: Rear Hatch & Roof Binder-Bender

bmeup
04-23-07, 01:28 PM
After opening the rear hatch on our brand new '07 about 5 times the hatch got bound up on the roof and proceeded to open and close itself in spasms for 1 or 2 minutes before it stopped. (Reminded me of the commercial where the garage door keeps opening and closing on the hood of the woman's car.) Anyway now the top of the hatch and the roof are bent and the car is in the body shop. I was told this was an '04 service bulletin. Has anyone else dealt with this and was it fixed properly?

TSS
04-23-07, 01:57 PM
Thankfully no. Never heard of that problem before either.

GMJim
04-23-07, 02:18 PM
Fisrt I have heard of this. Power liftgate wasn't used until 06.

Playdrv4me
04-26-07, 07:02 PM
It sounds like the door was not properly aligned from the factory, or the tolerances were not setup properly in the auto-lift gear.

I would really like to see pictures of this if the car hasnt been fixed yet.

louisn
04-26-07, 09:53 PM
IMHO, the liftgate, whether manual or auto, is the single biggest problem in the srx. From sticking latches to leaking to misalignments to shoddy looking weather stripping to this new auto problem. Makes me want to :alchi:.

MortnCyn
04-27-07, 08:15 AM
For some reason I thought he was referring to the rear roof hatch of the Ultra-View that is the UltraView Plus, power glass roof that opens over first and second rows, tilt-sliding with Express-Open, glass over third row and power sunshades.

louisn
04-27-07, 08:27 AM
For some reason I thought he was referring to the rear roof hatch of the Ultra-View that is the UltraView Plus, power glass roof that opens over first and second rows, tilt-sliding with Express-Open, glass over third row and power sunshades.

:confused:
You may be right! It's unclear.

bmeup
04-27-07, 05:04 PM
It sounds like the door was not properly aligned from the factory, or the tolerances were not setup properly in the auto-lift gear.

I would really like to see pictures of this if the car hasnt been fixed yet.

According to the dealer's body shop, you are right on the money. Except that it is not directly related to the auto lift gear. Apparently it has been a known service issue since the '04 models and as GMJim pointed out, the power lift gates were new in '06. I do not have an Ultra View roof.

You would not have wanted to see a picture; the roof was bent down and the top of the gate was bent up.

Anyway, we had the car for 16 days before this happened and the dealer has now had it for 14 days as of today. I was given an ETA of sometime next week.

We did enjoy the 16 days though.

GMJim
04-27-07, 11:16 PM
Bummer. I hope that's the first and last issue you have with it.

Playdrv4me
04-27-07, 11:22 PM
According to the dealer's body shop, you are right on the money. Except that it is not directly related to the auto lift gear. Apparently it has been a known service issue since the '04 models and as GMJim pointed out, the power lift gates were new in '06. I do not have an Ultra View roof.

You would not have wanted to see a picture; the roof was bent down and the top of the gate was bent up.

Anyway, we had the car for 16 days before this happened and the dealer has now had it for 14 days as of today. I was given an ETA of sometime next week.

We did enjoy the 16 days though.

Sorry to hear about this. I am relatively confident you wont have anymore of those kinds of problems from here on out. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Adameglin1
04-30-07, 01:58 PM
I had this problem with a 2004 SRX after getting it fixed 4 times the car was a lemon and i got a new one a 06"

The Tony Show
04-30-07, 05:49 PM
Fortunately, it's a known issue and there is a bulletin that describes the condition and how to fix it.

The problem is the panel above the 3rd brake light- It lifts up due to improper adhesion and subsequently hits the roof when the liftgate is opened. The best news is that the roof panel it damaged is replaceable, so they'll take care of everything for you. I haven't heard of it happening on an 07 until now- the bulletin came out last year. 05 and 06 models were the only ones affilcted, or so I thought.

Sorry to hear about the problem, but rest assured it'll be a free repair for you.

z06bigbird
05-03-07, 11:11 AM
sounds like a trip to dealer.

bmeup
05-04-07, 12:01 PM
I picked up the car last night exactly three weeks to the day after returning the car to the dealer to repair the hatch and the roof. I'd forgotten how nice the car drives. After driving a Suburban loaner for 3 weeks, it was a dramatic change. Plus, I won't miss those $90 fill ups.

Anyway, thanks for all the posts. Hopefully, this will be the end of this thread.