: I Know, It Looks Grimm......

DopeStar 156
04-23-07, 12:33 AM
.....but I'm looking up. My poor car is in need of work but I intend to do it all and take it slow. In no way are these new turns of events marking the end of my Chrimson Behemoth. In advance I'm thanking everyone who will help and who currently is. I think with the proper help I can get her running like she did on the day I got her......

JTraik
04-23-07, 06:31 AM
What happened?

DopeStar 156
04-23-07, 08:38 AM
Nothing tragic, I just have a few problems I wanna take care of like the shifting problem, stalling and low idle, and the whirring sound coming from the front end. A couple people have suggested I get rid of the car but that's just not an option.....

arivera
04-23-07, 12:00 PM
:) I bought my 93 fleetwood for 4800 bucks. no bougham, just a fleetwood. i bout it in the city, so of course i got screwed. but it was a birthday present to myself, so **** it. We all have to splurge on ourselves once in a while, right? A month in to having the car, the rear axle went out on me. 500 bucks. Brakes, all brand new. 200 bucks, Somebody tried breaking into it 6 months later, so I put an alarm. 300 bucks. My girlfrined's ex friend keys my whole car a year into me having the car. i'm getting quotes for 3000 to 4000 dollars. My suspensions is completely gone, another 300 bucks. My cat went bad earlier this month. 400 bucks. My blower motor went bad this past Janurary. 150 bucks.

In the two years that i've had the car, It's value has lowered to half what i paid for. I've since put what it's actually worth back into the car just to make it driveable. Long story short, It's all worth it. Keep at it, brother. The guys in here are great. we're all rooting for you to keep that bad boy and make it better than original. :)

DopeStar 156
04-23-07, 12:43 PM
The good thing about my situation is I have a daily driver to get around and can sit on the Fleetwood's problems until I can afford to tackle them.......

Jonas McFeely
04-23-07, 03:29 PM
:) I bought my 93 fleetwood for 4800 bucks. no bougham, just a fleetwood. i bout it in the city, so of course i got screwed. but it was a birthday present to myself, so **** it. We all have to splurge on ourselves once in a while, right? A month in to having the car, the rear axle went out on me. 500 bucks. Brakes, all brand new. 200 bucks, Somebody tried breaking into it 6 months later, so I put an alarm. 300 bucks. My girlfrined's ex friend keys my whole car a year into me having the car. i'm getting quotes for 3000 to 4000 dollars. My suspensions is completely gone, another 300 bucks. My cat went bad earlier this month. 400 bucks. My blower motor went bad this past Janurary. 150 bucks.

In the two years that i've had the car, It's value has lowered to half what i paid for. I've since put what it's actually worth back into the car just to make it driveable. Long story short, It's all worth it. Keep at it, brother. The guys in here are great. we're all rooting for you to keep that bad boy and make it better than original. :)

You sir,are a rare breed.I really respect you now that i know that.I couldnt begin to tell you how many people told me to just "get rid" of my Brougham when she was giving me shit. It takes a deep love for a car to put in 2 or 3 times what its worth. Ive spent well over $2,500 on my car,and i paid $800 for it.

moai
04-23-07, 04:22 PM
I am the same way.

I bought my 79 SDV for $300, and I fixed the brakes ($173), fixed burnt wires to the headlights ($105--cheap!), and I am about to put tires on it that'll run $850 or so. Then a new vinyl top ($350?) and maybe paint if a wash and wax don't get it where I want.

I am lucky that my car is totally mechanically sound, but even if it weren't I don't care. I know eventually I'll have to get into the motor and tranny, but big whoop. You hear it all the time, but they REALLY don't make 'em like that anymore!

I never, ever want to part with it and I don't care how much it costs to keep it tip-top. Best car i have ever owned, by far. I am totally in love with it, so that's it. May as well throw money into a car I already own than pay $450 a month for some used tin can that I barely fit in and rides like crap and won't be worth a damn when it is finally mine.

Sorry, end of rant....

Old Fleetwood
04-23-07, 08:34 PM
Somewhere in the "back issues" of this BB, this same topic was thrashed around and the same result came up, too.
Sure, you're driving an old car. SO WHAT?
You're riding in comfort and style. You don't have car payments for some $25,000 piece of manure that would be worth $10,000 in ONE YEAR!
You want to talk depreciation??????????????:thepan:
All that's already happened, so you can go ahead and dump the $$ into your baby and ENJOY.
Meanwhile you're having fun. You're driving something you like.
I personally don't give a damn about impressing anybody. For all I care they can take their opinions about Cadillac and put them where the sun don't shine. I simply LOVE this car. It's fun to drive. It's comfortable, it's fast, it's wonderful on a long drive, it's one helluva tow truck for our PopUp RV, it's got a great A/C, good heater (after this BB taught me how to blow the crap out of the heater core), and I love the 'exit' thing that drops and pushes the seat back and down when I get in and out of the car.

