a road force balancing machine, find one that does. A Hunter GSP9700 (or equivalent) will find the problem.

z06bigbird
05-03-07, 10:09 AM
broken belt in tire?

HiTechOilCo
05-09-07, 12:36 AM
Wouldn't an unbalanced tire vibrate at a constant rate if the speed traveling is constant? I thought so. But last weekend on a cross state trip, I felt a strong vibration coming from the left rear wheel but it wasn't constant - it oscillated. 2005 SRX (all the toys) speed this happened at was 82 mph. Now there is something I have to say: this tire has had a leak problem since we got the car. THree differnt tire repair shops haven't been able to find the source of the leak. Maybe it's the stem? I don't know. Does this have something to do with the vibration?

This vibration needs to be diagnosed to uncover the real cause of the problem. Rotate the L.R. tire to the R.F. and vice versa, then take the car for a test drive. If the same vibration is present in the L.R., then the tire is not at fault, but a mechanical condition within the vehicle exists. This would most likely be a wheel bearing. However if the vibration has now moved to the R.F., we now know we have a tire balance issue, or a possibly out of round tire, or a bent wheel, or a combination of any of these three. This can be diagnosed using a wheel balance machine and a radial run out gauge. This is not a difficult problem to diagnose and I am surprised you have not found a competent auto center to take care of this problem for you.

TNRiveras
08-07-07, 05:20 PM
Had the same problem with my 2004 SRX.....leak in right rear tire...couldn't find....vibration/rumbling noise coming from rear of vehicle....thought it was my tires which were out of balance...bought 4 new Michelin Pilots...no fix on the vibration...dealer finally diagnosed problem as right rear hub bearing failing...of course at 53,000 miles...3000 miles out of warranty...currently negotiating with Cadillac service to cover cost....they have offered to cover the parts if I cover the labor...$300 for them vs $250 for me....still not satisfied....my advice....complain about everything under warranty!!!:worship: