: Changing Fogs/Headlights

jjsocrazy
04-23-07, 01:00 PM
I have an 07 STS V6 loaded and I wish to change the headlights (lowbeam) and the foglights. I believe the Headlights are H11 and Fogs are H3, if I am correct. Anyone know any experience with this, or if this causes problems?

For the headlights I wish to get a superwhite color, very bright white.
For the foglights I wish to get a blue/xenon color.

I am going to get tints soon from a guy who has a business that installs things for cars (sound systems, tints, alarms, etc.) and does business at my dads place for cadillac's and such. He will do it for me and I was wondering if it is safe to do, looks better, or if anyone has attempted this?

Thanks!

Spddemon
05-21-07, 10:30 PM
I am in the same boat you are... It sucks that you can't get stock hids on the v6. I have done a lot of looking around, but waiting to order a grill and change that and the lights at the same time. If you don't want to upgrade to HIDs the best replacements are:

low: H11 - PIAA - Extreme White
High: 9005 Sylvania Silver Star Ultra
fog: h3 - Sylvania Silver Star

I had the 9005/9006 Silver Star Ultra and h3 silver star in my old car(3000GT) which had projection lights, The sylvanias are the best non-hid bulbs on the market and you won't be disappointed with the look. However, I personally didn't like the old PIAAs(they were always too blueish) but the new h11 bulbs are suppose to be pretty white. If I change mine this week i'll try and post some night pics. but let me know how yours turn out. Also while your at it, PIAA offers some LED interior lights you may want to check out.

-Joe

jjsocrazy
05-21-07, 11:08 PM
I have bought the sylvania silver star bulbs for my fogs the h3 bulbs, and didn't put them in yet, there are the blu-ish color if I am correct. Do you think getting these bulbs are good enough because I was thinking of buying an HID kit for my fogs? Would it be good to do that or should I stick with the bulbs. Also how do the fogs and low beams look?

Thanks!

Spddemon
05-21-07, 11:33 PM
All higher burning bulbs have a light bluish tint just because of the temperature they burn at. however, when lit up they are pretty white looking(with a small blueish tint) they are pretty close to the stock hid look. If you ever go with a actual blue tinted bulb (sylvia CB, then it will take on a darker blue look)

I have attached a link of how the Silver stars look on at night.

<http://hometown.aol.com/programone/myhomepage/auto.html>

jjsocrazy
05-22-07, 04:21 PM
Looks good for the silverstars, although I was wondering do you think it would be any problem if I were to get an HID conversion kit for my fogs?

Thanks!

Spddemon
05-23-07, 10:49 AM
no it wouldn't... that is the best way to go, but each kit should run between 200-400, and can get costly to do the H11, H3, & 9005. if you have the cash, i'd switch to HIDs.

jjsocrazy
05-23-07, 02:15 PM
I got these for my foglights what do you think?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120124102392&rd=1&rd=1

Spddemon
05-24-07, 10:48 AM
Everything looks good, but with HID kits you don't know until you install them... good luck, let me know how they look.

jjsocrazy
05-24-07, 11:24 PM
Thanks, I hope they work well. I am also getting the OEM STS V8 HID's for the headlights through my fathers work for my V6, I want to go as original as possible.

Earthdog
05-26-07, 07:13 AM
I got bulbs myself but I was a little lost on how to get to the olds ones to remove. Any tips?