AElayyat
04-23-07, 10:31 PM
.....but I'm looking up. My poor car is in need of work but I intend to do it all and take it slow. In no way are these new turns of events marking the end of my Chrimson Behemoth. In advance I'm thanking everyone who will help and who currently is. I think with the proper help I can get her running like she did on the day I got her......

bro, i was on the same boat up until ~6 months ago. I spent sooooooooooooooooooo much money on my 85, but I made a promise to myself that I would never do that with any car I own again. (these old rwd broughams are a different story though, they are becomming more rare).

don't let the tranny issues get you down, I went through 2 1/2 trannys in my 85 over a period of about 5 years. the key is to find a good shop to rebuild your tranny, just do your research and ask friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc and try to find a good tranny shop in your area.

for your idleing problems i would take the car to the caddy dealer, pay them for 1 hour of labor and they will hook up the carb. (usually the older mechanics can get the carbs tuned right).

I have currently put my 'mini' resto project to the side with my 89 brougham. she still needs a few things here and there (mainly cosmetic) but she will need a carb in the future, so I just wash her once a week (as long as the weather is not shitty) and take her out for a cruse on the week ends (i do the same for the 85 so she don't get jelous.

good luck, let us know what you did.

DopeStar 156
04-24-07, 12:19 AM
I just bought a Magnaflow cat for the car on ebay for $70. This Friday (my day off) I'll put the new cat on and tomorrow I'll have a look at the front wheels to try to determine the cause of the whirring sound. So far I've heard sticky brakes and loose wheel cover. Hopefully it's the wheel cover, haha........

Cadillac_Fan
04-27-07, 07:59 AM
I echo the sentiments of our fellow Cadiholics on the forum. Glad to know you're keeping your Brougham despite the issues, as it's a real looker and these are becoming more difficult to find. As I've said before, too, prices seem to be holding steady for these Broughams, and in some instances, fetch a high dollar. They also appear scarce and harder and harder to find, as evidenced in my recent perusing of the 'Bay, cars.com, and traderonline.com.

I deeply regret selling my '79 Fleetwood Brougham. While I've already poured an insane amount into my '88 Brougham, I know if I sold her to replace with a similar Brougham of that era, I'd merely inherit someone else's headache and encounter all the repairs I've had to make to mine. At least you know what you've got, mechanically.

Do the repairs piecemeal, and you'll be happy that you didn't part with your great Cadillac.

DopeStar 156
04-27-07, 02:51 PM
Well, there's only one big problem left and that's the dragging passenger front brake. The catalytic converter is on it's way and awaiting installation and I'm gonna check the TV cable for disconnection. That sould take care of everything......

I'm putting a bloodstone pendulum in the car around the mirror to defend against harm and dangerous situations. It's time for some metaphysical protection....

davedbusman
04-27-07, 06:09 PM
If you were nearby I'd be happy to help. I've owned 3 cars with Olds 307s and they are unusual. Find someone who knows older Oldsmobiles.

ReagansRollsRoyce
04-30-07, 09:14 PM
The good thing about my situation is I have a daily driver to get around and can sit on the Fleetwood's problems until I can afford to tackle them.......

This is one thing I wish I had.

It is going to be one of the first things I do once I'm out of law school and in the office full time. Don't care if it's an '85 Accord with a dent on the side. Have to have something else to drive while I give good mechanics the time they need to keep the Brougham going...

Good luck with all of it.

Cadillac Giovanni
05-01-07, 06:22 PM
Hey, look on the bright side. Even if your car is sitting in the driveway, at least it still LOOKS good!

Older cars always have problems, and sometimes the bigger ones feel they need to all hang up on you at once, but no fear, i'm sure it'll all come out in the wash.

A daily driver, however, is one thing I don't think I could handle. To relegate my Cadillac to "secondary" status is something I could never do. When problems arise, i go without a car until i can fix them, or get them fixed. I think to be seen driving anything but my brougham would cause suspicion and alarm among friends and relatives.

DopeStar 156
05-02-07, 12:05 AM
Hey, look on the bright side. Even if your car is sitting in the driveway, at least it still LOOKS good!

Older cars always have problems, and sometimes the bigger ones feel they need to all hang up on you at once, but no fear, i'm sure it'll all come out in the wash.

A daily driver, however, is one thing I don't think I could handle. To relegate my Cadillac to "secondary" status is something I could never do. When problems arise, i go without a car until i can fix them, or get them fixed. I think to be seen driving anything but my brougham would cause suspicion and alarm among friends and relatives.

I know, I felt that way too, but I'm reminded how by doing this I'm preserving the longivity of my lovely Fleetwood. I drive 100 miles a day and that would just kill my car, so I beat up a 99 Taurus and don't feel bad at all.....

