: PLEASE HELP-1979 Coupe Deville Transmission

blakediamond
04-24-07, 09:57 PM
so i got this 79 from a friend w only 150 k. my tranny went out, it'll only kick into reverse sometimes. when i refilled the tranny fluids i did not know i had to put dexron. anyways im looking to just purchase a new tranny and motor. any suggestions or estimates? or any sites i could look at. thanks guys..

Old Fleetwood
04-24-07, 11:24 PM
IMNSHO, if the $$$ isn't a real bear of a problem, get an LT1 and a Carolina Performance Transmissions Stage II Transmisson to back it up.
With your model year I don't think you'd have to muck around with all the electronics of the 4L60E and Shane Cobb could build you a beauty.

Benzilla
04-25-07, 08:20 AM
Why? He can just drop in a built 500 big block...

jayoldschool
04-25-07, 08:56 AM
so i got this 79 from a friend w only 150 k. my tranny went out, it'll only kick into reverse sometimes. when i refilled the tranny fluids i did not know i had to put dexron. anyways im looking to just purchase a new tranny and motor. any suggestions or estimates? or any sites i could look at. thanks guys..

Why replace the engine? Is there something wrong with it, too? You should just replace the trans. That TH400 is cheap to replace or rebuild. Before you pull it, try getting the fluid flushed (not drained) and refilled. Might work.

blakediamond
05-09-07, 07:59 PM
ok so it's deff my tran, i need a good place to get a new or rebuilt th 400. or something a long those lines. im new to old school caddys so any help would be appreciated. im just wondering how much im lookin at spending. as well other types of trannys thad work well with my 79. thanks guys!

Night Wolf
05-10-07, 05:38 AM
I agree, unless there is something wrong with the engine... no need to change out the 425, unless you wanted to make a hot rod.

In that case there would be no better choice then a nicely built 472/500.... but if the 425 is enough power for ya... keep it.

Jonas McFeely
05-10-07, 08:05 AM
A GOOD replacement tranny(by itself,no install) is going to be $800 +. I was quoted $1050 for a used tranny and driveshaft(installed) for my '85 Brougham.That only had a 30 day warranty. Turned out they were making a horrible attempt at raping me,and i only needed new tranny mounts($105 installed plus re-welded my exhaust for free),but yeah. Do your homework. Wow im crunk.

devilock76
05-10-07, 09:06 AM
ok so it's deff my tran, i need a good place to get a new or rebuilt th 400. or something a long those lines. im new to old school caddys so any help would be appreciated. im just wondering how much im lookin at spending. as well other types of trannys thad work well with my 79. thanks guys!

If you are in NC I can recommend at 1 if not 2 people to you to rebuild the tranny.

Ken