: Need Replacement Battery Cables

3rd
04-24-07, 11:13 AM
I need to replace atleast the metal hook-up parts of my battery cables, cus theyre all bent, dented, old and loose, anybody know how much something like this would cost or have any ideas where I do it?

jayoldschool
04-24-07, 12:05 PM
Any parts place will have replacement ends. They will be under 10 bucks. If you are keeping your car factory-correct, you should be able to get complete cables from Year One, but they will be much, much more $$$.

3rd
04-24-07, 01:49 PM
is it somethin I could do or would I have to take it to a mechanic to get the wires right?

jayoldschool
04-24-07, 02:09 PM
No - you should be able to do it yourself easily. You will need to buy the battery terminal ends, and cut the factory ends off. Then, strip the insulation back and attach the new ends. Put the cables back on the battery, and you are done.

http://www.vteworld.com/content/electromech/BatteryTerminals/images/3549.gif

3rd
04-24-07, 02:54 PM
ok cool, thanks alot

Junkman
05-08-07, 10:31 PM
One of the problems is that when the original battery terminal ends are worn out, the battery cable itself needs to be replaced. I have taken old battery cables and splint the insulation down the length of the wire to show people how the wire will have corrosion on the inside of the insulation. This corrosion will lead to hard starting problems since it will put additional resistance on the current flow from the battery to the starter motor. I only will recommend that the type of terminals that are pictured above be used for a temporary repair until the proper battery cable can be installed. I have known people that have installed them, and have had good luck for a year or so, only to find that one day the car won't start no matter what they do. Then only replacement of the cables will remedy the starting problems.

Old Fleetwood
05-08-07, 10:53 PM
Good advice, Junk!
Unless things have changed since last week, there are battery cables in blister packs at auto parts stores in various lengths which don't cost an arm and a leg.
All that's needed is to pull the NEGATIVE post to kill the likelihood of shock and replace things.
Replacing both POSITIVE and NEGATIVE cables would be a good idea on an older vehicle. And using a tiny dab of conductive grease at the ends isn't a bad idea either.