Oh, and my new cat came in!!! It goes on Friday, YEAH!!!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1989%20Fleetwood%20Brougham/newcat.jpg

z06bigbird
05-03-07, 10:38 AM
I love your car.

Jonas McFeely
05-03-07, 03:57 PM

Mine has been a daily driver for almost 2 and half years now.Got her with original 43k,it now has 71k. With the exception of an '85 300ZX and an '86 CRX SI i drove to work for maybe a total of 2 months out of those 2+ years.

She is slowly falling apart,especially when you have multiple people in it all the time. I love my car,but using it everyday is killing it. Im in the market for a second car right now.Trying to get my dad's black '96 MX6 V6 5 speed or get a 97-99 Maxima 5 speed.

I respect that you will only drive your Brougham,but i cant see how you do it!

Cadillac Giovanni
05-03-07, 05:51 PM
I respect that you will only drive your Brougham,but i cant see how you do it!

It's easy, I can't afford anything else!

I work close to home, so those miles aren't bad, but I make up for them with joyriding. I also prohibit my car from being a taxi most times, whenever the question comes up of "Who's car are we gonna take?", I always stay quiet, even though mine is big, comfy, and always clean.

Jonas McFeely
05-03-07, 06:07 PM
It's easy, I can't afford anything else!

I work close to home, so those miles aren't bad, but I make up for them with joyriding. I also prohibit my car from being a taxi most times, whenever the question comes up of "Who's car are we gonna take?", I always stay quiet, even though mine is big, comfy, and always clean.

Yeah whenever it comes up for who's gonna drive,im usually the one to jump at it,just because i love to drive her. Especially to the beach,its only 45-60 minutes away. My car is usually spotless inside,but no matter how much i bitch at friends to kick their shoes before they get in,they never do.

It sucks worse,because when Sage Green specific interior pieces get messed up, i cant do anything about it.

arivera
05-03-07, 06:32 PM
My fleetwood is my daily driver. 35 miles to work and 35 miles back. 5 days a week. then my girlfriend has three kids who love to get dirty and ride in my car. Now i have a 5 month old german shepard who's shedding like there's no tomorrow! she hops in the front seat like her name's on the title! i can't afford a second car either. I'm trying to save up and get a 90 fleetwood. yeah that's right. i want to buy another car that's even older than my current daily driver. It's a cadillac! what else is there?

Cadillac Giovanni
05-03-07, 07:01 PM
It sucks worse,because when Sage Green specific interior pieces get messed up, i cant do anything about it.

I never thought about that. That's rough. My friends always make a mess inside my car. Unfortunately, I have a bunch of friends who just don't appreciate cars. To them, a car is a machine to get them from point A to point B, and the back seat is a place to keep shitloads of CDs and empty soda cups. For some reason, they always screw up my front floormat, anyone who sits their shifts their feet so endlessly that they mash it up something awful. It's the only thing keeping me from getting new Cadillac-embroidered mats.

Have you ever thought about dyes? I'm not sure if they get as specific as "sage green", but if you buy a lighter colored piece, they can change the color quite permanently.

I figured if I ever needed a daily driver, I'd do the same. A similar car that I don't mind beating on a bit.

Although being a Cadillac, it would probably grow on me, and I'd start to take good care of it, and then I'd have TWO Cadillacs! Imagine the possibilities! Then from there it's only a short jump to three, and while I'm at it I may as well make it an even 5! A Cadillac for every day of the week, then! HAHA! YES! Nothing could stop me!

Jonas McFeely
05-03-07, 08:41 PM
I hear you 100% on the floor mat thing,it always ends up getting scrunched up against the footwell. Bastards.

I had a near mint '85 Seville for a few months that i fixed up and sold to a guy in England. I miss that car. I had an '88 Brougham clunker that i used for its bumper and grille. So ive had 2 Caddys on two seperate occasions. Im about to get a '78 Buick Century to fix up and sell.I'll post some pics. Heres the Seville:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/11-11-2006-07.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/11-11-2006-23.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/11-11-2006-24.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/11-11-2006-19.jpg

Cadillac Giovanni
05-03-07, 11:22 PM
Wow, that's awesome, very slick!

I've always been down the middle on Sevilles. I love the squared off car shape of older caddies, and that's a bit of a break in the tradition, but they certainly are unique cars, and very good looking if taken care of.

Super cool!

DopeStar 156
05-04-07, 02:10 AM
I'm one of the few members that likes those Sevilles, I've looked at a few before.....

Old Fleetwood
05-04-07, 12:21 PM
I'll echo Giovanni - I never was too wild about what I felt was the "broken back" look of the Seville; just like the same appearance of many Rolls Royce, Bentley, Daimler and other large British luxury cars.
But this one, especially that side view is, IMNSHO, is spectacular. I'm not sure if it's the wire wheels or what, but it sure is striking. I can't even fault the faux RR grille which I usually detest. Somehow it seems to work on the full front face photo.
Nice job.:thumbsup: